South Dakota

How do SD brides feel about cash bars?

I'm from Aberdeen and have never been to a wedding with an open bar.
Now I live in Minneapolis and I'm told cash bars or partially open bars are always tacky and in poor taste.
How do you ladies feel about it? Is it generally accepted in SD?

Re: How do SD brides feel about cash bars?

• lemkenlemken member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am from Minneapolis, but getting married in Spearfish... hehe, we kind of traded places, didn't we? Anyways, it totally depends on your budget, but my fiance refused to let anyone pay for drinks. Now, we are getting married in a place that lets us bring in our own booze, so it's not going to cost us much. If you have to pay catering prices, and have a long night time reception, you may not be able to afford something like that. If you still feeling having a part cash bar is not acceptable, consider having a day time reception. It would be shorter, drink options could be limited, and it would make everyone happy. If you still want a night time reception - consider have a open social hour and a signature drink. If anyone wants to drink more after that, they can pay. In my opinion, it's not your job to make sure that people get drunk. That's not the point of a wedding.
  • edited December 2011
    Asking people to pay for drinks is like charging them to have a drink at your home.  Remember you are the hosts.  Just beer and wine/champagne works unless you decide to not serve alcohol at all.  Good luck either way!
  • edited December 2011

I understand the argument about how cash bars could be considered rude, but in this area I have never seen an open bar for a whole reception. Sometimes they have a certain amount of time the bar is open or they keep it open to a certain dollar amount. I think as long as you are providing other free options, such as lemonade, tea, water, having a cash bar is ok. If you are invited to someone's house they will serve you what they have, if you are not happy with their free choices than you can buy your own. It's not like you are forcing them to pay for drinks if you have other free options.

• edited December 2011
    I think having a cash bar is a good idea. Open bars seem to be an invitation for guests to drink as much as they possibly can. I have seen this problem at several weddings, and is part of the reason we are having a cash bar. (Cost is the other reason.) I am all for my guests drinking and having a good time, but providing the alcohol seems to cause people to focus more on drinking than the wedding itself!
  • sjochsnersjochsner member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are having our wedding in Aberdeen.  We are having a cash bar, but providing non alcoholic options all night for the guests that are the "designated drivers" and for those who don't drink alcohol.  We are also having a keg during cocktail hour so the bill at the end of the night is no surprise and so we can budget the cost.
  • edited December 2011
    In my family the bars go either cash or the bride and groom buy x amount and then when its gone its gone.  For weddings that have cash bar the party last longer and is more fun.  It also depends on the type of guests you have.  Like my father's side are big drinkers so to have a cash bar is like breathing air for them when it comes to weddings.  It is really all up to you and enjoy your wedding next week!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • schyr2007schyr2007 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are doing open bar for around an hour, and having a keg. After the keg it out, then everyone will pay for their own beer. After an hour, all drinks (except keg beer) will be cash. This way, our budget will not go out of control.
  • edited December 2011
    but we do pay to feed them during the dinner and any hors d'oevres after the ceremony and during the dance...so its OK for them to buy their own beverages after dinner. BUT to show that you are a truly great host have the reception in or within short walking distance of a hotel. Just my opinion though :P
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards