South Dakota

Any other Sylvan Lake brides out there??

Hey, all! 

We're getting married at Sylvan Lake in June, and I would looove to touch base with another Sylvan bride ... We're so excited about the location -- it's the most beautiful place in the world -- but have so many questions about logistics, and I'd love to talk to someone else going through the same thing...  

Are you planning to (or did you) use a sound system?  What are / were your rain plans?  Are you bringing a band or plugging a computer/iPod into the auditorium? 

Happy wedding planning, everyone!
-Juliet

Re: Any other Sylvan Lake brides out there??

• edited December 2011
    I'm not having a Sylvan Lake wedding, but my friend Angela Pierson (Angela Pierson Photography) has photographed several weddings there recently. One wedding DID have rain, but the photos were actually pretty awesome from that!! If you need a photographer, check out her website...I'm sure she'd be willing to discuss rain plans too. Good luck!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks!!
  • edited December 2011
    Hi Juliet,
    I'm planning a Sylvan Lake wedding in July, and I'm also extremely excited about the location. I'm currently in the same boat as you though, trying to figure out sound logistics. I was told that in case of rain, the ceremony can take place in the Sylvan Lake Auditorium, the staff will help do a quick rearranging of chairs, etc.

Kristen
  • edited December 2011
    oh, I guess we would like to do the iPod, self DJ method, but need to figure out how to get speakers.
  • cjclaussencjclaussen member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am a photographer and I have a lot of pictures on my website of a wedding I photographed there. Feel free to check it out!
  • edited December 2011
    Hi there,

We are getting maried at Sylvan this summer (2011), and we have a lot of questions. I'd like to connect with some brides who had their wedding there before.

We also want to know the best way to provide music in the auditorium.

And, I'd be interested in any advice/experiences any brides had with the staff at Custer that handles the weddings.

Thanks!
  • edited December 2011
    Okay, I found out that there's a sound system in the auditorium (like, speakers in the walls) so if you have the right cord, you can plug your laptop in to play music.  This is what we're going to try, and we ordered a cord for it that a tech-savvy friend said would be the right one, based on the picture they sent us of the outlet.  

No idea if this cord will actually be right.  But we have a friend in the area who is going to try it out for us in a couple weeks.  If it works, we'll leave it with Sylvan so future brides don't have to go through this trouble. 

As for the rain plan, yeah, I heard we can move inside the reception hall too.  I'm hoping it won't rain, though, because I want to be out by the lake!! 

• edited December 2011
    Hi.  I'm planning on getting married there July next year but I'll be honest, I'm not too fond of the pricing for rooms/cabins.  A bit steep for what the price is.  Anybody have any luck negotiating on the catering/space contract..?  If so, how so..?
  • Hello! I am also considering getting married at Sylvan Lake Lodge (summer 2013). I was wondering if anyone can attest to the quality of the catering provided by the park. Also, does anyone know if they are willing to modify buffet packages at a reasonable price? We would like to add a more kid friendly option and a vegetarian option. Thanks!
  • The food at Sylvan is excellent for weddings. They have a couple of wedding gala's a year that you can attend to get samples of the food. Also, I just finished my catering discussion with the catering and sales manager. They are so easy to work with and will do whatever you would like. It's simply a matter of cost. For example, I have vegetarians coming, a couple of kids, and two people who have gluten free diets. They offered to make up individuals plates for special diets and you can either get kids meals or reduced price meals for children. They simply give you the food packages in the brochure as a guide.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards