Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Chiavari Chairs - are they comfortable??

It has not been easy, but we've finally picked the venue! They have nice mahogany chairs that are included, or if you need to add more people, you can pay an up charge of $4 per chair for chiavari chairs. I believe we can fit 8 people per table with the mahogany chairs and 10 per table with the chiavari chairs. I thought this was a great option, since we'll likely need the extra seats. Well, my parents don't feel this way. They are worried that the chairs are uncomfortable and that we will be crammed in like sardines, so they're suggesting we cut the guest list instead. I would like to hear reviews from anyone who used chiavari chairs in order to fit more guests in. Were they uncomfortable and were 10 per table too crowded? We will have guests in all shapes and sizes. Thanks! 

Re: Chiavari Chairs - are they comfortable??

• Options
    Our venue had chiavari chairs.  They were fine.  They are not lazy boy recliners, but they are comfy chairs.
  • Options
    I will say 10 people to a table is a lot and can feel extremely cramped especially when you start adding in all the dinnerware, glassware, centerpieces and whatever else you want to put on the tables.

As for the chairs.  To me, chairs are chairs.  As long as I have one to sit in when I feel like it I really don't care what kind of chair it is.

• Options
    I disagree that "a chair's a chair" because I hate having to sit in a tiny, flimsy chair that I"m worried is going to break or pinch me in some way, or snag my dress. But chivari chairs are just fine--nice and sturdy. A decent chair. 

The problem is putting 10 people per table if you don't have to. That is definitely crowded. I like this website that explains it. http://apracticalwedding.com/2013/08/wedding-seating-chart-tips/ 10 people at the table makes it so the chairs can't be pushed in at all...picture people sitting there, their knees will all be touching their neighbor's, and if you have to get up to go to the bathroom or something, your neighbors will have to move to accommodate you. (Note, this website shows chairs I'd describe as "flimsy" and I'd be worried they'd pinch me or break. They're not chivari chairs). 
  • Options
    MandyMost said:
    I disagree that "a chair's a chair" because I hate having to sit in a tiny, flimsy chair that I"m worried is going to break or pinch me in some way, or snag my dress. But chivari chairs are just fine--nice and sturdy. A decent chair. 

The problem is putting 10 people per table if you don't have to. That is definitely crowded. I like this website that explains it. http://apracticalwedding.com/2013/08/wedding-seating-chart-tips/ 10 people at the table makes it so the chairs can't be pushed in at all...picture people sitting there, their knees will all be touching their neighbor's, and if you have to get up to go to the bathroom or something, your neighbors will have to move to accommodate you. (Note, this website shows chairs I'd describe as "flimsy" and I'd be worried they'd pinch me or break. They're not chivari chairs). 
    FYI those chairs are not flimsy in the least.  We had a version of them at our wedding and felt very sturdy sitting in the while eating dinner.  In fact I have been to a few weddings with those chairs and have never once felt like they were going to break nor did they pinch me or my dress.  Those are actually very common chairs that are used at weddings and other events.

• Options
    What size tables does your venue have? Most venues offer 5' round tables which fit 8 people comfortably and would be crowded for 10. I have been to events with 6' round tables with 10 people at them though and it's comfortable. 
  • Options
    What size tables are you talking about?  My venue offerend two sizes - 60" (seats 8) and 72" (seats 10).  I'm sure you could have squeezed 10 people at a 60" table, but it would have been tight and uncomfortable and people would have been bumping elbows trying to cut their meat.
  • Options

Ven&Radio said:
    What size tables are you talking about?  My venue offerend two sizes - 60" (seats 8) and 72" (seats 10).  I'm sure you could have squeezed 10 people at a 60" table, but it would have been tight and uncomfortable and people would have been bumping elbows trying to cut their meat.
    ditto.

To answer your question I find them uncomfortable.   I would be even more so if you were trying to fit 10 of us on those chairs around a 60"

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! I'm guessing they're 60" rounds, but will confirm. Ten does seem tight. Wish we could do tables of 9! 
  • Options
    We had chiavari chairs and they were comfortable. 10 people per 60" table though is not my preference.  I always feel like I am watching my elbows.  We had 8 per table and it was wonderful feeling so open.  
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! I'm guessing they're 60" rounds, but will confirm. Ten does seem tight. Wish we could do tables of 9! 
    You can.  In fact we had tables that had 6, 7, 8 and 9 people.  It all depended on who knew who and who we wanted to sit where.  It is okay if not all the tables have the same exact number of people.

• Options
    indianaalumindianaalum member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited January 2014
    I think 10 people per table REALLY depends on how big the table is? Am I really the only person to think of this? LOL

If it is larger, go for it as long as people aren't crowded.

in fact, large tables with more tables might mean LESS tables in the longrun which could save you money on centerpieces...just food for thought

Agree, with others. Uneven amounts of people at each table is fine, as long as it is not 10 at one table and 2 at another
  • Options
    I think 10 people per table REALLY depends on how big the table is? Am I really the only person to think of this? LOL

in fact, large tables with more tables might mean LESS tables in the longrun which could save you money on centerpieces...just food for thought

Agree, with others. Uneven amounts of people at each table is fine, as long as it is not 10 at one table and 2 at another
    No you are not the only person to think of this. But typically a 60" table is the standard size when venues tell you that they can seat 8-10 people per table.

• Options

No there were at least 3 other people that already said that on this thread. LOL
  • Options

No there were at least 3 other people that already said that on this thread. LOL
    LOL. I  realized that too late. The first several posts hadn't said a word and I posted before I read. I own it! I screwed up! LOL
  • Options
    I confirmed it. They are 60" rounds. 

Good point! Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards