Wedding Reception Forum

mason jar help

2»

Re: mason jar help

• I think this sounds fine.  I'm glad to see you have regular wine glasses (wine out of a mason jar would be weird to me), and if anyone is squeamish about having their glass cleaned that way (I might be), you have disposable cups available.  
  • Can I just ask where the mason jars will be ? Will they be placed at the tables with the place setting? Or will they be at a table somewhere for people
    To just grab? And will there be something to let guests know this is to be their drinking glass ?

I only ask this bc as a guest at a wedding I would assume this is the favor I can take home but I wouldn't expect to use it that night. I would assume if I went to the bar for a drink I would be provided my drink in a glass when I ordered it.
  • haha, Thanks @glitterwitch22. My point with the what is in style vs out of style was that this idea has been beaten to death and could hardly be considered original anymore. I also didnt understand how you can give a guest ONE jar each and expect them to use it for many different types of beverages.

And I agree with the needing to consider the comfort of your guests. To me, mason jars are heavy and hard to drink from.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • For those interested in the mason jar cups (or maybe this could work for other things)- I saw Michael's had chalkboard stickers- they won't fit with my wedding's motif but I thought they'd be really cute for a more country/rustic themed wedding!
  • afterimageafterimage member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2014
    acanon526 said: Thanks to those that provided helpful, nonjudgmental feedback! For those interested, this is what we have decided: the event staffing company who is providing the bartenders have agreed to set up a dish washing station behind the bar so that the bartenders can wash out drinks of people want to switch back and forth between different beverages.we are serving lemonade, water, and beer out of the mason jars. we are serving wine out of rented wine glasses. and we will have some disposable (biodegradable) glass wear to use as extras in case we run out. for a guest list of 150 I am going to make 200 mason jars with chalk paint so people can write their names on them and take them home. That way we will have 50 extra.I could care less of people think mason jars are trendy. We live in North Carolina, where it is not at all unheard of to drink out of mason jars. Mason jars are not that hard to drink out of for most abled bodied, intelligent people. Also, this option is eco friendly, which is something that is important to us. 

This is probably after-the-point, but I just want to point out that mason jars are not necessarily a very eco-friendly option.  You are choosing to buy new glassware to provide to guests instead of just renting (re-using!) glassware that has already seen use and will be used again.  I suppose it is better than using disposable cups, which isn't very eco-friendly at all, but renting would be a better option if this is really important to you.

Assuming that all your guests actually take home and re-use the mason jars you provide them, then yeah, it could be just as environmentally friendly as renting glassware.  However, I
     doubt that all of your guests are going to actually take the jars home with them, and of the ones that do, many will probably just get rid of them.  I personally wouldn't want to take home a mason jar as a favor.  Some people might, but to me it would just be one more thing that I don't need at home.

If you main reason for choosing mason jars is that it is eco-friendly, you might reconsider. 

*edit to fix glitchy box*
  • I just wanted to pipe in that I don't think mason jars is just a "pinterest fad", at least where I live, many of the trendiest upscale bars/restaurants serve their water, alcoholic and nonalcoholic drinks in mason jars.  They aren't difficult to drink out of at all... ?? 

I think your plan sounds pretty good.  As a guest,  I would much rather have my jar swished under a faucet if I were going to switch drinks-  a dip in a tub that everyone else's jars/leftover liquids have been rinsed in would gross me out.  Just a thought.  Enjoy your wedding!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • acanon526 said:
    It would simply be a dish washing tub behind the bar. So, someone would come up to get a refill and the bartender would immediately rinse their drink, fill it back up, and then hand it right back. 

Also we have found chalk pens that only wipe off with an ammonia based cleaners. So rinsing their names won't fade if the bartender rinses the glass. 
    Wait, you mean just a tub of water that everyone's cups get dipped into?  That's disgusting and extremely unhygienic. Please don't do that.  

• Viczaesar said:
    acanon526 said:
    It would simply be a dish washing tub behind the bar. So, someone would come up to get a refill and the bartender would immediately rinse their drink, fill it back up, and then hand it right back. 

Also we have found chalk pens that only wipe off with an ammonia based cleaners. So rinsing their names won't fade if the bartender rinses the glass. 
    Wait, you mean just a tub of water that everyone's cups get dipped into?  That's disgusting and extremely unhygienic. Please don't do that.  
    I'd imagine that there would have to be some sort of drainage and fresh water source to follow all health code regulations. So I doubt it's literally just a tub (at least, it wouldn't be from a reputable and certified food or beverage service company).
  • kimches said:
    acanon526 said:

Where did you find those chalk pens??? I have chalkboard-labeled canisters in my kitchen and FI ALWAYS smudges them when he picks them up. I find myself re-do them every stinking week.
    @kimcheshttp://www.amazon.com/Chalk-Ink-Classic-Markers-8-Pack/dp/B00251G48E

But if you Google "chalk ink pens" you get a ton of (less expensive) links.
  • Viczaesar said:
    acanon526 said:

I'd imagine that there would have to be some sort of drainage and fresh water source to follow all health code regulations. So I doubt it's literally just a tub (at least, it wouldn't be from a reputable and certified food or beverage service company).
    I hope not.  I really, really hope not.  The thought makes me feel ill.

• I am using mason jars at our wedding for our guests to drink out of. Because it is kind of weird to some people to drink out of, we are using colored paper straws in each cup with a tag they can write their name on. So our guests don't have to put their alcohol in their mason jars, we are having bottle or canned beer and separate plastic cups for the wine. Our venue says that we can only serve alcohol in plastic. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards