Connecticut
Options

Care for wedding and engagement rings

What are your suggestions for caring for and cleaning your rings?
I feel weird about washing my hands or doing dishes with the ring on. I worry that the soap will make the ring dirty.
I bring my ring to the store to get it cleaned every few months.
We just bought our wedding rings so this is on my mind.

Do you own cleaning solution? How often do you clean your ring(s)? Do you feel soap is okay to come in contact with your rings?

Thanks!

Re: Care for wedding and engagement rings

• Options
    I used to worry too, but I'm a pediatrician so I wash my hands probably at least 60 times a day and sadly that isn't an exaggeration. My ring is white gold and I've had it about 18 months with no problems. I think as long as you have a decent quality ring it should be made to stand up to daily wear and tear. Sometimes I wish I had got platinum for the fact I wash my hands so much but I haven't had any issues yet. I do use jewelry cleaning solution and a baby toothbrush to clean it between visits to the jeweler but honestly I don't clean it much, maybe once every few months. I do know you shouldn't wear your ring in the pool because chlorine is bad for white gold. I think soap can dull the diamonds but won't ruin them.
  • Options
    i wash my hands shower and sleep with my ring i did have to take it to get re rodiumed a few months ago and that was not a problem. i have white gold with a center diamond and a halo around it with lots of other diamonds
  • Options
    I have a small ring dish or ceramic cup in every room of our apartment for when I need to take my ring off. Whenever im cooking something messy/kneading dough/doing dishes, the ring goes in the cup next to the sink in the kitchen. Cleaning the bathroom? Goes on the dish in the bathroom. Knitting? Ring goes in the dish next to the tv. Going to sleep? Goes on the dish next to my bedside lamp. I always keep it within reach whenever I take it off, and by having a designated holder in each room I know I'll never misplace it. I even take one of the cups/dishes with me when on vacation. I never shower, swim, or sleep with my ring on (we have a wooden headboard and i dont want to scratch the headboard or damage one of the prongs on my ring). As far as cleaning the ring itself, whenever I'm at the mall shopping or going to the movies, i pop into zales (where my ring is from) and ask them to clean it, so it ends up being cleaned about once a month. Although, I've found that pretty much any jeweler will clean an engagement ring free of charge, even if it isn't their product.
  • Options
    I was told to clean my ring about once a week! I work in a hospital and use hand-sanitizer a minimum of 100 times a day - apparently the alcohol base can loosen prongs. I bought a solution at a bridal expo which is great, I use my mom's ultrasonic cleaner when I am there, and then I pop into the jeweler whenever I am there!! I haven't really made the once a week recommended cleanings but it's usually every couple of weeks. I don't take it off often (only for lotion and hair products) - but I am a glove-wearing-cleaner so I figure that helps keep it safe! 
  • Options
    Thank you all for the tips!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards