Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

As a guest, do expect a chicken option for a sit down dinner?

Hi all,

The too-long-didn't-read question of this entire post is whether chicken ought to be one of three options on our dinner menu. Read on for all of the details.

I'm jumping the gun here a bit--my wedding isn't until the summer of 2015 but I have selected a venue and the menu (along with many other goodies!) is on its way in the mail. It's winter break for me so I have nothing better to do than to start seriously planning this wedding while I still have some free time.

For dinner, we are to select 3 options (from a list of 70!) that will be served in addition to the vegetarian, vegan, gluten free, and kosher options. Due to the amount of options, there is no tasting but this company is known for having some of the best wedding food in our area. 

We know that for one of our options, we will select one of the many filet mignon dishes (they have different sauces and preparations). Our second option will likely be a seafood dish. We are going to stay away from shellfish because more people tend to be allergic and we will also have a ton of shellfish at our cocktail hour, anyway.

For our final option, I'm a bit torn. I know people traditionally serve chicken. I was thinking of doing something maybe a little more exciting. They have a duck breast in a Grand Marnier sauce that looks amazing. They also do a rack of lamb in a blueberry demi-glaze, but I thought the lamb might be too heavy because we are also serving steak. There are plenty of other options.

Is chicken served traditionally because it is popular or because of the price? The price per head that we are charged does not change with the dishes we serve, so I thought it might be nice to serve the best of the best! I just don't know what guests like or expect. This is really one of the first big events I've ever thrown.

Any feedback is appreciated! I don't know the etiquette rules on this one.

Re: As a guest, do expect a chicken option for a sit down dinner?

• I think chicken is usually utilized because people know chicken--it's universal, plus it's usually less expensive (not an issue for you).  If you're already doing a beef/steak, seafood, I think chicken sounds reasonable and is a good option over duck or lamb (two meats many people don't like, although I do).  As long as you and FI like ir or think you will, I don't think it will be an issue and it doesn't sound like you can go wrong. 
  • We didn't have chicken.  We had lamb, sea bass, and pasta options.

I wouldn't do lamb if you are doing steak.  Duck sounds awesome and steak is a good standard option for those who won't like duck.  For reference, the lamb was probably the most popular entrees at the wedding, but it our crowd is really into lamb and I'm not sure about most people.
  • I agree that chicken is usually there because it's a basic white meat staple that can be dressed up in a thousand ways. It's a good catch-all and is nice for pickier eaters.

I think chicken actually fits nicely into your menu, but the duck could work as well. It depends upon your crowd really. I wouldn't do two red meats though just for variety's sake. 
  • Our only meat was pulled pork. 

Since you have several options, it might be nice to provide a darker meat (steak, lamb, duck), a lighter meat (chicken or pork), and a seafood. Chicken is usually served because it's bland and therefore fairly popular, cheaper, and Jewish and Muslim people can eat it (unlike pork, which some avoid).
  • kjvaracalli:Thanks for the input! I personally LOVE duck but its hard trying to feed 175-220 people! I want to make sure everyone enjoys the event!

BlueBirdMB: Sounds like we have similar taste! We are considering the sea bass for our fish dish! Our cocktail hour has a pasta station so we won't do pasta as a main dish but at least we will be serving it at some point :) I'm leaning towards duck if we are already planning on serving stead, but the pistachio encrusted lamb with the blueberry demi-glaze sounds so amazing.We are able to serve grilled baby lamb chops at our cocktail hour so maybe that will take care of that issue :) Thanks for the feedback -- sounds like your wedding food was delish!

PDKH: I'm with you in not serving two red meats. Maybe we could play up a bunch of chicken dishes in our cocktail hour and then serve duck for dinner. We would have a ton of variety at that point!

emmyg65: Good point about the pork! I would have forgotten that! I generally shy away from pork anyway, for whatever reason (unless it's pulled pork--yum!) Fortunately, we are not worried about it being cheaper. The price per head is the price per head.

Thank you all for the feedback so far! I would love to hear about more menus or what you might like to be served as a guest at a wedding!

It is worth mentioning that we are having a HUGE cocktail hour. We have a chilled station that will include chilled seafoods and pastas (like shrimp, crab claws, oysters, cheese tortellini, penne with veggies, artichokes, greek salad, etc.) a hot station (with crab legs, lobster tails, steamed clams, mussels, meatballs, etc.), a grilled veggie station, a cheese and meat station, a station with assorted specialties (like pepper shooters, mozzarella balls, polenta, baked brie, fruit, etc.), 30 passed hors-d'oeuvres, 2 interactive stations (hot pastas and sushi), as well as crab cakes, a lobster and risotto martini bar, and some other asian specialty foods. 

It is difficult to appeal to the palettes of 200-ish people so we are trying our best to keep a wide variety of foods. I have four vegetarian bridesmaids so it has also been important to me to incorporate a ton of vegetarian options in the cocktail hour in addition to the vegetarian dish!

• Yum. Where's my invite?
  • Blergbot said:
    Yum. Where's my invite?
    Co-signed.

I think either chicken or the duck breast dish in your menu would sound wonderful.
  • Blergbot said:
    Yum. Where's my invite?

Jen4948 said:
    Blergbot said:
    Yum. Where's my invite?
    Co-signed.

I think either chicken or the duck breast dish in your menu would sound wonderful.

Thanks for the re-assurance! I could have never anticipated all that goes into planning an event like this. My dad is definitely rooting for the duck breast!
  • As PPs mentioned, chicken is universal. You can't go wrong with a chicken option. 

On the flip side, though, I appreciate nontraditional choices. I LOVE lamb, but I'd refrain from choosing that since you mentioned you already have a heavier meat. Whatever your third choice, be sure it's something lighter to balance the other options. 

It sounds like you have more than enough options to meet your guests' preferences and are truly considering the comfort of your guests! Kudos to you for being a great hostess.
  • ElcaB said:
    As PPs mentioned, chicken is universal. You can't go wrong with a chicken option. 

On the flip side, though, I appreciate nontraditional choices. I LOVE lamb, but I'd refrain from choosing that since you mentioned you already have a heavier meat. Whatever your third choice, be sure it's something lighter to balance the other options. 

It sounds like you have more than enough options to meet your guests' preferences and are truly considering the comfort of your guests! Kudos to you for being a great hostess.
    That's true about the universality of chicken. You're right about lamb being a heavier meat and choosing a lighter meat. I went back over the menu and found that I could serve lamb chops as one of my passed hors-d'oeuvres so that takes care of that issue! You all have such helpful feedback. I'll have to post my finalized menu (probably a year from now...haha) for any last minute revisions or feedback.

Thanks for the kind words! I'm trying!
  • I always appreciate chicken b/c I am freakishly picky, and chicken is one of the few things I know I can enjoy almost no matter how it is prepared. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I appreciate chicken, also.  I HATE red meat with any "pink" and thus rarely ever order beef, and while *I* like fish, a lot of people don't.  90% of the time, if I'm ordering food out, I choose chicken.
  • I usually never pick the chicken at a wedding, unless I don't prefer the other options. If you had filet and a fish dish I would pick one of those over chicken. I've been to plenty of weddings that only have a fish or a beef option and vegetarian. I think pick whatever 4th option you want, because it's really just an extra option. 

However, I also know that there are plenty of people that don't eat red meat or fish, so usually they would pick the vegetarian if those are the only choices. So you would really be covering all your bases if you picked chicken, but it sounds like you want something a little more unique. 

• I don't "expect" anything specific such as chicken.  As long as there are options that would please the majority of people and suit people's dietary restrictions, I think you are fine. 
  • AddieL73 said:
    I always appreciate chicken b/c I am freakishly picky, and chicken is one of the few things I know I can enjoy almost no matter how it is prepared. 

I appreciate chicken, also.  I HATE red meat with any "pink" and thus rarely ever order beef, and while *I* like fish, a lot of people don't.  90% of the time, if I'm ordering food out, I choose chicken.

It's good to get some opinions from those who would ordinarily order chicken. Thanks! 

laurynm84 said:
    I usually never pick the chicken at a wedding, unless I don't prefer the other options. If you had filet and a fish dish I would pick one of those over chicken. I've been to plenty of weddings that only have a fish or a beef option and vegetarian. I think pick whatever 4th option you want, because it's really just an extra option. 

However, I also know that there are plenty of people that don't eat red meat or fish, so usually they would pick the vegetarian if those are the only choices. So you would really be covering all your bases if you picked chicken, but it sounds like you want something a little more unique. 

I also rarely choose chicken! I suppose that it's true that often there are only fish or beef options alongside a vegetarian option. I do like the idea of doing something unique, and all of the food is supposed to be excellent! This is a good point, though, about it really being a fourth option.

doeydo said:
    I don't "expect" anything specific such as chicken.  As long as there are options that would please the majority of people and suit people's dietary restrictions, I think you are fine. 
    I suppose "anticipate" might have been a more accurate word! :) Even then, I appreciate that you might not anticipate anything, either. I can see how "expect" might have a sort of pejorative connotation, though. Fortunately, the venue has assured us that they are very good at accommodating  any dietary restrictions. Now I'm just trying to figure out the variety part!
  • Menu sounds amazing.    You really can't go wrong with red meat, poultry, fish and vegetarian options.  The more people you have the more chance to have a picker eater.  So don't look at it as chicken ::sigh::.  But that you want to accommodate the pick eater and chicken often fills that mold.   

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I never order wedding chicken. I love the duck idea. We are doing a beef, duck, veggie option for the rehearsal dinner because the restaurant has the most amazing duck dish. If we had chicken we would have had to pay the same per head price since they charge for the more expensive entree anyway. Do what you think will taste great. People always have the veggie option if they really want it. Also, I eat pretty much everything, so I'm a little biased.
  • lyndausvi said:
    Menu sounds amazing.    You really can't go wrong with red meat, poultry, fish and vegetarian options.  The more people you have the more chance to have a picker eater.  So don't look at it as chicken ::sigh::.  But that you want to accommodate the pick eater and chicken often fills that mold.   
    Haha true! I do have a friend who is an exceptionally picky eater...she basically only eats chicken fingers and french fries! But we won't be providing that as a menu option. Surprisingly, she usually orders beef at weddings. I know that my family and my fiance's family aren't picky, but I hear you. It's difficult to coordinate meals for so many people.

kgd7357 said:
    I never order wedding chicken. I love the duck idea. We are doing a beef, duck, veggie option for the rehearsal dinner because the restaurant has the most amazing duck dish. If we had chicken we would have had to pay the same per head price since they charge for the more expensive entree anyway. Do what you think will taste great. People always have the veggie option if they really want it. Also, I eat pretty much everything, so I'm a little biased.
    I'm totally the same way. I grew up eating things like tilapia and escargot for dinner when I was really young so I've never been all that picky. Also, your rehearsal dinner sounds amazing! Just like in your situation, we have to pay the same price per head whether we serve chicken or duck. But a good duck dish beats a good chicken dish any day in my book! 
  • I almost always order the chicken at a wedding.  Not a huge red meat eater, and I only like a few types of fish (that aren't usually served at weddings).
  • JoanE2012 said:
    I almost always order the chicken at a wedding.  Not a huge red meat eater, and I only like a few types of fish (that aren't usually served at weddings).
    Good to know! We're also trying to do a more different fish, too (instead of the more traditional salmon.) We are thinking the sea bass that comes with an apple-miso sauce. 
  • JoanE2012 said:
    I almost always order the chicken at a wedding.  Not a huge red meat eater, and I only like a few types of fish (that aren't usually served at weddings).
    Good to know! We're also trying to do a more different fish, too (instead of the more traditional salmon.) We are thinking the sea bass that comes with an apple-miso sauce. 
    We do have similar tastes!  Our sea bass had a hot mustard and miso glaze. 
  • I think chicken is popular because it's affordable
  • JoanE2012 said:
    I think it's fine to leave off chicken when you have so many options, especially when you're doing a milder fish like sea bass (versus salmon).
  • @BlueBirdMB: I would have totally loved to be a guest at your wedding, Sounds delicious! 

@Erikan73: I'm beginning to get that impression!

@jessicabessica: My parents were saying the same thing! Thanks for the feedback. I'm leaning towards doing some exciting options for dinner on top of our huge cocktail hour.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards