Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

NWR: Wording for Dutch Treat Birthday Dinner Evite

I would like to invite a couple of DH's friends and their wives to meet us for dinner to celebrate his birthday.  I will host the first round of drinks and appetizers, which will be prearranged with the server.  How can I properly indicate (via evite) to guests that they are expected to pay for their own meals? 
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: NWR: Wording for Dutch Treat Birthday Dinner Evite

• Options
    Ditto Scribe.  I hate the word "dutch treat"-it's not any kind of treat if you're inviting me to something and then asking me to pay.  Just make it informal-H and I are going out on Friday night to celebrate his birthday, let us know you'd like to join us!
  • Options
    Ditto PPs. -- I'd just say, "DH and I are going out to celebrate his birthday on (date). First round of drinks and appetizers are on me, let me know if you'll be joining us!"
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I actually was in a somewhat similar situation--for my partner's surprise party, I absolutely could NOT afford to host everyone properly. We were going to be coming back from dinner (and they'd be waiting in the apartment), and there was only so much food I could prepare behind his back.

The way I worded the email invitation was that we'd be having dinner beforehand (no dinner served), no one was obligated to bring anything, and I listed what I'd be providing as a baseline (cheese and crackers, liquor, cake). I didn't ASK anyone to bring anything except beer, but that was more like ... I don't drink beer and wouldn't know what to get.

Everyone ended up bringing a TON of snacks and I seriously lived off them for about two weeks afterwards.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards