Snarky Brides

"helpful" answers only rant

I've seen a couple of instances of ladies asking for "helpful answers only" and I'd like to make this statement:

By telling you what exactly went wrong, we are being helpful.

By saying "do this, not that", we are being helpful.

By giving you any advice at all, we are being helpful.

Just because you disagree with what we're saying or don't want to hear criticism, that does not mean that we aren't helping. Take what internet strangers say with a heaping spoonful of sugar, because we're offering good medicine.
Daisypath Anniversary tickers
eyeroll

Re: "helpful" answers only rant

• And by being honest, you get straight answers, not sugar coated ones like family & friends sometimes give.

By being honest, were not being Bitches, or attacking you either.

You might indeed get snarky answers if you come on here claiming your being "attacked, or bullied."  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Yeah, that's my question, too, Cookie. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • PolarBearFitzPolarBearFitz member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2014
    but @inkdancer 'I am super sensitive and my PPD is totes approved by everyone of my guests ever! I definitely have reason for my cash bar and making people give me cash for my honeymoon.'

Seriously though I am over the blasting insulting threads people are putting up because they are not receiving the answers or  'helpful' advice they wanted to tell them their etiquette-less idea is genius.

• but @inkdancer 'I am super sensitive and my PPD is totes approved by everyone of my guests ever! I definitely have reason for my cash bar and making people give me cash for my honeymoon.'

Seriously though I am over the blasting insulting threads people are putting up because they are not receiving the answers or  'helpful' advice they wanted to tell them their etiquette-less idea is genius.

eyeroll
  • PolarBearFitzPolarBearFitz member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2014
    Inkdancer said:
    but @inkdancer 'I am super sensitive and my PPD is totes approved by everyone of my guests ever! I definitely have reason for my cash bar and making people give me cash for my honeymoon.'

Yup.

So if you ladies want to spray your face with glitter, make your 'bride-slaves' plan your event, have your cash bar, PPD, not feed your guests, not have appropriate seating and demand gifts then enjoy your friendless rude lives and carry on.

I just want to give them all awards :)

Anniversary
  • I'm sorry, @erinlin25, but I consder your answer useless without a puppy gif. You should just stop posting.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• edited January 2014
    I never post anything without being prepared for people to disagree.  I'm a grown ass woman, I can handle disagreements, and if I'm asking for advice I appreciate any advice I am given regardless of what I was hoping for.

I didn't stay in art school for too long, but rule #1 for all critiques, was grow a pair, deal with criticism, because you will never improve as an artist if people only say nice things no matter what you put in front of them.  Frankly in critiques the only comments that were REALLY helpful were the criticisms.  It's nice to hear compliments on work, don't get me wrong, but commenting to keep doing something I am already doing doesn't do as much as telling me to stop doing something that is making my work suffer.  I had special snowflakes in my class who would regularly produce the crappiest work in the class then bitch for HOURS if anyone said anything other than "ZOMG ITS PERFECT!"  Needless to say their work was just as shitty when they ended as when they began, meanwhile people like me who could accept criticism and move on improved- I went from being "Meh" in my drawing course to having the teacher pull me aside and tell me my work was at the top of the class.
    Obviously the situations are different, but I think the attitude towards critique is essential to improving in all aspects of life.  
  • I never post anything without being prepared for people to disagree.  I'm a grown ass woman, I can handle disagreements, and if I'm asking for advice I appreciate any advice I am given regardless of what I was hoping for.

I didn't stay in art school for too long, but rule #1 for all critiques, was grow a pair, deal with criticism, because you will never improve as an artist if people only say nice things no matter what you put in front of them.  Frankly in critiques the only comments that were REALLY helpful were the criticisms.  It's nice to hear compliments on work, don't get me wrong, but commenting to keep doing something I am already doing doesn't do as much as telling me to stop doing something that is making my work suffer.  I had special snowflakes in my class who would regularly produce the crappiest work in the class then bitch for HOURS if anyone said anything other than "ZOMG ITS PERFECT!"  Needless to say their work was just as shitty when they ended as when they began, meanwhile people like me who could accept criticism and move on improved- I went from being "Meh" in my drawing course to having the teacher pull me aside and tell me my work was at the top of the class.
    Obviously the situations are different, but I think the attitude towards critique is essential to improving in all aspects of life.  
    THIS. As an actor, I actually can't STAND when my director doesn't have a critique. I can't have a better performance if I don't know what needs to be worked on. Only tell me I did well if I did well, don't blow smoke.

And I'm sorry @Cookie Pusher that there is no puppy gif attached. You may now banish me from the internet. :)
  • @vollebell - I'll cut you some slack since you're an actor, but you better shape up or I'll send the Wedding Police after you!

@erinlin25 - You just made my day. You may continue to post on TK. ;)
    ~*~*~*~*~

• I'm a dance teacher, and tell my students - "If I take the time to correct you/give you constructive criticism, that is the most helpful thing I can do to your progress.  Your families and friends will tell you you're perfect even when you're not.  When I tell you how you can improve, that's me doing my job."

Plus, isn't the whole point of TK forums to get objective opinions from people that don't know you/care about you enough to try and protect your feelings and lie to tell you x is a great idea when in fact it's terrible?

And we usually don't get snarky or even borderline mean until people argue that their bad hosting/etiquette fail/etc is actually OK because their situation is ZOMG so different than anyone else's. 

• @vt&DT Completely irrelevant to the situation at hand, but dance teacher brofist!
    eyeroll
  • vollebell said:
    I never post anything without being prepared for people to disagree.  I'm a grown ass woman, I can handle disagreements, and if I'm asking for advice I appreciate any advice I am given regardless of what I was hoping for.

THIS. As an actor, I actually can't STAND when my director doesn't have a critique. I can't have a better performance if I don't know what needs to be worked on. Only tell me I did well if I did well, don't blow smoke.

And I'm sorry @Cookie Pusher that there is no puppy gif attached. You may now banish me from the internet. :)
    Definitely, I owe the quality of my artwork to helpful critique, especially from the drawing teacher I mentioned- he'd stand behind you while you were drawing, compare the proportions of the nude model to the proportions of your drawing, and if you were off, he'd make you start over.  Yeah, it was frustrating to just dump a drawing you were halfway done with, and it hurt to hear it was so bad you had to do it over, but it was far more helpful to start over and try again than it was to complete a poor quality drawing.
    And it really was super annoying to listen to the special snowflakes bitch.  I forgot to mention I was unfortunate enough to be roommates with three very special snowflakes so when someone mentioned something bad about their art, I had to listen to them whine for HOURS and talk about how whoever made the comment was so horrible.  
  • @HaileyDancingbear - Definitely learned how to take criticism from my Studio Art classes. Everyone should have to go through art critiques.
  • @polarbearfitz definitely.  If you can handle a critique, you can handle pretty much anything.  
  • Henceforth, I am going to consider myself Queen of The Knot, and I only deem answers with puppy pictures as helpful!

As previously stated, puppy pictures will please the Queen greatly! Please leave money in the basket in the corner if you would like to be part of my house party.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Whenever I see "helpful answers only please!" inevitably followed by a sideways happy face I get the urge to quote random Dr. Seuss and just leave it there for the special snowflake to try to decipher.  Well, I was going to give you honest feedback on your terrible, etiquette-less idea but now I feel significantly less helpful.
  • WildMageletWildMagelet member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited February 2014
    Your royal Knotiness @Cookie Pusher
    She's not a puppy anymore, but she still acts like one.

Formerly known as flutterbride2b
  • Aww, how precious, @flutterbride2b! Come, you may now help me craft 2934874598 things for my wedding. Oh, but just so we're clear, you're not actually invited to attend.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• @Cookie Pusher

Just like a brideslave!  But not.  Since I'm not actually invited to attend I think I need a cute title so I feel better about my inevitable papercuts and glueburns.
    Formerly known as flutterbride2b
  • But if you have a title, it will take attention away from me!! Dammit, it's MY DAY!
    ~*~*~*~*~

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards