Wedding Etiquette Forum

Belated Reception\Anniversary Party

cgonz38cgonz38 member
First Comment
edited January 2014 in Wedding Etiquette Forum
My Husband and I were married almost a year ago, we got married in my grandparents home with only my close family. We had planned our wedding in a week because my father was very ill and his health was depleting more rapidly than we thought. We had been engaged for two years prior to this, we were just working on saving for a big wedding. Now we would like to have a wedding reception or anniversary party on our 1 year anniversary this year. We have a venue but I am kind of lost from here. I am unsure if we should call it a wedding reception or an anniversary party, also my family members and a few of his have told me to call it a reception so I can wear my wedding dress again, though I feel as if I wore it, I may seem a bit weird. Any advise on this? Also a big concern of mine, everyone keeps saying we should have a reception so that we can get gifts, Should we register? I feel as though if we register and put it on the invitations it may seem as though we are being greedy.

Best Answers

Answers

• Thanks ladies for your advice, it was not my mother telling me to do all these things, more so the MIL and a few of my aunts. My gut instinct agreed with you all, I just wanted to run it by some unbiased views for second opinions. 
  • Yep, your family is asking you to commit some big etiquette no-no's.  Don't call it a reception or wear your dress, or do any other wedding activities such as cake-cutting or first dance.  Call it an anniversary party, which it is.  Second: do not register.  But even if this was indeed a reception and you did register, it would never be okay to put the registry info on the invitation.  It is rude and seems really gift-grabby.

But it sounds like a great idea to have a big anniversary party and enjoy your friends and family.  The time for the wedding stuff has passed, but you can still celebrate your first year of marriage.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Jen4948 said:
    This is an anniversary party, not a wedding reception, so don't wear your dress again or do "bridal" things like have attendants, register for gifts, or have first dances.
    Yes definitely call it an anniversary party. Some people may get you gifts, but certainly don't register. I personally think there is no law that says you can't wear your wedding dress. I probably wouldn't, but it's a dress you own-, so whatever. Also, I don't know about other people, but cakes are usually at big events in my family. And if it's an anniversary party, there is no reason you can't have a private dance, but it's obviously not a "first dance'.  Definitely no attendants, and no redo ceremony.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards