June 2014 Weddings
Options

Veils

Are any of your wearing veils? If so did you get yours yet? Where did you get yours?

My dress came in last week so I am going to visit it today (squee) so I can get an idea about jewelry and a veil.  I only plan to wear the veil through the ceremony so I don't want to spend a lot. Just curious as to what you guys did....

Anniversary

Re: Veils

• Options
    My veil is my something borrowed. It is my FSIL's and the lace and embellishment around the edge looks like it was made for my dress!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    That's great.  @artemischief I wish I could just borrow one but i don't think any of my friends will have one that matches my dress. 

Anniversary

• Options
    I think my mom and I are going to make mine. She is very crafty/good at sewing (she made her own wedding dress), and I think that will be an extra special thing to make and keep.
  • Options
    I made mine. Actually I made two.  I don't know yet if I'll wear both (one is blusher length, the other is cathedral) or just the cathedral (pics below)image

I love veils :-)image
    20130121-125529.jpg 
      Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @wabanzi I love the appliqués! They would look really cute as a sort of hair piece too! Awesome job on the veil, cathedral length is my favorite.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    wabanziwabanzi member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2014
    @wabanzi I love the appliqués! They would look really cute as a sort of hair piece too! Awesome job on the veil, cathedral length is my favorite.
    Thanks! My dress has no train (but I love it), so I made a long veil to make me happy :-)

I cut that piece out from some lace and beaded it by hand.  I'm not sure how to make a hair piece out of it, but I should give that some thought...
    20130121-125529.jpg 
      Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Beautiful! What kind of fabric did you use for your veil?
  • Options
    108" ivory tulle from JoAnn's.  I think I bought the whole bolt for less than $20 (with a 40% off coupon and the extra 20% they give when you finish off the bolt).  

The wider tulle is softer -usually called Bridal tulle as opposed to the craft tulle.
    20130121-125529.jpg 
      Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @wabanzi that is amazingly beautiful!!! I'm so jealous of your skills. I just got back from seeing my dress.  I love it. The veils that I loved were 200-$300 dollars, so yea onto Plan B.

Anniversary

• Options
    @wabanzi that is amazingly beautiful!!! I'm so jealous of your skills. I just got back from seeing my dress.  I love it. The veils that I loved were 200-$300 dollars, so yea onto Plan B.
    Yep, sticker shock on those veil sent me right to the fabric store and $1 per yard tulle.  Veils are easy to make--very easy if you don't want edging/beading (that soft/floaty look).  And if you mess up the cut, you only blew about $5 maybe.
    20130121-125529.jpg 
      Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    How did you stitch the edge of yours?
  • Options
    Never mind, I found your blog on it. :)
  • Options
    @wabanzi link to the blog, am I completely missing it? For someone who is not very DIY savy is it hard to sew a comb into a veil?

Anniversary

• Options
    @wabanzi link to the blog, am I completely missing it? For someone who is not very DIY savy is it hard to sew a comb into a veil?
    I didn't post it above.  Here it is. I mainly write it to keep track of everything. 

Sewing the comb in is very easy.  I actually didn't post how to do it on the above link, but here is a good source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLIchE4VrZc

I did have a hard time finding the size comb I wanted.  I ended up buying one off of Ebay I think (only a $2 I believe).

20130121-125529.jpg 
      Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

@wabanzi That is some amazing skills.  It looks absolutely beautiful

I'm think about making my own too after seeing some prices.  It's only going to be used during the ceremony  I want a birdcage veil style, so I have a jewler friend on the look out for a hair comb/piece.  Through blogs and such I saw they are pretty easy to make with the right netting and a standard comb.  If it works it will be a large savings, if it doesn't work I'm out about $10. 

• Options
    I got mine off of Etsy. After seeing the ones in the store I knew I was never going to spend that on a piece of tulle. I paid $30 and I love it! Some of them on there aren't that great but I was able to find one I love :)

• Options
    melbelleupmelbelleup member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited January 2014
    I do have a veil, it's a little past my finger tips. It is made by the same designer as my dress (Alfred Angelos) and matches perfectly :) I got it the same time I got my dress (last June)

ETA: I'm only wearing mine during ceremony, but it was like $200.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    I already splurged a little on my dress (and the belt/sash that goes with it), so I just can't justify spending a ton on a veil. But I definitely want a multi-tiered one with a blusher and some detailing. So, I will be busting out my DIY skills...
  • Options
    I actually found a decent one on etsy I'm probably going to get a two tiered fingertip with beading for $50

Anniversary

• Options
    elBecko said:
    I bought mine on eBay. It's a hand-made birdcage veil with scattered crystals and a brooch on the comb. It was $25 with free shipping, and I think it was totally worth it. I had such a hard time finding a birdcage veil that wasn't either completely plain or with a giant fascinator attached. It is similar to this, but with a different brooch.

Bridal  Pearl Rhinestones Brooch &  IVORY Rhinestone Birdcage Veil 27-30683s

It's lovely!
    20130121-125529.jpg 
      Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Mad skills on making one! You should go into business!

I went to a consignment shop, found one I liked, didn't like that they still wanted over $100 for it. It had nice beading but had obviously been worn with some loose beads etc. I have a hard time spending that much on some tulle, let alone used tulle.

So when I went in for my dress fitting at a local shop I tried some one and found one I loved... for cheaper. I think it was about $90- the shop gave me a discount since I bought the dress from them too.

I almost went without the veil but I figured heck, when else am I going to wear one? It might make for some really nice pictures too. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards