Connecticut
Options

FI doesn't want a Photographer....advice??

Hey all,

I absolutely love photos, that's my number one priority for my wedding. I'd give up a full bar just to have them! My FI thinks that it's a complete waste of money and that we can spend the $2k on inviting more people to our wedding. His response to photographers is "I hate posed pictures, that doesn't help me remember my wedding. Our guests pictures will be just fine." Needless to say I flipped out and we had our first "wedding" fight.
We are on an extremely tight budget. He and I are paying for everything ourselves and it's going to be really tight.
Any and all advice is welcome!!

Re: FI doesn't want a Photographer....advice??

• Options
    You don't want to skip the photographer!!! That is the one place you want to splurge.
    I am the same as you--photos are the number one thing about the wedding for me as well.

You and your fiancé should make separate lists of what your top 3 must haves for the wedding. Then see if you can't accommodate each of your wants.

You can reorganize the budget once you've prioritized everything.

Also, google wedding budget and tips for saving money when planning a wedding. A) it will give you some ideas for how to save some money and B) most of the experts agree that professional photographers are the one thing you should splurge on.

Finally, explain to your fiancé that you can find a photographer who does a lot of candida and not just posed photos.
  • Options
    *candids
  • Options
    you can find photo under 2 grand check out ctweddingvideo.com scott dery is doing our photos and for under 1500 you need to figure out your budget for whats important and then find someone who will work with you.. as for the bar it would be cheeper to do like 2 kinds of wine some beer and maybe a signature drink
  • Options
    Maybe look into a photographer for a certain amount of hours. You may not need, want, or be able to afford someone for 6 hours, but they could come for a shorter amount of time. I think this is an item to compromise on...
  • Options
    Take a look at Artsinfotos' styles; we are having him (Christophe) do our wedding in September. He's currently charging a $1050 New England special, which is all day coverage. He does New England weddings from June-October only. He has liability insurance and is very responsive.

Good luck! We are having a similar issue but with having (or not) a videographer instead
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! I filled out a form last night on New England School of Photography and got a couple responses so far. Definitely in our price range! The FI even liked one of the girls work!! There is still hope!!

@LabryithRat - thanks for recommending Artsinfotos. I looked at his work and it's gorgeous, but he's booked the day of our wedding.
  • Options
    A Photographer is a must in my opinion.

We used Mike from Imageinthatstudios and he did an amazing job and is extremely reasonable. I'd check him out. I'm sure he'd be willing to work with your budget. 

Hope this helps! :-)
  • Options
    I agree with everyone that the photographer is important because these are your memories. Whoever you choose let them know you don't want to many posed shots. I am used Val McCormick and she is great. She asked us what pictures are a most and what we really don't care about. The advice I have is make sure you get along with the photographer since they are with you most of the day. 
  • Options
    Photos super important can't stress enough. And get info on if you get all the photos on disk that aren't copyrighted. I've seen FB wedding photos with watermarks...it's a shame. I'm using Hawk photography. Very nice work and all the photos taken on disk.
  • Options
    Hey ladies!!
    We have booked our photographer!!! I went on to New England School of Photography and filled out their event form. 3 photogs responded back and I had him choose one. We both really liked the same one so we went with her. She's done weddings before so it's not her first rodeo :)
    Thanks for all of your help!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards