Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Transportation from church to reception

so, my parents are insisting that the limo ride after the ceremony be just me and my new husband, but I feel bad leaving my girls and the groomsmen to fend for themselves and find rides down to the reception. This also causes a problem because I was planning on stopping for pictures before the reception, so if everyone is in separate cars this will cause it to take an even longer time to get done (and time away from the reception!)

any thoughts on this? how are you handling transportation & bridal party if you have 2 venues?

thanks!

Re: Transportation from church to reception

• Options
    Why are your parents dictating who you ride with after the ceremony?

How are the WP members getting to the ceremony?
  • Options
    Unless your parents are paying for the limo, they don't get to dictate who rides in it.

However, if your BP comes in the limo, where will their cars be?  How will they get to their cars at the end of the night to go home?
  • Options
    my parents will be paying for the limo which is why they are dictating. The bridesmaids would ride with me to the ceremony in the limo, the groom and his guys would ride together to the church.
    My mom says the guys would take my fiance's car so that we would have that after the wedding to get to the hotel, which makes sense.

If the ladies come in the limo, their cars would be at my parents' house where we are getting ready. I wouldn't know how they would get back to their cars afterwards, i'd suspect a few would stay at the same hotel we would be in.
  • Options
    MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2014
    Linny421 said:
    my parents will be paying for the limo which is why they are dictating. The bridesmaids would ride with me to the ceremony in the limo, the groom and his guys would ride together to the church.
    My mom says the guys would take my fiance's car so that we would have that after the wedding to get to the hotel, which makes sense.

If the ladies come in the limo, their cars would be at my parents' house where we are getting ready. I wouldn't know how they would get back to their cars afterwards, i'd suspect a few would stay at the same hotel we would be in.
    Then it is only right that your parents find your BM's a ride back to your home in order for them to get their cars.
  • Options
    Is your mom aware that asking someone else to drive your car might have insurance liability issues?

She has no business telling your FI what to do with his car.  And how exactly would your bridesmaids get their cars or get to the reception after the ceremony?

Your parents are being very short-sighted about this.  I think you and your FI better pay for your own transportation rather than go along with this.
  • Options
    Honestly, your parents are creating problems that don't make sense.  

I would either have the WP members meet you at the ceremony in their own cars or decline your parents' offer to pay for the limo and do it how you want.  
  • Options
    When my daughter married, we felt obligated to make sure the wedding party had smooth transportation issues.  Many of the BM's were local, which did make things easier.  Some girls were dropped off at our home the morning of the wedding.  We drove them to their hair and make up appointments.  Other girls were dropped off at the hair salon.  We made it our business to get them back to our home after the appointments.  My son and husband were designated as the DD's for the bridesmaids.  I felt very strongly that they were our responsibility.

If your mom feels strongly that you and your FI have a private ride after the ceremony, they can rent two cars.  This is what my SIL did for he and my daughter.  They took a private ride and the rest of the wedding party followed in a limo.  They still stopped and took a few pictures on the way to the reception.  
  • Options
    Linny421 said:
    so, my parents are insisting that the limo ride after the ceremony be just me and my new husband, but I feel bad leaving my girls and the groomsmen to fend for themselves and find rides down to the reception. This also causes a problem because I was planning on stopping for pictures before the reception, so if everyone is in separate cars this will cause it to take an even longer time to get done (and time away from the reception!)

any thoughts on this? how are you handling transportation & bridal party if you have 2 venues?

thanks!
    FI and I want the opposite actually lol. So FMIL is arguing with us to take the BP when we don't want to, after the ceremony.

To answer your question about others handling their transportation issues:

-All the ladies are getting ready at one location.
    -All the guys are getting ready at a different location.
    -Ladies will be riding in the town car that is picking them up at the getting ready location and taking them to the ceremony.

-The guys will be driving each their own cars to the ceremony.
    -After the ceremony, my MoH and BM (FI's sister) will drive our car to the reception while FI and I are in the town car.
    - All bridal party members do have a ride to the reception and a way to get back home. we made sure of this. We asked them and they were all more comfortable driving their own cars since they have SOs (their SOs are not in the BP).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    It seems to me even if your parents are paying for the limo they would be understanding and happy to go along with what YOU want on YOUR wedding day. Especially since what you want makes more sense! I would tell your parents what you want and explain your reasoning and if they aren't willing to accept that, let them know that you will pay for the transportation yourself. This seems like such a little thing for them to be so picky about! 
  • Options

To make sure everyone showed up on time & because we did photos at a few stops on the way to reception we provided limo to the whole bridal party. And since our stops were in a downtown area, it was easier to just let the limo deal with traffic & parking then having everyone fine parking & then meet up.

We had the limo pick up the girls at the reception hall after getting our hair done & take us to the church where we got dressed. The limo then came back to the reception hall to pick up all the guys & take them to the church. This allowed us to keep the bridal party together the whole time and everyone had their car when they wanted to leave the reception. There was no musical cars involved.

Even though you and your girls are getting ready at your house, you still need to figure out a way that your BM will have transportation to the reception and to their cars which assuming would be at your parents house.

I understand that a larger limo will cost them more money but just sit down with them & ask, if the girls ride there in the limo? How are they suppose to get to the reception or back to their cars at your house? Approach it in a postive manner, just a hey, let's figure out the logistics of this now so we're not scrambling to figure things out the week of the wedding. I'm sure if you go into this with a positive attitude (so they don't cut any funds) something will work out ok.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards