Chit Chat
Options

Honeymoons!

I've been playing around with vacation planners all day at work and looking up different locations. I would love to know where you went or what you did! Or where you would love to go. I was engaged in Cancun and would not mind going there again. My sister was married in 2012 and just went to Hawaii in November for their honeymoon and loved it.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Honeymoons!

• Options

For our HM, we went to Thailand. It was amazing and I could not recommend it enough. Since we were already in Asia, we should have spent a day or two in Vietnam and Cambodia.

I have been dying to go to Norway, Sweden and Russia. And we actually had a trip planned for this summer. But I got pregnant and it didnt seem like a great idea to wander around Russia at 7months preg.

I would also love to go skiing in Argentina or Chile.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    That sounds awesome. My FI would LOVE to go somewhere with skiing and mountains. But I am the total opposite, I want water and a beach.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    H and I went to Key West for 5 days and then Miami Beach for 2.  We actually flew into Miami and then rented a convertible and drove to Key West.  We did some snorkeling and a dolphin watch (adorable!) and a sunset cruise (which is an absolute must for Key West) and then a bunch of relaxing and drinking and eating.

We had originally wanted to go to Maui for 2 weeks but after we bought a house we knew financially that wouldn't be possible.

I had also looked into a cruise/tour thing for Italy because I have always wanted to go to Italy but again, finances kept us from doing that.

• Options
    We are thinking about 3 weeks in Australia in December! We want to start a family soon, so we know that this may be the last time we have the opportunity to do a big ass vacation for awhile.
  • Options
    We did 8 days in the Bahamas (Sandals Royal Bahamian) and 4 days in Vegas. Vegas was booked after so we technically flew home for like 7 hours switched bags, napped and went to Vegas. Both were fantastic.

For our anniversary trip we are doing 10 days in Hawaii on the Big Island. We love warm weather.

If you've already been to Cancun (we have too), would you consider Cabo or some other places? I want to go to Cabo but that will be a few years out.
  • Options
    We're thinking about Belize. 
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    We went to Hawaii for our HM and loved it!  We spent 4 days on Oahu and 4 days on Maui.  It was the perfect mix for us, but one day we hope to go back to the Big Island.

My H is graduating law school and taking the bar this summer, so for his bar trip we're probably going to Secrets Maroma in Riviera Maya.  The resort has really great reviews and we're looking forward to the relaxing trip!
  • Options

I shouldn't have started this thread... my vacation fever is seriously raging now!

We talked about another place in Mexico (Cabo, Puerto Vallarta, Playa del Carmen) but nothing definite. We both feel a certain freedom about being able to go wherever we want. We have our passports already and no children yet.

@Maggie0829 - Just had to throw in that Miami and Key West are two of my most favorite places ever! My mother was actually born in Havana and I love the Cuban vibe in FL!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    2 days in  Amsterdam, 1 night in Johannesburg, 5 nights on safari (clicky), 3 nights Paris.  We also went to Philly for a night, then up to NYC for 3 more nights to go to the last game at old Yankee stadium before heading back to the islands.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    We are thinking Bali. We definitely want a tropical island. We were thinking Bora Bora previously but I'm loving the hotel in Bali!

As for other travels, I'd love to go to Thailand, back to Italy (Florence and Sicily), Greece (Crete), Paris, and Prague.
  • Options
    We are going to Kauai.  Can't wait!
  • Options
    We had our DW in Australia, so we honeymooned there as well! We did 2.5 weeks all along the Reef, starting out at the southern tip and ending up on the Northern tip.

I honeymooned in French Polynesia (Tahiti, Taha'a and Bora Bora after my first marriage.

I love to travel and do so a lot, so fun thread!!!

• Options
    We decided we wanted some low-key and chill after the craziness of the wedding. So we drove up to the Adirondacks and spent two nights in a luxury campground before continuing on for three nights in Montreal. It was perfect going somewhere we could easily return to, since we didn't feel pressure to do everything. It was relaxing, fun, and wonderful.
  • Options
     We went to Costa Rica for 7 days on our HM! It was absolutely amazing, and we'd totally recommend it for any out-doorsy couple! The beaches and rainforest are beautiful! We zip lined, did a coffee tour, river boat tour, snorkelling, cloud walk in the mountains, etc. It was one of the best trips we've ever been on! Definitely worth checking out, if this sounds like something you & your FI would be into! 

*J
  • Options
    We got married in July…it's super hot in July so we figured - let's go to Maine where it won't be blazing hot and eat lobster til we have to be rolled home.

It was the hottest week of the year and we have to show businesses how to use their window air conditioners bc they don't have central air :-p We still laugh about it.

It was awesome! I am ruined, I can't eat lobster anymore in the midwest :-9
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    We're going to Peru and while there we are going to hike/camp our way to Machu Picchu.
  • Options
    We're going to Barbados -- we both wanted a beach and sun, but nothing too focused on partying or touristy. We booked at Couples Barbados and it was since bought out by Sandals, so we'll see how it goes!

• Options
    WinstonsGirlWinstonsGirl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited January 2014
    We got married in Hawaii and HM'd in the eastern Med.  We did a cruise through Italy, Croatia, Greece, Turkey, Israel and Egypt.  

We're looking at Africa this summer, to climb Kilimanjaro and do a safari through Kenya/Uganda/Tanzania.  And DH doesn't know, but I'm taking him for a long weekend in San Fran this May.  Our travel wish list is crazy long.  Top picks are Russia, Spain/Portugal/Morocco, Thailand/Cambodia and South America so I can visit his family.  But put pretty much everywhere on my list.  :D

ETA - And Iceland, since there are some pretty amazing deals direct at the moment.  

• Options
    We're going to Puerto Rico. Neither of us have been there before so I am excited.

I don't know anything about the place we staying other than approximately where it is on the island.

I'm looking forward to the beach, historical stuff, phosphorescent bay and just being warm again! 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    jdluvr06 said:

We're going to Peru and while there we are going to hike/camp our way to Machu Picchu.

I'm just a lurker but just wanted to say my grandfather did Machu Picchu and loved it, the pictures I saw were beautiful. My cousin was a little upset when he found out he ate a guinea pig, but that was optional haha. He's traveled a lot and that was one of his all time favorite trips

• Options
    amakayebamakayeb member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited January 2014
    @photokitty--We are doing the same thing this July! (And our reasoning was exactly the same...let's hope we don't get the same weather this summer.) Any tips/suggestions?

ETA: I have a thread in the Honeymoon section, if you have anything and don't want to derail this thread. ;)
  • Options
    We are still throwing ideas in the air (we have a while), but so far we are thinking of: Tahiti, Australia, Brazil, or a trip to Europe(France, Italy, Spain). I also suggested an African Safari, but that would be a stretch since I know it would be super expensive.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Options
    FI and I are only doing a mini-moon immediately after our wedding - we're going somewhere local, probably the Natal Midlands, for a long weekend. We can't afford anything more at this point.

We're planning on taking a longer "honeymoon" in a year or two, when we've saved up for it. Top options at the moment are Australia (because we're Masterchef Aus fans and want to eat at all their restaurants) and Scandinavia. At some point we will also have to go to America to visit his family over there, but visiting family =/= honeymoon.
    imageDaisypath Friendship tickers
  • Options
    @cokezerofreak

DH and I went to Kauai for our honeymoon (in early December) it was amazing! 

I highly recommend doing the tubing down the plantation irrigation ditches with Kauai Backcountry Adventures!
  • Options
    lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited April 2014
    H and I went to Seattle.  It was close and relatively cheap. 
  • Options
    So we kind of have this crazy idea...My uncle has a condo on St. Kitts and FI's uncle has a house on Grenada. So we'd really like to island hop. I guess we have to figure out our budget and see if it's feasible first. Second option would be to go to Scotland.
  • Options
    We're boring.. we're going to VA beach for a week. This way, we'll only spend roughly $2,000 on our honeymoon, with our hotel being about $1,300. But, we do have a hotel right on the board walk. Can't wait. When I was a kid this was the place I wanted my honeymoon as my family would go every year for 10 days since I was born until I was in high school. FI and I actually only live an hour from VA beach now and go to the beach often, but this way we can enjoy the night life and everything the beach city has to offer without having to run home to take care of the dogs.

We're planning on going to Disneyland some time in the next couple years though since neither have been. I've been to Disney World 4 times, so we're looking for something new. We were going to go to Disney World for our honeymoon, but our honeymoon is right after the 4th of July and I don't want to deal with that big of crowds.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    dramamonkey  Thanks!  Any other recommendations?  :)
  • Options
    ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2014

All of these honeymoons look amazing!! 

Hubby and I spent 10 days in Rome, Florence, and Venice.  Wine, pizza, and gelato every day. I think I look at our HM scrapbook and photo album once a week. :)

• Options
    This whole thread makes me want to quit my job and hop on a plane.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards