Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Questions to ask your bakery

I asked all these questions (and more since answers to some questions lead to another / follow up question). Hope this helps

1. How long before the wedding will the cake be baked?

2. Will you personally transport the cake?

3. Do you provide the cake stand? If so, is there an extra charge and how much? If one is provided, how much time do I have to return it? What will the stand look like?

4. Do you have pictures of cakes you made recently that I can look at?

5. How do you figure out the per slice cost?

6. Can I taste a piece of one of your cakes?

7. What is your policy / how do you handle it if something happens to the cake on the way to the venue? Ex. Someone cuts you off and you slam the brakes and the cake falls.

8. What is the total price? Deposit?

Re: Questions to ask your bakery

• I'm just curious, what kind of answers did you get for #5? That isn't something I would ever ask because I would assume it's their labor and materials, but I'm just wondering what they told you.
  • I'm just curious, what kind of answers did you get for #5? That isn't something I would ever ask because I would assume it's their labor and materials, but I'm just wondering what they told you.

@tammym1001

They told me that fist it depends on if you went with one of their gourmet flavors or not (basically not commonly asked for vs commonly asked for). Gourmet ones are more expensive since it costs them more to make it. Then it depends on if that particular flavor is being used in all the tiers one just one and the size of the tier. So you were pretty close with labor and materials but for the most part it's the flavor you chose. We're not paying any extra for ours to be decorated.

• Yeah the flavors make sense. I know all the bakeries around me change the price per slice depending on how it's decorated because elaborate cakes take a lot more time than just a simple design.
  • @tammym1001

Yeah that's true and it's good that you know that already!
  • From experience working for a company that catered cakes....beware of #7. Get your answer in writing! What they say and what they do can be two completely different things.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards