Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Torn on the Venue

So, FI and I would love to get married in a theatre. We both have backgrounds and active interest in acting and tech, and we just think it's a meaningful, appropriate venue. We're particularly interested in the ACT theatres in Seattle (if anyone knows what I'm talking about). The Allen Theatre is a gorgeous, totally breathtaking theatre in the round (seats on all sides, with the stage sunken like an ampitheatre). I really do love it. If we rent it, the entryway is a perfect, beautiful place for cocktail hour, and the whole building is architectually stunning, great for pics etc. I love the idea of the ceremony on the stage... there are so many things I like about it. And FI is in LOVE with it, IDK if I could sell him on something else, even if I wanted to.

Here are my issues: they have tables that go over every other row of seats, so those would have to be set up beforehand, and people would literally be sitting at tables for the ceremony. For some reason I don't like the feel of that. And once they sat down for dinner, they'd really be pretty stuck in their respective rows until people were done. I've always liked the round-table feel of more traditional receptions, and I'm concerned that rows would really suck the social vibe and life out of the party. I don't think this is as big a deal for FI as me, but it's really grinding my gears trying to imagine how that would be.

Here are my questions: is it worth it if the reception isn't exactly traditional, as long as guests are hosted properly? Will rows really ruin it? Should I compromise on this because FI loves it and figure it out later? I want him to be involved and happy with it, more than anything right now...

PS: there is a smaller caberet theatre that I really like in the same building, but it would hold a lot less people and isn't as "theatre-y" as the other... so FI says we might as well just get a cheap banquet hall instead of that one, though I disagree...

Re: Torn on the Venue

• Options
    Can you afford to rent both? Ceremony in the gorgeous part, reception in the smaller, cabaret ?

Anniversary
  • Options

We really can't unfortunately. The large theatre is prohibitively expensive, even though the caberet is quite doable (although if we did the caberet, we would rent the small, very pretty reception hall to go with it for cocktail hour, and that would add up to just slightly less than the large theatre).

Otherwise, that would be epic =)

• Options
    cmiles89 said:

So, FI and I would love to get married in a theatre. We both have backgrounds and active interest in acting and tech, and we just think it's a meaningful, appropriate venue. We're particularly interested in the ACT theatres in Seattle (if anyone knows what I'm talking about). The Allen Theatre is a gorgeous, totally breathtaking theatre in the round (seats on all sides, with the stage sunken like an ampitheatre). I really do love it. If we rent it, the entryway is a perfect, beautiful place for cocktail hour, and the whole building is architectually stunning, great for pics etc. I love the idea of the ceremony on the stage... there are so many things I like about it. And FI is in LOVE with it, IDK if I could sell him on something else, even if I wanted to.

Here are my issues: they have tables that go over every other row of seats, so those would have to be set up beforehand, and people would literally be sitting at tables for the ceremony. For some reason I don't like the feel of that. And once they sat down for dinner, they'd really be pretty stuck in their respective rows until people were done. I've always liked the round-table feel of more traditional receptions, and I'm concerned that rows would really suck the social vibe and life out of the party. I don't think this is as big a deal for FI as me, but it's really grinding my gears trying to imagine how that would be.

Here are my questions: is it worth it if the reception isn't exactly traditional, as long as guests are hosted properly? Will rows really ruin it? Should I compromise on this because FI loves it and figure it out later? I want him to be involved and happy with it, more than anything right now...

PS: there is a smaller caberet theatre that I really like in the same building, but it would hold a lot less people and isn't as "theatre-y" as the other... so FI says we might as well just get a cheap banquet hall instead of that one, though I disagree...

I generally hate theater rows and will often try to get seats on the aisle to avoid squeezing past people if I want to get out.  If I was "stuck" in the row through the ceremony and dinner, I would not be happy.  Part of hosting your guests properly is making sure they are comfortable.  The setup you describe just seems awkward and uncomfortable.  I would keep looking for another venue.
  • Options

@JoanE2012 Ok, this is what I needed to hear, thank you. I practically grew up in theatre, so that didn't really occur to me. I've thought about ways around this, I just can't think of any though.

Thanks for comments, ladies =)

• Options

Has the venue had weddings there before?  Can they speak to this issue of people being "trapped" at their tables all night?  I would want to ask about that with the venue, they might be able to reassure you either way.  Although they might want more of your money so definitely keep that in mind if they act like it's not a big deal at all. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards