Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Brother-Sister Dance Ideas?

sncollins3sncollins3 member
edited January 2014 in Wedding Reception Forum
Hello! I'm in a bit of a pickle. My Dad passed away in June of 2013, and although it is an easy choice of who will give me away (my brother), deciding a song to dance with him to is a bit of a challenge. My brother is also my 'Man of Honor', so if that is any indication of how close I am to him, I hope it helps. I pretty much like all types of music, so it is easy to pick songs that work well for us that I like. Unfortunately my brother wouldn't be caught dead dancing to some of the music I have picked.

When making suggestions, please keep in mind that we plan to play a slide show of pictures of our Dad with the two of us (mostly me since it is my wedding after all, but there are several we are both in with him) in the background while we dance. If there was a song that was maybe about losing someone or a Dad and it could relate well, that would be great. Examples are The Things My Father Said by Black Stone Cherry (some of the lyrics in the song are not.. things my Dad would have done, which is why we can't choose that song) or Best Seat In the House by Lo Cash Cowboys (unfortunately it's more of a song for a father-son relationship, plus its country and my brother does not like country).

Basically anything Rock.. preferably Classic Rock if I have a choice. Or if you're a Sons of Anarchy fan at all and know any of that music, I feel like I've picked through every song from the show, but it was a 'thing' my brother, Dad, and I always had - to watch the show together. Seriously considering 'Forever Young' the version by Audra Mae from Sons of Anarchy.

I am open to all suggestions, but my brother not so much. Haha, he is entirely against anything Top 40 and anything Country. Otherwise, we are pretty open. Even jazz would be okay as long as it isn't too upbeat & preferably redone by Michael Buble because his voice makes me melt. Anyway, don't feel bad if I shoot your ideas down, though, because we are both (but especially my brother) so picky!

ALSO, any ideas for a granddaughter/grandfather dance would be good? I really wanted to dance with him to the same song I had picked for myself & my Dad (Darius Rucker - It Won't Be Like This for Long), but I don't think my Papaw could handle it. I am very close to my Papaw, and he is more of a country fan than anything, so country is good. :)

Re: Brother-Sister Dance Ideas?

• Options
    I don't think any songs that are about "losing anyone" relate well enough to be played at a wedding reception.  Instead, I like your idea about playing a song that your father would have liked.

Also, why not ask your grandfather if he has any specific song preferences?
  • Options
    Hello! I'm in a bit of a pickle. My Dad passed away in June of 2013, and although it is an easy choice of who will give me away (my brother), deciding a song to dance with him to is a bit of a challenge. My brother is also my 'Man of Honor', so if that is any indication of how close I am to him, I hope it helps. I pretty much like all types of music, so it is easy to pick songs that work well for us that I like. Unfortunately my brother wouldn't be caught dead dancing to some of the music I have picked.

When making suggestions, please keep in mind that we plan to play a slide show of pictures of our Dad with the two of us (mostly me since it is my wedding after all, but there are several we are both in with him) in the background while we dance. If there was a song that was maybe about losing someone or a Dad and it could relate well, that would be great. Examples are The Things My Father Said by Black Stone Cherry (some of the lyrics in the song are not.. things my Dad would have done, which is why we can't choose that song) or Best Seat In the House by Lo Cash Cowboys (unfortunately it's more of a song for a father-son relationship, plus its country and my brother does not like country).

Basically anything Rock.. preferably Classic Rock if I have a choice. Or if you're a Sons of Anarchy fan at all and know any of that music, I feel like I've picked through every song from the show, but it was a 'thing' my brother, Dad, and I always had - to watch the show together. Seriously considering 'Forever Young' the version by Audra Mae from Sons of Anarchy.

I am open to all suggestions, but my brother not so much. Haha, he is entirely against anything Top 40 and anything Country. Otherwise, we are pretty open. Even jazz would be okay as long as it isn't too upbeat & preferably redone by Michael Buble because his voice makes me melt. Anyway, don't feel bad if I shoot your ideas down, though, because we are both (but especially my brother) so picky!

ALSO, any ideas for a granddaughter/grandfather dance would be good? I really wanted to dance with him to the same song I had picked for myself & my Dad (Darius Rucker - It Won't Be Like This for Long), but I don't think my Papaw could handle it. I am very close to my Papaw, and he is more of a country fan than anything, so country is good. :)
    I think this will make it feel too much like a memorial/ funeral and not a wedding. Can you dance to the Darius Rucker song with your brother and then have your Grandpa cut in? I wouldn't do 2 full songs, your guests will get bored.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    KatWAG said:

I think this will make it feel too much like a memorial/ funeral and not a wedding. Can you dance to the Darius Rucker song with your brother and then have your Grandpa cut in? I wouldn't do 2 full songs, your guests will get bored.
    So sorry for your loss.

Ditto KatWag.  I would skip the slide show and without a doubt, skip a song that has death in it.  Your guests are there for a joyous occasion.....you don't want to bring everyone down and have people sad (especially other family members that might be reduced to tears!).  I find it more appropriate when deceased members are honored in a more private way.....wearing a locket, tying a handkerchief around the bouquet, etc. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards