Chit Chat

Got any tips to nix a canker sore?

(inside the mouth- not a cold sore)

I've tried rinsing with salt water for 3 days and it's still massive and uncomfortable to smile/ eat. Driving me nuts!!! Do you have anything that seems to work??

Must be stress related....we converted softwares at work and it's a disaster. I've been here 13 hour days all week and my boss literally didn't go home last night!!

Re: Got any tips to nix a canker sore?

• Alum powder. It will taste terrible. It works. Just put some on your fingertip and press against the sore.
  • Oh canker sores.  We are very well acquainted.

I buy this rinse called Peroxyl, it is made by Colgate and can be found at any drug store.  I also have a tube of Anbesol that will help to alleviate the pain.

I used to have canker sores horribly.  And even now I go through spells of having them.  Like a cold, there aren't any cures just things to make them feel not so bad.  Try and stay away from spicy/acidic foods.  I find that eating chicken noodle soup helps because of the broth.  Also milkshakes make your mouth feel great.  Also, I find icing my mouth area (if the canker sore is in the front or the side...doesn't help much if it is on the inner portion of your mouth) helps to ease the pain a bit.  Finally, take some pain medication like Excedrin or Ibuprofen.

Canker sores are definitely stress related, at least for me.  When I first started my job I got about 5 of them at once and one was the size of a dime.  Needless to say I didn't do much talking just a lot of nodding.

• Oh canker sores.  We are very well acquainted.

I buy this rinse called Peroxyl, it is made by Colgate and can be found at any drug store.  I also have a tube of Anbesol that will help to alleviate the pain.

I used to have canker sores horribly.  And even now I go through spells of having them.  Like a cold, there aren't any cures just things to make them feel not so bad.  Try and stay away from spicy/acidic foods.  I find that eating chicken noodle soup helps because of the broth.  Also milkshakes make your mouth feel great.  Also, I find icing my mouth area (if the canker sore is in the front or the side...doesn't help much if it is on the inner portion of your mouth) helps to ease the pain a bit.  Finally, take some pain medication like Excedrin or Ibuprofen.

Canker sores are definitely stress related, at least for me.  When I first started my job I got about 5 of them at once and one was the size of a dime.  Needless to say I didn't do much talking just a lot of nodding.

Stuck in Box: Ouch! That stinks. I would never want to talk either. Fi gets them more often than I ever do, so know I will know what to do to help him. Thanks! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Ugh! I despise canker sores!! Used to get them a lot when I was a teen & had braces; now it's usually stress induced &/or when I bite or cut the inside of my mouth. If by some random chance you're into essential oils, there's a great one called Thieves that helps a lot. Otherwise I've had good results with an OTC med called Kanka (hurts like a bitch though).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I heard the Magic Mouthwash works well. It did for me. I love eating fruits (especially pineapples) and I get them from eating too many fruits. 

1. 1 Part Milk of Magnesia (2 tsp – for her weight and age. She could have swallowed up to 1 tablespoon of this, but to create the mixture we only needed 2 teaspoons.)
    2. 1 Part Children’s Benedryl 
    3. 1 Part (or a little less) of water (1.5 tsp – to make it easier to stir and mix)
  • Niccirf said:
    Ugh! I despise canker sores!! Used to get them a lot when I was a teen & had braces; now it's usually stress induced &/or when I bite or cut the inside of my mouth. If by some random chance you're into essential oils, there's a great one called Thieves that helps a lot. Otherwise I've had good results with an OTC med called Kanka (hurts like a bitch though).

Thieves is AWESOME! I dab some on the underside of my tongue when I am feeling a cold or flu coming on.

As for Canker sores my H puts salt direclty on it with his finger...he swears it goes away within 24 hours after that.

• My little sister gets them a lot. When she can feel one coming on she starts taking Lysine in the morning and evening. Abreva seems to help too.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yep, I put salt right on 'em a few times a day. Hurts like hell, but I can feel the sore healing. It's almost like cuaterizing the area or something? I don't really know since my grandmother explained it to me in Chinese when I was really little and I just sort of went with it since it worked. I've also heard apple cider vinegar helps.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Niccirf said:
    Ugh! I despise canker sores!! Used to get them a lot when I was a teen & had braces; now it's usually stress induced &/or when I bite or cut the inside of my mouth. If by some random chance you're into essential oils, there's a great one called Thieves that helps a lot. Otherwise I've had good results with an OTC med called Kanka (hurts like a bitch though).
    I have used that as well.  When I first put it on I want to punch something but then after the spot numbs it feels amazing.

I also sometimes and just use a q-tip to dab peroxide right on the sore as well.  Those sucker fizz and bubble away.

• edited January 2014
    apply crushed aspirin (not teynol) directly to it. It will sting but it speeds the healing.

Or if you can find it  - Tanic Aid - awesome!
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• I rinse my mouth out with hydrogen peroxide. I also used to have a prescription wash, but it didn't seem to be aany better or worse.

• Glyoxide - works better than anything I have ever tried.
  • I love all these ideas! I have used sauerkraut juice -- tastes nasty but numbs the sore.
  • Awesome thanks so much everyone, will be stopping at the store on the way home from work!!

• Oh yea...this Kanka stuff is feeling pretty awesome LOL 

• jenna8984 said:
    Oh yea...this Kanka stuff is feeling pretty awesome LOL 
    It's exactly as Maggie0829 described, isn't it? Just when you're ready to punch something, this blissful numbness takes over & all is well in the universe again ;)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I have braces and get them usually after every adjustment. Usually the warm salt water swish helps but my really bad ones I've put a TUMS on it and it helps a ton!
  • If you get them regularly, try cutting acidic foods, esp. raw tomatoes. You could also switch to toothpaste without sodium lauryl sulphate in it - often sensitive tooth formulas work, but you have to check the label. I used to have several going at all times and these switches have really cut them back. Sometimes in summer I decide it's worth the pain and splurge on some calabrese salad, though.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards