May 2014 Weddings

I want to cry!

Yesterday started out so great - finally got our pre-marital counseling lined up and found a florist who will work within my extra small budget! I was probably a little giddy about the florist, because honestly I was expecting her to say no way. I want 5 bouquets, 7 boutonnieres, and 2 corsages for $200. I was going to DIY them but she said she can do it so I was pumped! Then I got a message from the caterer. Apparently there was some confusion with our venue and she is no longer able to do our reception. I seriously am so stressed over this! Memorial Day weekend is crazy busy and so many caterers told me they were already booked and I've been working with this one for over 2 weeks and now she's cancelling on me! I am definitely feeling the strain today. I am physically exhausted from not sleeping well last night. Oddly though my FI doesn't seemed phased by this, despite having dreams before about us not getting it figured out. I on the other hand may have to just sit down and have a good long cry. 

Re: I want to cry!

• I'm sorry. That sucks so bad. I don't think guys freak out about that stuff as bad because they just figure that it will get it all worked out. I say have a good cry and maybe a glass of wine and then get on the phone and you will find someone else! 
  • I'm sorry! I definitely think sometimes a cry is necessary and healthy to de-stress. After that, take a few deeeeep breaths and then go to Google and start researching. It may take a little creativity, but it'll work out well!
    Anniversary
  • Yeah, cry it out to get it out of your system.  After that, have a glass of wine while searching for someone new.  Maybe there is a favorite restaurant of yours that caters?  Before FI and I found our venue we were looking at doing it at a park and having food brought in by this place called Just Kabobs and it was going to be like $600 for 75 people (oh I miss the days when I thought only 75 people were going to be invited).  And that was a mix of chicken and beef kabobs, salad, rice, pita bread, and I think potatoes as well.  Also what has picked up popularity apparently is having a food truck show up.  I don't know how casual your wedding is, but maybe that is an option, you can see how much it would be for them to show up and serve your guests.  You'll find someone, and it will all work out!
    Anniversary
  • Our main problem is that we have a small budget. The venue has no kitchen, which is also an issue for some caterers. Oh and it a formal reception. FI wanted BBQ but I nixed that right away. I contacted another caterer that we had talked to, hoping they still have the date open. There are some options with like the local grocery store that does catering but the food isn't the best. Sigh. Just real disappointing!
  • I truly feel for you. I'll make a suggestions my FI friends made to me have your family cook for you.
  • Maybe re-think your FI bbq suggestion. It is very budget friendly, it's yummy, and comforting. Just because you dont have fancy waiter's serving fancy food, does it mean that your reception is not as nice or enjoyable. I don't know if that's part of your thought of why you nixed it? We're doing a whole hog roast and all bbq fixings for the reason of how inexpensive it is. It's sooo budget friendly, and truthfully, most people enjoy that type of food. I hope everything works out for you guys! 
  • What about food from Costco or somewhere similar? About the same cost as a BBQ, but you can get some really fancy stuff there.

• @pumpkinsandturkeys I LOVE Costco! They do have some really awesome food there! I'm obsessed with their samples!

akopitzkeAnother option would be to see about food trucks, local restaurants...maybe talk to Italian restaurants (you wouldn't have to do giant pasta buffets, but they always have really good options!). I don't know the area you live in but we have some awesome food trucks down here and while it's not as formal as a plated dinner, it could be more funky/cool, and not as casual as a BBQ (although a whole hog roast can be AWESOME!)
    Anniversary
  • You also might want to try fishing around your local board- I'm not sure how nice or helpful they are (I haven't found a whole lot of helpful stuff on my locals) but there's always the chance that someone might have a cancellation and need a couple to take their date.  If not, maybe they have suggestions for caterers that might work within your budget.

I'm actually using a restaurant that I love- they happen to have kitchen trucks they can bring to the reception so they don't have to use the antiquated kitchen they have on site. 

Don't give up!  It will work out!  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards