Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Guests watching room flip?

We have begun looking at venues and the location we most likely will go with has an upstairs and a downstairs. You can rent just one floor or the whole building. We really only need the square footage of the main floor (also comes with large balcony space for an additonal bar area). We would have a large curtain hung to divide the space so guests could not see the table/reception decor on the other side until after the ceremony.

The large balcony area is big enough to host cocktail hour, but then guests could see the "transformation" of the space as tables were pulled out, uplighting was moved around and ceremony chairs were pulled away.

We are wondering if we should just opt to rent the additional downstairs space for cocktail hour and have guests directed down there once the ceremony is over, that way once the flip is done and dinner begins it will be a "big reveal". However, this would be at the extra cost of renting the additional space and some additional decor.

Do you think it's worth it? Would it bother you as a guest to see the tables and chairs being moved down below if you were enjoying cocktail hour from the balcony? Not sure if this is tacky or I'm just thinking too much into it.

Thanks ladies!!

Re: Guests watching room flip?

• Options
    Honestly, I probably wouldn't even notice the change over happening because I would be too busy eating appetizers, drinking a glass of wine and mingling with people.

I have no idea what this space really looks like but is there any way to curtain off the balcony area once everyone is in there?  That way the changeover will be blocked from view and you wouldn't have to rent additional space for what will really only be an hours worth of use.

• Options

That is a possibility - adding an extra curtain.  The balcony space is  all to one corner and doesn't wrap around the entire facility so it could probably work out.

It is a large raw event space, brick walls, polished concrete floors. Very urban (Portland, OR). You can transform the space top to bottom with whatever you would like, drapes, uplighting, chandeliers and so on. 

Hopefully we can get creative and conceal it all somehow until it's ready. I was just worried it would be a distraction to mingling guests - but  sounds like maybe not.

• Options
    TilaT25 said:

We have begun looking at venues and the location we most likely will go with has an upstairs and a downstairs. You can rent just one floor or the whole building. We really only need the square footage of the main floor (also comes with large balcony space for an additonal bar area). We would have a large curtain hung to divide the space so guests could not see the table/reception decor on the other side until after the ceremony.

The large balcony area is big enough to host cocktail hour, but then guests could see the "transformation" of the space as tables were pulled out, uplighting was moved around and ceremony chairs were pulled away.

We are wondering if we should just opt to rent the additional downstairs space for cocktail hour and have guests directed down there once the ceremony is over, that way once the flip is done and dinner begins it will be a "big reveal". However, this would be at the extra cost of renting the additional space and some additional decor.

Do you think it's worth it? Would it bother you as a guest to see the tables and chairs being moved down below if you were enjoying cocktail hour from the balcony? Not sure if this is tacky or I'm just thinking too much into it.

Thanks ladies!!

As a guest, I wouldn't mind....but as a host I wouldn't want my guests seeing it.   I'd rent the extra room.  We turned down a venue for this very same reason.....I didn't like the fact that my guests would be able to see the changeover.  I would definitely notice it as a guest...I always tend to be a bit more observant at events.
  • Options
    I'd worry about it being loud or annoying sounding more than the look of it happening. I agree with the PP, as long as it wasn't loud it wouldn't bother me as a guest but as a host I'd prefer my guests not be right next door to it.
  • Options
    TilaT25 said:

That is a possibility - adding an extra curtain.  The balcony space is  all to one corner and doesn't wrap around the entire facility so it could probably work out.

It is a large raw event space, brick walls, polished concrete floors. Very urban (Portland, OR). You can transform the space top to bottom with whatever you would like, drapes, uplighting, chandeliers and so on. 

Hopefully we can get creative and conceal it all somehow until it's ready. I was just worried it would be a distraction to mingling guests - but  sounds like maybe not.

where are you getting married in portland? I'm getting married there too. :) 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I've been to weddings like this before. It doesn't matter to me if I can see them flipping a room, but sometimes I am bothered by the balcony cocktail hours.  Usually those spaces aren't really big enough (well they say they are, but everyone feels squished) and I end up getting bumped into, trying to awkwardly hold a drink and plate and lean against a wall.  If the balcony is really big enough, then I don't see any issue :)
  • Options

blueeyes90, the space we are considering is Left Bank Annex. :)

Thank you for the input ladies! I hadn't thought about the noise factor either... I'll have to talk to the event manager more about these details. We are going to tour a few other spaces before pulling the trigger on this one.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards