Wedding Reception Forum

Are you getting a surprise groom's cake?

I've heard that it's more popular in the South, but basically the bride surprises the groom with a cake decorated as something he likes (hobby, sports team, fave candy). It can be given at the RD or displayed at the reception. Are you/did you do this? I was thinking of doing this just as a fun little gesture to incorporate FI's fave sports team...

Re: Are you getting a surprise groom's cake?

• I wanted to but time got away from me. It's one of my regrets.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • There's a good chance I'll be making my Irish Car Bomb cupcakes, but they certainly wouldn't be a surprise since it'll take me several days to make enough for the wedding - where on earth would I hide them?! 
    ~*~*~*~*~

• There's a good chance I'll be making my Irish Car Bomb cupcakes, but they certainly wouldn't be a surprise since it'll take me several days to make enough for the wedding - where on earth would I hide them?! 
    I make Irish Car Bomb cupcakes too!  Found the recipe online a couple St. Patty's Days ago.  They are boozy and delicious.

Yeah, I'm planning to do the groom's cake but I'll have to make sure I have the budget for it.  I was thinking it would be a dinosaur in honor of Fi's favorite movie (Jurassic Park ftw).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• My FIs other love of his life is his race car so I'm going to have a grooms cake made to look like his car, and serve it at the rehearsal dinner. @jcbride2014 a Jurassic Park cake would be frickin amazing!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am totally getting a grooms cake. I am thinking about getting it to look like his white coat. Since he has worked so hard in med school I want to give him something special. However, since medicine consumes so much of his life I am not sure he will want it in the wedding too.  If it is not his white coat I was thinking of getting it to look like our cat, who sometimes I think he loves more than me.  Are those totally bizarre? Now that I have typed that out, re-reading it I'm like WTF.

I don't know when we will serve it. Depends on how the logistics of the weekend goes. 
    I make Irish Car Bomb cupcakes too!  Found the recipe online a couple St. Patty's Days ago.  They are boozy and delicious.

Yeah, I'm planning to do the groom's cake but I'll have to make sure I have the budget for it.  I was thinking it would be a dinosaur in honor of Fi's favorite movie (Jurassic Park ftw).
    I mentioned making Irish Car Bomb cupcakes on a different forum a while ago and got a tongue lashing for being so insensitive.

• Lol everyone's sounds awesome!! amanda I don't think those ideas are that weird, when my MOH left for med school we had a send off with a cake that was a giant pill bottle hahaha

Dinosaur sounds awesome. My FI isn't really into anything except the Bruins here in Boston so I think I'm going to do one like this I found on google (well a bakery, I'm terrible at that stuff)...if we have enough "real" dessert this isn't expected to be enough for everyone, right?

• KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited January 2014

I did a surprise grooms cake. But I did it for the rehearsal dinner. I wanted Fi tobe able to see it and enjoy it. And I figured he would be too busy on the actual wedding day. My H really likes Coors Lite. And I call him Monkey as a nickname. So his grooms cake was a monkey holding a Coors lite. So basically a self portrait.

ETA: I am so happy I did this. Everyone raved. And plus, then we got cake two days in a row!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Nope. I think the groom's cake is a waste of money, TBH. 
  • Nope. Neither FI or I like cake so we are having pies for our wedding dessert. Although my grandma insists that she is making / bring a wedding cake because God for big there was a wedding sans cake. So I may be getting an unwanted surprise cake after all... :-/
  • We aren't doing a groom's cake, but we already have more than twice as much wedding cake than we need so it would seriously be just for show.
  • Viczaesar said:
    There's a good chance I'll be making my Irish Car Bomb cupcakes, but they certainly wouldn't be a surprise since it'll take me several days to make enough for the wedding - where on earth would I hide them?! 

I mentioned making Irish Car Bomb cupcakes on a different forum a while ago and got a tongue lashing for being so insensitive.
    That seems silly - it's the name of a drink. I think sometimes people just want to find something to get pissy over.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• ElcaB said:
    Nope. I think the groom's cake is a waste of money, TBH. 

How can cake ever be a waste of money?

I haven't decided yet if I am going to get him a cake. Logistics would have work in my favor.

• Viczaesar said:
    There's a good chance I'll be making my Irish Car Bomb cupcakes, but they certainly wouldn't be a surprise since it'll take me several days to make enough for the wedding - where on earth would I hide them?! 

That seems silly - it's the name of a drink. I think sometimes people just want to find something to get pissy over.
    What is insensitive about delicious cupcakes?  Do these people get all up in arms about the drink, too?  What else are you supposed to call it?  Eeesh.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• My mom is a master baker. . . . and was beyond upset that she couldn't make our wedding cake.  I had her do a grooms cake for DH at the Rehearsal Dinner instead.  DH is a huge golf fan, his dad is actually a golf announcer, and DH is a really good golfer.  She created a whole golf course cake that was boston creme.  He was so surprised and loved it.  It was a huge hit!
  • Viczaesar said:

What is insensitive about delicious cupcakes?  Do these people get all up in arms about the drink, too?  What else are you supposed to call it?  Eeesh.
    According to them I'm supposed to call them Chocolate Whiskey and Beer Cupcakes.  :p  I was pretty surprised at the vehemence of the reaction.

• Groom's cakes are fairly common up here in NYC too, I've seen them at several weddings.  I did have one- our wedding was two days before hubby's birthday, so I asked the baker who was making our wedding cake to make a tres leches cake (hubby's fave) and decorate it with NY Giants (his fave football team) colors and design.  It came out after we cut our cake, and the MC asked everyone to sing happy birthday.  Hubby said he liked it a lot :)
  • I'm planning to get one for the rehearsal dinner. FI loves playing baseball and almost went pro after highschool, so I'm planning to get a giant baseball glove with a ball inside it and get "What a great catch!" written on it. He'll be thrilled and I can make him blush all at the same time!
    My SIL makes Irish Car Bomb cupcakes. . . and she is going to do a bigger version for the groom's cake.

I didn't get to make the cookies on Monday, btw :/

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Viczaesar said:
    Viczaesar said:

According to them I'm supposed to call them Chocolate Whiskey and Beer Cupcakes.  :p  I was pretty surprised at the vehemence of the reaction.
    Oh FFS, people are so overly sensitive anymore, I just can't take it.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Viczaesar said:
    Good grief. I mean, yes, I see how it can be viewed as offensive but there are way worse things to get upset over.
    My SIL makes Irish Car Bomb cupcakes. . . and she is going to do a bigger version for the groom's cake.

I didn't get to make the cookies on Monday, btw :/

I thought about making a ICB cake for the groomscake, but there's something somewhat appropriate about making the drink into a cupcake that you "chug" in a couple of bites.

Hopefully you get to make the cookies soon! I'm probably going to make a batch soon too. Along with some ginger-spice cookies and some chocolate peppermint cookies to get rid of all these damn candy canes!

~*~*~*~*~

• I reeeaaallly want to do this for the RD. It is going to depend on budget, though. I'm concerned that sculpted cakes are really expensive. Research is definitely needed. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm doing it, but for the RD. We're having a really intimate ceremony, so we have a very small wedding party. My fiancé loves Transformers, so I'm having Publix customize their birthday cake version for us. It's going to be a decorated sheet cake, but cake is cake and it will be delicious. Plus, he'll totally dig it. :-)
  • @gizmo813 I asked our bakery and for a grooms cake to feed 40, it'll cost $150-$200 depending on design. This is in Vegas, so I'm not sure compared elsewhere if that's expensive or not, but I thought it was pretty reasonable.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @gizmo813 if you are near a college or culinary school, you can get super cheap sculpted cakes by having a student or group of students do it. Just ask the chef / professor for a reference.
  • Yes, I'm going to get my fiance a cake with his favorite soccer team's logo for the RD. We aren't Southern, but we both love cake.

Also - I used to work at a restaurant with an Irish bartender and he did NOT take kindly to customers ordering Irish car bombs. I understand this. I wouldn't order a drink called a "Boston marathon bomb" or a "9/11." You can order a boilermaker with Bailey's if you want.

With that said, I have made the cupcakes, and they are delicious! I called them "Guinness cupcakes with Irish whiskey ganache filling and Bailey's frosting." :)
  • I have been thinking about doing something like this for FI. I was thinking of getting him a white Z06 because that is his favorite car. I'm undecided at the moment.
  • doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2014
    No, it is not a popular tradition where I am from and it makes more sense, to me, to spend the money you would on a groom's cake on the wedding cake instead.  However, if I was to do a groom's cake, I know my FI would think any of these would think either of these were awesome:
  • I live in NY and have been to countless weddings. I have never seen a grooms cake. I won't be doing one.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards