New Jersey

Help:)

Hello!

My fiance and I got engaged on christmas and are finding that since 2873827 other couples did as well, dates are filling up fast for May/June 2015!  We live in manhattan but are looking more towards surrounding areas of NJ.  My family lives on SI and his has to travel regardless.  We are having a difficult time since we have completely different taste. Of the venues we visited yesterday, I fell in love with The Venetian (the ballroom) and he preferred Westmount Country Club (the continental room would be the room we would get, I didn't mind the larger room but it had a higher minimum that we're not sure we could fill).  

He finds The Venetian to be "over the top" so to speak.  I think everything I loved about it was what he did not like (the large crystal chandeliers, the spiral staircases, etc).  

Does anyone know of maybe a place in between these two venues? I feel like I have looked at EVERY venue that exists on the internet but I haven't seen many of them in person so I was wondering if anyone who had been to these places had any advice.

Any advice is appreciated as I was brought to tears this morning over the stress of it all already. 

We are thinking approx 200 people (could be less or more, havent finalized that) and would like to keep it at like $200pp

Thank you so much!!

Re: Help:)

• We looked at The Grove, in Cedar Grove, NJ. I've heard mixed things, but the venue itself is beautiful. It's relatively new, so it doesn't quite have the reputation that the Westmount and Venetian have. The Rockleigh Country Club in Rockleigh, NJ is another amazing place. Two of my friends got married there and both weddings were amazing. 
  • Check out Seasons! They are owned by the same owners of the Venetian.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • thank you!  I have added them to my list :) I wish we could check these out more easily in person but being as we are in nyc and do not have a car it is very hard. so we have to do most our looking via internet.  :(
  • Honestly, I don't think there is any substitute for visiting the venues in person! The internet makes it really difficult to get an accurate feel for the place. Can you guys rent a car for a day and see a bunch of places on the same day?

Your story made me smile a little because I fell in love with Il Tulipano the way it sounds like you fell in love with the Venetian. And it really wasn't FI's style although he would have been willing to compromise. It was out of our budget anyway but it's well within yours so it might be worth a look for you. And it is right near The Grove in case you decide to see that one and want to see them at the same time.
  • Hi and congratulations! We landed at the Palace at Somerset Park. It's got the grand feeling and food of the Venetian, and modern decor of Westmount. H and I are Italian and food was extremely important, and we wanted a venue that was grand but not over the top (we are more "Crate and Barrel" type people). It's centrally located and hotels are nearby, plus the bridal suite and outside space is amazing. If you want I'm happy to PM you my video trailer so you can get a better idea. I agree with @majesty318 places look different in person. Pictures of the Palace online just don't do it justice. Good luck... This is the start of an amazing time!
  • Thanks @giaspo and @majesty318!  We actually are renting a car this Sunday to visit some of these on the same day, unfortunately it is also with both sets of parents on their second day of meeting.  It just feels like a lot for one day, especially with 6 people.  We also feel very rushed due to the fact that our preferred dates are already booked in most places. It's incredibly overwhelming. 
  • Hello!

My fiance and I got engaged on christmas and are finding that since 2873827 other couples did as well, dates are filling up fast for May/June 2015!  We live in manhattan but are looking more towards surrounding areas of NJ.  My family lives on SI and his has to travel regardless.  We are having a difficult time since we have completely different taste. Of the venues we visited yesterday, I fell in love with The Venetian (the ballroom) and he preferred Westmount Country Club (the continental room would be the room we would get, I didn't mind the larger room but it had a higher minimum that we're not sure we could fill).  

He finds The Venetian to be "over the top" so to speak.  I think everything I loved about it was what he did not like (the large crystal chandeliers, the spiral staircases, etc).  

Does anyone know of maybe a place in between these two venues? I feel like I have looked at EVERY venue that exists on the internet but I haven't seen many of them in person so I was wondering if anyone who had been to these places had any advice.

Any advice is appreciated as I was brought to tears this morning over the stress of it all already. 

We are thinking approx 200 people (could be less or more, havent finalized that) and would like to keep it at like $200pp

Thank you so much!!
    Do you HAVE to get married May or June 2015?  If you're open to other dates, you will probably feel less stressed.  :)
  • i am going to a weding at snug hardbor next year in SI.  I dont know anything about its but its close!
  • thanks all!! we reserved the date today at Rockleigh Country Club.  fell in love as soon as we walked in :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards