Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Summer reception menu

Here's my dilemma: my wedding is in July, the owners of our venue are cooking for us, and I have no ideas for a menu.  They said they usually do a pig roast but that's not really my style.  The man likes it so we're trying to come up with sides.  However, every time I go to think about the menu, all I see is someone crashing into me in my ivory lace dress with a big greasy plate of food.  And then I can't focus.  We want a lot of sides and we were told we can do whatever they want, they don't have a set menu of options.  I know there shall be a mashed potato martini bar but that is it.  There need to be vegan and gluten free options as well.  Any thoughts??  I'd like to have this all sorted out by the end of the month.  Thanks!!

Re: Summer reception menu

• Options
    Are you sure any vegans will come when there's a big fat whole pig carcass on the rotisserie? :P

• Options
    JLynG09 said:
    Here's my dilemma: my wedding is in July, the owners of our venue are cooking for us, and I have no ideas for a menu.  They said they usually do a pig roast but that's not really my style.  The man likes it so we're trying to come up with sides.  However, every time I go to think about the menu, all I see is someone crashing into me in my ivory lace dress with a big greasy plate of food.  And then I can't focus.  We want a lot of sides and we were told we can do whatever they want, they don't have a set menu of options.  I know there shall be a mashed potato martini bar but that is it.  There need to be vegan and gluten free options as well.  Any thoughts??  I'd like to have this all sorted out by the end of the month.  Thanks!!
    You say "owners of the venue".  Is this a venue that routinely hosts event?  Do they have menus?  Will you be able to sample food?  What else have they done besides pig roasts?  

Then further.....Are you having your reception indoors or outdoors?  What kind of "feel" do you want to go for?  Are you looking for more of a plated meal?  

This will help me and others better answer your question.

• Options
    We had a pig roast and our sides were: 

baked beans
    potato salad
    cole slaw
    roasted marinated veggies
    dinner rolls
    three-bean salad

All were gluten-free; everything but the baked beans was vegetarian. We had no vegans. No one crashed into me with a plate of food.
  • Options
    The venue has done weddings before but they're primarily a summer camp.  The reception will be both indoor (where the food is) and outdoor (hanging out).  They don't have a menu which is why we can do whatever we want, which leaves too many options.  I won't be able to sample food because I won't be back in the country until a few days prior.  I'm going for a relaxed, laid back approach and am perfectly fine with a buffet.  Its a summer in Montana, neither of which are formal or stuffy.  Thanks for y'alls input so far!  I'm really liking the idea of a regular tossed salad, the baked beans, more veggies, mashed potatoes.  I'd like about 6-8 total.
  • Options
    Personally, I would trust my guests to watch where they're going with a plate of food and not run into anyone. I would be more worried about me eating in my dress, since I tend to wear everything I eat. :P

In summer I would take advantage of whatever great local produce is available. Grilled veggies, corn on the cob, coleslaw, vegetable salads, caprese salad, pasta salad, watermelon, berries. Not all people eat pork, too, so can you add some grilled chicken, maybe a fish or a shrimp cocktail?

Are you allowed alcohol? If not you could do an iced tea and lemonade bar with fresh fruit and flavored syrups to add in.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards