March 2014 Weddings

What would you do?

Found out that after telling all mothers (my mom, FMIL and FSIL) that I don't care what color they wear as long as it's not white/off white/cream/ivory, that FMIL is planning on "recycling" the dress that she wore to FSIL's wedding 6 years ago.  I saw a picture and flipped.  It's OFF WHITE/CREAM.  (picture below). I'm so upset.  I told FI to ask FMIL to please reconsider wearing the dress and she has said that she doesn't have the money to go out and buy a new dress.  We have offered to take her out shopping and find her something that is under $100 (which I have found NUMEROUS at numerous stores locally).  She has agreed, but I have a feeling she is going to demand to wear the same thing over again...which I do not want.  I told FI that she'd be taking the attention away from me.  Plus, you don't wear the bride's color, or anything close to it, EVER!!!!  

What would you do?  I'm upset to the point that I'm crying over it..See picture below!

.image
Wedding Countdown Ticker
Michelle & Ronald
01/03/81
06/18/81
08/25/10
05/07/13
03/15/14

image172 Invites sent
image 132 adults and 3 kids are party animals
image 40 are party poopers
image 0 awaiting reply
Need 8 adults to make minimum.  Eek.

Re: What would you do?

• Key word in bold below.

1) take a deep breath
    2) Set a lunch date with her
    3) go find her a new dress

Found out that after telling all mothers (my mom, FMIL and FSIL) that I don't care what color they wear as long as it's not white/off white/cream/ivory, that FMIL is planning on "recycling" the dress that she wore to FSIL's wedding 6 years ago.  I saw a picture and flipped.  It's OFF WHITE/CREAM.  (picture below). I'm so upset.  I told FI to ask FMIL to please reconsider wearing the dress and she has said that she doesn't have the money to go out and buy a new dress.  We have offered to take her out shopping and find her something that is under $100 (which I have found NUMEROUS at numerous stores locally).  She has agreed, but I have a feeling she is going to demand to wear the same thing over again...which I do not want.  I told FI that she'd be taking the attention away from me.  Plus, you don't wear the bride's color, or anything close to it, EVER!!!!  

What would you do?  I'm upset to the point that I'm crying over it..See picture below!

.image

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • When my FMIL asked me what my color themes are, I told her blush, charcoal and ivory.  A couple of weeks later she sends me a few dress recommendations via text, ALL IVORY.   I simply replied, They're nice, but they are ivory... I didnt realize when you asked about colors it was for dresses, blush or charcoal would have been the answer.   I think that because my FMIL is in her early 40s still she wasn't offended and laughed, but this one is tough! IF she decides to wear the dress above, you should just simply tell her how you feel about that, and maybe nonchalantly hint at that reason WHILE you are dress shopping also?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• rakkaya87 said:

When my FMIL asked me what my color themes are, I told her blush, charcoal and ivory.  A couple of weeks later she sends me a few dress recommendations via text, ALL IVORY.   I simply replied, They're nice, but they are ivory... I didnt realize when you asked about colors it was for dresses, blush or charcoal would have been the answer.   I think that because my FMIL is in her early 40s still she wasn't offended and laughed, but this one is tough! IF she decides to wear the dress above, you should just simply tell her how you feel about that, and maybe nonchalantly hint at that reason WHILE you are dress shopping also?

My mom gave me great advice. I am to go to lunch with her and nicely tell her that when she had asked before what colors she could wear and i told her anything but white/ivory/cream/offwhite, i meant it. She may have been able to wear it to her daughters wedding but not to mine. If she wears it i will be extremely upset.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Michelle & Ronald
    01/03/81
    06/18/81
    08/25/10
    05/07/13
    03/15/14

image172 Invites sent
    image 0 awaiting reply
  • The dress wouldn't bother me. No one will mistake her as the bride. I guess I'm weird but it wouldn't be a hill I would die on.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Only reason why it bothers me is because she was told not that color. All has been settled. For now.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Michelle & Ronald
    01/03/81
    06/18/81
    08/25/10
    05/07/13
    03/15/14

image172 Invites sent
    image 0 awaiting reply