Snarky Brides
Options

Maybe it is just me...

I'm so sick of pink (hot pink, blush, powder pink, all of it!) as a wedding color. When weddings look super girly, I can't help but think that the groom had almost no say in the whole thing. I get that certain men like pink, but they seem to be the exception rather than the rule. I don't understand forcing your groom to wear a color that he more than likely dislikes. I'm sure the groomsmen are not terribly thrilled about wearing blush and bashful vest, ties, and boutonnieres either. After seeing hundreds of posts about blush being a wedding color, I had to vent my (probably) unpopular opinion.

Re: Maybe it is just me...

• Options
    I can see what you're getting at, but my FI is one of those guys who actually likes pink.  He really didn't care at all about the wedding colors though.  I ended up adding in coral by accident since I found some shoes I really loved and coral worked pretty well since I knew I wanted navy BM dresses.  I don't have anything against the color pink, but I'm not super girly so its a little funny how it all came together.  FI still won't be wearing much coral--i think his bout has a pinkish spray in it and that's it and the GM will probably just a have blue ties.
  • Options
    Eh, coral isn't too bad. It looks more orange than pink to me depending on the shade. I also wouldn't side eye very subtle touches of pink. I particularly dislike very obvious pinks EVERYWHERE. If your groom genuinely likes pink, I guess it makes sense. Otherwise, use it sparingly. 
  • Options
    It's not just you. Blush is nice (a spring theme) and coral is fine (very summery) but hot pink? Not for me.
    If pink is accent against something like navy, cool. But I agree that pinkpinkpink!! Looks like the groom had no say in the entire process.

• Options
    I'm sick of pink, too, but it has more to do with the fact that I just really don't like pink.
  • Options
    True story: I don't especially like the colour pink; never have, never will.

My BMs all had bright pink flowers in their bouquets.

I had wanted a coppery-brown dress for the BM dresses (October wedding). The BMs all liked the dress better in purple. We went with purple. That was fine. Their bouquets were pink, orange, and yellow Gerbera daisies, to pop against the dark plum of the dresses.

I didn't see the bouquets until the day-of, and I realised how little I cared about the colours anyway. My mother had mostly chosen them (which was also fine; I didn't care and she did, so she picked the flowers), and they looks gorgeous against the dresses.

But DH and I laughed over it later.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    My shade of coral reads pretty pink to me, but that's also why I'm try to not go overboard.  I do agree that the over the top "blush and bashful" are weddings a bit much (and making the groom wear something he's not comfortable with is not cool).  Thankfully I don't think I've ever actually encountered one outside of the movies.
  • Options
    I think lots of brides forget that it isn't "my" day--it's "our" day, together with your fiance. Remember to include things both of you like!

And this goes for more than just pink. If there are flowers and ribbons and tulle and fooferah everywhere, where will people see your love and your relationship in the day?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Hot pink just makes me think of the 90s. Not a fan. 

ETA: I loved the 90s, but the neon colors were just too much. I cringe when I think of the clothes I wore. 
  • Options
    Hot pink just makes me think of the 90s. Not a fan. 

ETA: I loved the 90s, but the neon colors were just too much. I cringe when I think of the clothes I wore. 
    Yes this, or it makes me think of Prom.  I don't even think I really like pink and navy as a color combo.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    Swazzle said:
    I'm not a fan of all pink weddings and I don't really like hot pink for weddings, either. The wedding I was supposed to be in last year, the colors were hot pink and royal blue. Bleh. 

All I could think while reading this thread was Steel Magnolias:

Can you elaborate on that one?  Or is it a boring story, lol?

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    I am all about pink. I love it. I don't dress in it though, I pretty much only get pink things for technology cases. And I NEVER dreamed of a pink wedding. I agree with all you other ladies, don't subject your man to a day of pink, it's his day too! Touches of pink here and there are fine. And just for the record, my colors are yellow, gray, and navy.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @PrettyGirlLost - I was supposed to be the MOH in my childhood friend's wedding. I had also already asked her to be BM in mine. She informed me that they were only registering for their HM and told me that I would need to have her shower (which I had not offered to host yet) in June because the deposit for the HM was due in July. I tried to explain that I would be happy to have a shower for her except if they were not registering for physical gifts, there wasn't really a point to having one. I also tried to steer her away from the HM registry by telling her about the hidden fees and what if they don't get the money to cover the deposit. As a side note, I was getting married and going to be on my HM for most of May and she wasn't getting married until September so I definitely hadn't planned on throwing her a shower in June. 

Well, the day before we were supposed to go BM dress shopping for her wedding, she tells me she's sick and in the hospital and we need to reschedule. The next day she sends me a novel of a text telling me that she wants supportive people next to her on her wedding day and doesn't want to regret the people in her wedding photos after the fact and good luck in life. 

It was a blessing in disguise. Once she got engaged and was planning her wedding, her true colors (most of which I had been ignoring and making excuses for for years) came through and she's not someone I want in my life after all is said and done anyway. 

• Options
    @elBecko - It's my favorite movie ever so you're in good company :)

• Options
    Swazzle said:
    @PrettyGirlLost - I was supposed to be the MOH in my childhood friend's wedding. I had also already asked her to be BM in mine. She informed me that they were only registering for their HM and told me that I would need to have her shower (which I had not offered to host yet) in June because the deposit for the HM was due in July. I tried to explain that I would be happy to have a shower for her except if they were not registering for physical gifts, there wasn't really a point to having one. I also tried to steer her away from the HM registry by telling her about the hidden fees and what if they don't get the money to cover the deposit. As a side note, I was getting married and going to be on my HM for most of May and she wasn't getting married until September so I definitely hadn't planned on throwing her a shower in June. 

Well, the day before we were supposed to go BM dress shopping for her wedding, she tells me she's sick and in the hospital and we need to reschedule. The next day she sends me a novel of a text telling me that she wants supportive people next to her on her wedding day and doesn't want to regret the people in her wedding photos after the fact and good luck in life. 

It was a blessing in disguise. Once she got engaged and was planning her wedding, her true colors (most of which I had been ignoring and making excuses for for years) came through and she's not someone I want in my life after all is said and done anyway. 
    Holy hell.  What a peach.

• Options
    Hot pink makes me think of prom like whoa.  Especially hot pink and black...  I don't hate navy and pink or blue and pink (although the pink should be toned down), but it just reads super-preppy to me and that's not really my style.

Fun story: I wore a coral tulle ballgown at prom and Fi was my date.  I'm pretty sure he wore a pink vest and tie, and a pink boutonniere.  We got the pink and poofy out of our systems early.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    @PrettyGirlLost - Absolutely. Honestly, after I got her text, I felt like such a weight was lifted off my shoulders. 

• Options
    I always felt like brides with pink weddings also didn't keep the FI in mind. I peronally don't know a single guy who would LOVE to wear blush pink lol. The women here that do have a man like that...congrats! I feel like there are so many other colors out there to choose from.
  • Options
    I'm having Light Pink Roses at our wedding. But I agree with the statement of Brides planning their wedding sanz the groom's opinion. 

I like white decor. Like the Crisp, clean white type of decor with pops of color.

Our venue has dark wooden walls, so we thought the light pinks and ivory's would balance the colors out. We just didn't wanted looking harsh in the spring time. 

My fiance has been part of all decisions regarding our wedding - except my dress of course. But everything else, he has been actively giving me his opinion and not doing the "do whatever you want thing." But our wedding is not girly. I purposely didn't want an over the top girly wedding - and so far (even with blush pink roses), it looks very US. 

Re: the bolded-- so jealous! My FI has been doing the "whatever you want honey" "it's your day" but then when I suggest things he nitpicks them! He's very helpful about food and music but when it comes to decor I could just bop him on the head with a squeaky hammer!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Options
    @Inkdancer My H was the same way. I basically did all the planning because he didn't want to be involved, but when I told him what I thought about this or that, he had something to say about it. His suggestion to my ideas were always outrageous. For example: He wanted his groomsmen to wear the color red (my suggestion) but in all different style shirts- One would wear a red hoodie, one would wear a red polo, one a red t-shirt etc etc. Umm... no sorry honey! Another one of his suggestions was to have our ceremony at his father's tombstone in a cemetery. I get he wanted to include his father, but that just seems plain wrong. I made a pin with his father's picture on it to put under his boutonniere as a compromise. 
    Anniversary
  • Options

@Inkdancer My H was the same way. I basically did all the planning because he didn't want to be involved, but when I told him what I thought about this or that, he had something to say about it. His suggestion to my ideas were always outrageous. For example: He wanted his groomsmen to wear the color red (my suggestion) but in all different style shirts- One would wear a red hoodie, one would wear a red polo, one a red t-shirt etc etc. Umm... no sorry honey! Another one of his suggestions was to have our ceremony at his father's tombstone in a cemetery. I get he wanted to include his father, but that just seems plain wrong. I made a pin with his father's picture on it to put under his boutonniere as a compromise. 

I don't know why but when I pictured all the groomsmen in different shirts of the same colour, all I could think of was the RCG Production photo from the end of It's Always Sunny...

Anniversary
  • Options
    You know...an example would help people to know what I'm talking about...stupid phone.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Despite my name here I am not a fan of pink weddings either. My FI hates pink, so there will definitely not be any pink at our wedding. I always felt that unless the groom loves hot pink, he obviously had no say in such a wedding. JCBride2014 - it's really awesome that you and FI went to prom together! I also got the poofy out of my system at prom - big baby blue dress for me. Ugh I just remembered that I even wore a tiara lol.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Options

I love pink, one of my wedding colors is blush pink, the flowers for the bm's will be blush pink and so are the BM dresses.  We are going to look at tuxes this weekend and I told FI he is not wearing pink it would be wierd.  The accent colors are cream and light yellow.  I'd much rather seem them in a cream/ivory color versus pink. I'm not sure yellow might work also we'll see this weekend.

I also feel like if everything is pink, it's looks like the guy had no say FI's favorite color is yellow, so we incorporated both of our favorite colors.

Anniversary

• Options
    I love pink myself, but I don't want it to overwhelm, so I would try to avoid fuchsia and Pepto-Bismol pink and limit the use of pink to flowers and maybe a few other things.  I certainly would consult my groom on color schemes in general.
  • Options
    I like pink and had planned on using pink for the BM dresses but am not set on my colors.  I've decided light pink may not really look good on my girls, so may be changing my mind.  After reading all your posts i'm definitely reconsidering the pink!  My FI said he didn't want to wear pink, which i'm fine with. I probably wouldn't make the GM wear pink either although my mom says the GM have to match the BM.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @LinsInLove This is your wedding! If you don't want the groomsmen to match the bridesmaids, that's fine. With that being said, they should still coordinate. My ladies will be in navy dresses, and the men will be wearing gray suits. Unless your mom is paying, you get to decide!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I love pink and R likes it too. That said, I didn't want a girly looking wedding so we're not using it. I tend to think the same thing. 
  • Options
        Pink is my favorite color. That said, I keep it to my personal clothing and accessories. I honestly didn't consider it for a wedding color. 

Originally I picked purple and green (muted, more of a plum and olive green), except then my fiance said "like the joker?" . We are comic book fans. His favorite color is purple and it's my second favorite so I'm good with that. He then said he thought pink would look nice as the accent color. So he's the one who chose pink, not me. We are going with mostly purple with pink accents. I actually didn't care about wedding colors, he's the one who insisted we needed them.

I always figured that I wouldn't do any decorating in our house in pink, but he says he likes pink and he actually picked out a set of china that has a lot of pink. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards