Christian Weddings

Involving God in the Wedding

The most important thing going into my marriage is to have it built on Christ as the foundation. There's a lot we're doing privately to ensure that happens, but we want to make that commitment public and explicit, and to honor God in our wedding. Aside from the pastor's words and scripture readings that even many non-Christians incorporate, what are some ideas on how to focus on God during the ceremony and reception?

So far, some of my/our potential ideas include:
  • As part of decorations, lining the aisle with scripture that has been especially meaningful to us, and maybe explaining in the program why we chose each verse.
  • Instead of a traditional guest book, putting out a Bible and asking guests to highlight verses for us, either things that have been meaningful to them or something they think would be good for us
  • A couple of worship songs during the ceremony
  • Christian music in the background during dinner or whenever we have background music. Dance music will be secular, though
  • Making God prominent in our vows, if we decide to write our own, or maybe making a marriage mission statement and publicizing at least part of it.
  • First dance song relating to God's place in our relationship

Any other ideas? If it makes a difference, his side is almost entirely Christian (maybe 2 guests who aren't), and mine is almost entirely NOT Christian (maybe two who are active enough Christians that they go to church at least once a year. Most, maybe all, do label themselves Christian more than any other religion, though exchanging Christmas presents is the most they do that associates with being "Christian").

Re: Involving God in the Wedding

• I would do a couple of worship songs during the ceremony or make God prominent in your vows. 
  • I love the bible idea!
    Anniversary
  • I wouldn't be comfortable with scripture being used as decor, or with worship music in the background at the reception. I'm not sure the bible idea will work as you hope- it sou ds like many people there will have no idea what to do with it, and even the ones that do will probably stick to the same few classics.

What about you and FI writing a prayer together to be read during the service?
  • My vows have God pretty prominent. I took stuff we have talked about as a couple and in our counseling sessions and wove that into mine. I have no idea what his vows are but I am sure God is mentioned at some point.

We're having a very small ceremony that will basically be our pastor talking for about 5 min and then our vows.

I like the idea of worship songs or maybe a prayer. We're having a reception a month after our wedding and going to play a couple Christian songs relating to marriage and love.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Our ceremony is a worship service. It is very important to us that that comes first--we are following one of our denomination's orders of service, so there will be the invocation, a responsive psalm reading, congregation hymns, prayer, etc. The service is not about what we are doing, but what God has already done for us.
  • I think you need to be really careful with a lot of this or your non-christian guests may feel very uncomfortable, as if they walked into a conversion event.  It sounds like you are already making your faith front and center in the ceremony and you should otherwise let your relationship speak for itself.
  • We will be taking communion together (just the two of us) as our unity part of the ceremony- our version of the unity candle/sand/etc. But this might depend on how you feel your guests would view it- I know I've heard people say that they've experienced someone taking communion during the ceremony and were a little uncomfortable or unsure what to do during it. Our plan is to have a close friend (one of the groomsmen) sing a solo worship song during it so there's a little more going on.

Also, have you ever heard of a "prayer huddle?" I went to two religious weddings this past summer that included it. Basically, after the unity ceremony, a group of people that the couple must've chosen ahead of time (mostly family, wedding party, etc) gathered around the couple, laid hands on them, and prayed quietly while worship music was playing in the background. I'm not sure if I'll incorporate it into my own, but it's definitely something to think about!
  • We will be taking communion together (just the two of us) as our unity part of the ceremony- our version of the unity candle/sand/etc. But this might depend on how you feel your guests would view it- I know I've heard people say that they've experienced someone taking communion during the ceremony and were a little uncomfortable or unsure what to do during it. Our plan is to have a close friend (one of the groomsmen) sing a solo worship song during it so there's a little more going on.

Also, have you ever heard of a "prayer huddle?" I went to two religious weddings this past summer that included it. Basically, after the unity ceremony, a group of people that the couple must've chosen ahead of time (mostly family, wedding party, etc) gathered around the couple, laid hands on them, and prayed quietly while worship music was playing in the background. I'm not sure if I'll incorporate it into my own, but it's definitely something to think about!
    What great ideas! I love them both! 
  • cassghcassgh member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    I love all the suggestions everyone has given!  We are planning on having a "moment of worship" right before we head off down the aisle as husband and wife.  We are each choosing our favorite worship song (so two songs) that everyone will sing before the end of the ceremony, kind of our way of saying, "now that we've said our vows to each other, let's take a moment to worship the One who brought us together."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards