South Dakota

Wedding announcements?

Hello all-- I am kind of new to the site and usually just end up reading a lot of threads but never really responding to them but I do have an etiquette question.  My wedding is not for a while but both mine and my FIs family are starting to put together the inital guest list.  My problem is that both of my parents were in the military while I was growing up and we have friends and family all over the country and even a few overseas.  And there are a few people that we feel should be told about the wedding but we know that they will not come because of the distanance.  My dad mentioned that when he was growing up it was common to send these people wedding announcements instead of invitations.  But I really havent heard of anyone doing that recently.  Also I do not want people who get announcements (if we decide to do them) to feel as though they should send a gift you know?  So I guess what I am really asking is what do you guys think?  Wedding announcements to those that we know will not come instead of invitations?  Invitations to everyone?  Would you feel that it is rude to get an announcment instead of an invitation when it is known that you would not be able to come to the wedding?  Just looking for some input :)