Wedding Etiquette Forum

Buffet lines

I was wondering what i should do because I want to do a buffet line but I wanted to set the tables with all the bowls plates and silverware for a classy look.....My mom said that it will cause an issues to do this and the guests will be confused

Re: Buffet lines

• If you are doing a buffet, I wouldn't preset the tables. I agree with your mom that it would be confusing. Plus what are you going to do for those guests who will inevitably go back for seconds? Same dirty dish? Or will you have fresh plates up there?
  • I think your mother is right that if the tables are set, it means that your guests will have to pick up plates and bowls and carry them to the buffet and back, and that could be problematic.  If you're going to do a buffet, it makes more sense to have the dishes at the beginning of the buffet and the utensils at the end if you do a line, or at separate stations at the end. 

In fact, my own advice would be not to have one long buffet line, but separate stations so that guests can get only what they want, in shorter lines.  Standing in long lines while carrying heavy trays can be difficult for guests-especially if they're wearing high heels.

Your guests' comfort and needs should take priority over "classy looks."
  • Plated or buffet I have never seen the tables at any wedding I have been to completely set.  The only time I could see the table completely set is if you were having a family style meal.

If you did plated then the servers would have to come out and remove all the dish ware before being able to serve you...they need to have an empty spot to put the food filled plates.

For buffet it would just confuse the guests and many may forget to take their dish ware with them to the buffet line.  Also, some people may want seconds org something different the second time around and a clean plate should be available for them rather then them having to carry a dirty plate.

• No one wants to shlep an empty plate across a room nor do they want to stand in line holding the plate either..       Have the silverware and glasses but leave the plates the buffet line.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • For a buffet, I think its fine to have your silverware and napkin displayed on the table already, but no dishware, unless you are having bread on the tables.  Then you can have a bread plate at each place setting too.
  • the specific dish at the individual buffet line like jen 4948 said How about putting the silverware at the table that way they dont have to remember to grab it It would make it easier and see my logic was they were already sitting at the tables the could grab and go but it would be easier the other way also
  • For a buffet, I think its fine to have your silverware and napkin displayed on the table already, but no dishware, unless you are having bread on the tables.  Then you can have a bread plate at each place setting too.
    The only food i will have on the table will be pie pops so that if the guests gets hungry while waiting through the entrance and for everything else to be finished they will get to have something to stave off hunger 
  • Can you ask your caterer about having the salad course pre-set?
  • PDKH said:
    Can you ask your caterer about having the salad course pre-set?
    I was thinking of this but i was going to do a seperate buffet for this. So everyone can put their favorite toppings and dressings

• I would at least have rolls and butter on the table. Not everyone will want to eat a sweet before dinner but rolls are nice to munch on while you are waiting.

• Someone mentioned chargers, which is what I was thinking. Super fancy look for not a ton of money if you know where to look. They have them in all kinds of finishes and colors, often in a plastic or resin that looks nice but is fairly cheap. Good luck!
  • I agree with the PP who suggested chargers set on the table. Also, all of the weddings I've attended that were buffets had the silverware and napkins already set at the table. At the beginning of the buffet there were stacks of plates. 

You didn't ask for my opinion on this, but I'm also a big fan of "double-sided" buffet stations where guests can go down either side of the buffet table. It goes WAY quicker. 

The only downside to the chargers is it's a know your crowd thing. My sister who doesn't attend many formal events took her charger with her up to the buffet line at a wedding once and was a little embarrassed when she was told that it was just a charger and not the actual plate.
  • We are doing a buffet and skipping chargers as I think they're a waste of money. Instead, we're planning something similar to this: 
  • Bbk1211Bbk1211 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited January 2014
    ElcaB said:
    We are doing a buffet and skipping chargers as I think they're a waste of money. Instead, we're planning something similar to this: 
    I love this right here thank you so much i never thought of it this way hmmm... and @ ic07 i agree i was going to do a double sided buffet because of the speed increase of the guests getting through the line and yea my family would not know what a charger plates is i had to look up what it was lol i could see my family taking it to the line with them though the guests gifts are going to be on the table on the way out cause i am going to have three types of gifts so they have a variety
  • Oooh I like the silverware on the table. Last buffet I went to I had to carry it around with my plate and drink and some of the older guests were having trouble with it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I defiantly don't wanna put the silverware on the buffet line it was a big pet peeve with me at all parties i have been to cause you have too much to juggle to begin with... i have even dropped food on the floor and being as embarrassed as hell got to clean it up... I want people to take their time and only have to focus on one thing at a time thats why i wanna break my buffet into 3 parts salad, pasta, drinks.... so it encourages people to go to a station get what they want go to their seat...... My plan is to open one at a time like open the drink buffet table when they are walking in..... that way they have something to sip on and as me and the bridal part is comming in we are going to set up and open the salad bar so they can go up get a salad if they wish and as we finish the entrances and everything i want to open the pasta bar.... so everyone is encouraged to have plenty of time to get food and not carry to much at once.. and once the buffets are open they stay open so its not like heres your only chance
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards