Registry and Gift Forum

Asking for Monetary Gifts - Does theknot.com have a way to do this?

I've already done a registry at Target for more practical, lower-priced items and a Macy's one for our fine china and nicer dinnerware and serveware.  But a lot of my fiance's family members have asked us if we can set up a way for people to give us cash before the wedding because this is common in their family.  I am reluctant to set up a whole other website, as we were planning to just put our knot link on the save the dates and invites.  I am worried that A) it's tacky to give people THREE links for gifts and B) older family members may not feel comfortable or understand going to all these different websites and purchasing things and/or giving money.  I am wondering if theknot.com has a way to set up for cash gifts so we can just direct them to theknot, and they can choose to buy from target, macys or donate cash.  Make sense?  Help! 

Re: Asking for Monetary Gifts - Does theknot.com have a way to do this?

• Do these family members not know your home address?  Tell them if they really want to give you money prior to the wedding then they can mail you a check.

• I've already done a registry at Target for more practical, lower-priced items and a Macy's one for our fine china and nicer dinnerware and serveware.  But a lot of my fiance's family members have asked us if we can set up a way for people to give us cash before the wedding because this is common in their family.  I am reluctant to set up a whole other website, as we were planning to just put our knot link on the save the dates and invites.  I am worried that A) it's tacky to give people THREE links for gifts and B) older family members may not feel comfortable or understand going to all these different websites and purchasing things and/or giving money.  I am wondering if theknot.com has a way to set up for cash gifts so we can just direct them to theknot, and they can choose to buy from target, macys or donate cash.  Make sense?  Help! 
    It is extremely rude to ask for money. People know money is a good gift to give for a newly wed. People will either shop off your registry, send you cash/check or buy whatever they feel like. Please do not sign up for any website like this. On top of being tacky, usually the place charges you a certain % so you don't even get all of your money someone gifted you.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Okay.. it's just that at least ten people have specifically asked if we've set up a website where they can give monetary gifts.  Thanks
  • The problem with any of these websites is that they will charge fees - typically 7%. 
    It is also not proper etiquette to ask for cash, which you would be doing by setting up a web site.
    It would be polite, when asked this question, to say something like this:

Thank you so much, that is a very thoughtful, generous and appreciated gift. We are not setting up a web site to collect these types of gifts because of the fees associated with them and don't think it is polite to register for money. Everyone knows money is always an appropriate and appreciated present, we don't need to tell our guests ;-)

You should not spend any of the money you receive prior to the wedding, just in case. It is customary to not use wedding gifts until after the wedding and the same is expected with monitory gifts.

GL! :)
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Are your guests not capable of putting cash/check into a card/envelope? Its not that difficult!
  • Okay.. it's just that at least ten people have specifically asked if we've set up a website where they can give monetary gifts.  Thanks
    I don't understand why they can't just send you a monetary gift?
  • let people know the "honey funds" and all the cash giving websites actually cost them more in fees than it would to just write a check.  They always sound like a good idea, but just don't know they really work (I was pissed when I bought my friends a "couple's massage" to discover they were sent a check for less than what I paid and may or may not have even got said couple's massage).

Make a smaller registry and people will get the hint.  Or have family/friends spread the word you are saving for such & such.  If they do not have a clear way to pay you online I am pretty sure they will know how to put cash in a card or write you a check.  But please do not advertise anywhere that you really just want money.

Anniversary
  • I don't understand why people can't just write a check or put cash in an envelope.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards