Attire & Accessories Forum

Parents Divorced-Mom Offered Wedding Ring

Does anyone with divorced parents have a mom who offered you her wedding ring? Did you choose to wear it as a RHR or maybe around your neck as a symbol of a connection to your mother? I have worries about negative energy or bad luck, but at the same time I would feel honored to have that jewelry as a gift from my mom when I get married and want her to know it. I'm very conflicted! 

Re: Parents Divorced-Mom Offered Wedding Ring

• I did. It was a family heirloom, though. She wore it when she was married to my dad, and then took it off after they divorced and put it in a safe deposit box. She let me know that it was mine if I wanted to wear it. I didn't really say yes because of a connection to my mom. It's a gorgeous vintage art deco ring that I love. I don't believe the object has any negative energy. The negavtive energy is between my parents!
  • What about taking the stones and having it reset? 
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • I have my Mom's wedding set from her first marriage. I don't think it carries any negative energy, but I also wouldn't wear it on my wedding day.

Anniversary
  • is it just a gold band or a huge rock? Old wives tale say if you bury it for three moons(three months) it clears whatever energy it carries
  • Thank you, everyone! A cleansing ritual and/or having the stones reset are great ideas, and I looked more into both of them! The ring is a gold band with tiny diamonds. I read that it would be ok to wrap it in a thin cloth before putting it in the ground, and that rose water, sun light, salt water (damaging?), and smudging with sage are other methods to cleanse negative energy. Very interesting!
  • I would not wear it on my wedding day, either. I meant to write, "after I get married." :)
  • I don't believe in negative energy or bad luck, but for my wedding ring and engagement ring, I'd really rather have my own, you know? 
  • My mom offered me her diamond 10th anniversary ring from my dad-- they are divorced.  I was worried about negative energy with the anniversary ring, because I remember them fighting around that anniversary.  I said no to both-- and I didn't want the diamonds reset for the same reason.

But I use their wedding silverware and I'm not worried about it at all.  I think it's because the silverware is from a happy time and isn't associated with negative memories for me.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• I'm saving my wedding ring from my first marriage for my daughter.  She can do whatever she likes with it.  I was happy and in love with her father when I married him; the wedding photos make me sad, but I don't look at them and think of bad juju.  We were in love when he gave me the ring. That's what matters. Frankly, it was a big investment.  I'd rather see it reset and worn rather than put on a necklace, but it will be a gift and that's up to her.

• How nice to hear a mom's perspective. Thank you!
  • My mom offered her engagement ring from my dad. I declined as I have only bad memories of their marriage and the following divorce.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • You can create your own energy. Only accept the ring if you know you could wear it without feeling bad.
  • Real diamonds set in gold or platinum do not have bad luck or vibes.  Only fake stones can have bad luck!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • My ring was passed down to me as well. I don't believe in the bad juju that others say could be associated with it. It has to do with mine and my fiances relationship. Not my grandmothers and grandfathers.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards