Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

How do you address a couple when the wife is a Dr?

Re: How do you address a couple when the wife is a Dr?

• Options
    Dr. Lady and Mr. Dude.

Anniversary
  • Options
    Do they go by the same last name?
  • Options
    Same name?
    Doctor and Mr. Lastname

Different names?
    Doctor Smartypants & Mr. Right
  • Options

Yes, same last name. Married with no children.

I was not sure how to send invitations to them as a couple.

• Options
    So it should be like this example: Dr. and Mr. Matthew Davis ?
  • Options
    I thought it would be Mr and Dr Jones. But I could be wrong.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Crane's is the go to:
    IN WHICH WIFE IS A DOCTOR

Outside Envelope
    Mr. and Mrs. Victor Newell
    OR
    Doctor Christina Newell and Mr. Victor Newell

Inside Envelope
    Mr. and Mrs. Newell
    OR
    Doctor Newell and Mr. Newell

http://blog.crane.com/2012/02/03/wedding-etiquette-how-to-address-your-envelopes/#In-Which-Wife-is-a-Doctor
  • Options
    It depends. If she is a doctor of medicine, dentistry, or veterinary medicine, she gets "Dr." in front of her name. If she's a PhD, socially, she gets "Ms." or "Mrs.," depending on her preference.

If they share a last name, it would be:
    Dr. and Mr. John Smith

If they do not share a last name, it would be: 
    Dr. Jane Smith and Mr. John Jones
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    Crane's is the go to:

Outside Envelope
    OR

Inside Envelope
    Mr. and Mrs. Newell
    OR

http://blog.crane.com/2012/02/03/wedding-etiquette-how-to-address-your-envelopes/#In-Which-Wife-is-a-Doctor

Gotcha. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    It depends. If she is a doctor of medicine, dentistry, or veterinary medicine, she gets "Dr." in front of her name. If she's a PhD, socially, she gets "Ms." or "Mrs.," depending on her preference.

Dr. and Mr. John Smith

I disagree on this one. I think if she is a Ph.D and she wants to be addressed as "Dr." she should be. 

Blah Blah blah but there is a difference blah blah.  I personally don't give two shits about the convention of calling only physicians Dr. on formal correspondence.  I find it antiquated and elitist.

I'm a fan of the convention that you address ppl how they wish to be addressed.  So if she wants to be Dr. Frou Frou of all Cupcakes, then you put that on the invitation.

ETA: I am not trying to take a severe tone with Friday. . . sorry if it comes off that way! I have no issue with her post.   I'm just bitchy about the Dr vs. Dr crap, lol.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options

Dr. and Mr. John Smith

No no no no no I am working my ASS off for this PhD. Please do not assume that women with PhDs prefer to go by Ms or Mrs socially.

We have a husband and wife with this particular set-up, so we addressed their save-the-date to: Dr Herfirst Last and Mr Hisfirst Last.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Options
    I would be pissed if I was a doctor (medical or otherwise) and was referred to as Mrs.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    phira said:

Dr. and Mr. John Smith

No no no no no I am working my ASS off for this PhD. Please do not assume that women with PhDs prefer to go by Ms or Mrs socially.

We have a husband and wife with this particular set-up, so we addressed their save-the-date to: Dr Herfirst Last and Mr Hisfirst Last.

I would be pissed if I was a doctor (medical or otherwise) and was referred to as Mrs.
    Proves my point.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Grumbledore gave me her dbl posting STI, noooooooooo!

• Options
    Kinda OT but I had Justice Ginsburg's husband as a professor. He has an invitation on his door that had been filled out "the honorable and mrs ginsburg" He got a kick out of it. 

• Options
    All the PhDs I know, and it's a lot, prefer to be addressed doctor.
  • Options
    phira said:

Dr. and Mr. John Smith

Technically it is correct that one should only automatically refer to a medical doctor as "Dr", but people choose their own titles.  So if a PhD wants to be referred to as "Dr", it is polite to address them as this.
  • Options
    phira said:

Dr. and Mr. John Smith

Technically it is correct that one should only automatically refer to a medical doctor as "Dr", but people choose their own titles.  So if a PhD wants to be referred to as "Dr", it is polite to address them as this.
    Yes, this is an antiquated and elitist convention, and I have yet to read, hear, or be given a logical reason for why this should be the case.

• Options
    All the PhDs I know, and it's a lot, prefer to be addressed doctor.
    I'm sure they do prefer it... 

• Options
    phira said:

Dr. and Mr. John Smith

Yes, this is an antiquated and elitist convention, and I have yet to read, hear, or be given a logical reason for why this should be the case.
    This! If etiquette is about being polite, and making your guests comfortable, why wouldn't you address them how they want to be addressed. We have a few PhDs (scientists) and a couple medical doctors on our guest list, and they are all being addressed as Dr. It doesn't affect me or my other guests in any way, so why wouldn't I do it? 

• Options
    phira said:

PhD is a doctoral degree. Dr = holds a doctoral degree. It is not "technically" correct to only refer to medical doctors as Dr.

Given that a PhD, at least in the sciences, takes at least 5-6 years, you can at least treat us like we worked hard for our degrees instead of treating us like we're not REALLY doctors and don't deserve the respect that comes with the title.
    This. Eight thousand times this.
  • Options
    Crane's is the go to:

Outside Envelope
    OR

Inside Envelope
    Mr. and Mrs. Newell
    OR

Why in gods name is it sometimes okay to refer to a female physician as "Mrs" but it's never okay to refer to a male physician as "Mr"????? We worked just as hard and got the exact same degree, I get really annoyed with this "no big deal we don't have to call her Dr" attitude 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Dr. and Mr. John Smith

I disagree on this one. I think if she is a Ph.D and she wants to be addressed as "Dr." she should be. 

Blah Blah blah but there is a difference blah blah.  I personally don't give two shits about the convention of calling only physicians Dr. on formal correspondence.  I find it antiquated and elitist.

I'm a fan of the convention that you address ppl how they wish to be addressed.  So if she wants to be Dr. Frou Frou of all Cupcakes, then you put that on the invitation.
    All right, I now have a flip reason to want to finish my PhD. Then I can officially be Dr. Frou Frou of All Cupcakes.
  • Options
    Where are you doing your PhD @Phira ?

• Options
    Whether you all think it's antiquated or not (and I happen to agree, FWIW), the etiquette rule still stands that PhD's don't get "Dr." in front of their names socially.

If you want to disregard that convention, that's fine, and I don't think anyone would side-eye you. But since this is the Etiquette board, I thought I'd quote what is still, technically, the etiquette rule.

FWIW, every single person with a PhD who was invited to my wedding was either "Dr. and Mrs." or "Dr. and Mr." or "The Drs."
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Whether you all think it's antiquated or not (and I happen to agree, FWIW), the etiquette rule still stands that PhD's don't get "Dr." in front of their names socially.

If you want to disregard that convention, that's fine, and I don't think anyone would side-eye you. But since this is the Etiquette board, I thought I'd quote what is still, technically, the etiquette rule.

FWIW, every single person with a PhD who was invited to my wedding was either "Dr. and Mrs." or "Dr. and Mr." or "The Drs."
    You had all of them at your wedding?!

• Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited January 2014
    deleted
  • Options
    I'm continually dissapointed in the number of people who do not acknowledge my doctorate on invites...kinda just expect it. Props to OP for asking!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards