Chit Chat

Loud Office Chewers?

Does anybody else share an office space with someone who chews so. damn. loudly.??

My office-mate chews so obnoxiously even when she's eating soft things like yogurt. I don't get it. 

It's just driving me up a wall today. 

Vent over, lol. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Loud Office Chewers?

• I don't share an office with a loud chewer but I do share home with one - my FI. He gnashes his teeth together when he chews and then he's also got this jaw popping thing that goes on so the combination of the two drives me batty. And he smacks his lips. Unless we're both eating at the same time, so I'm distracted, I have a hard time being in the same room as him when he eats.
  • One of my former coworkers used to lick the lid of whatever container her food was in. Used to drive me nuts. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Loud chewers drive me insane! How hard is it really to chew quietly?
  • I'm glad I'm not the only one!

I thought maybe I was being too sensitive, but it's seriously driving me insane today. 

She sounds like she is eating through the chewiest piece of meat in the world while smacking her lips....when she's literally eating yogurt.

TGIF!!! lol

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My boss does. She sits right behind me and I'll quietly working and then all of the sudden CRUNCH CRUNCH CRUNCH. And then she'll ask me a question with food in her mouth. Ew.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• My brother....
  • This is my biggest pet peeve ever. The guy I sat next to (I'm talking a foot away from) for 6 years was a loud eater. He would slurp his tea -- EVERY SIP. He would slurp oatmeal -- I don't even know how you SLURP oatmeal. And you would hear him chew every single bite of every single thing. It is an absolute miracle that I made it through all of those years without jumping out the window or being arrested for assault. 

• Not so much a loud chewer, but my boss is a smacker when she eats and it drives me nuts. We also have a VERY loud breather, and that drives me equally insane.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I used to share an office with a co-worker for about 3 years.  Every time he brought something in to eat I would immediately put my ear buds in because he would slop and slurp and smack and just chew so freaking loud I wanted to scream.  He would also constantly lick his lips through the day as well as clear his throat every 5 minutes.  I really don't know how I survived sitting in that office for as long as I did.

H and I also have a friend that chews with his mouth wide open.  This guy is 32 years old and eats like a 3 year old who is just trying to piss Mom and Dad off.  He also coughs up loogies and belches loudly no matter where he is.  And he wonders why he can't find a girlfriend.

• I used to share an office with someone who came in a few times a week and bought KFC.  He kept licking his fingers, which grossed me out. But worse, he wouldn't empty his trash can regularly because it wasn't full and we didn't have a housekeeping service or anything...  so the office always smelled like old KFC. I started emptying it for him.

imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
  • I used to share an office with a co-worker for about 3 years.  Every time he brought something in to eat I would immediately put my ear buds in because he would slop and slurp and smack and just chew so freaking loud I wanted to scream.  He would also constantly lick his lips through the day as well as clear his throat every 5 minutes.  I really don't know how I survived sitting in that office for as long as I did.

H and I also have a friend that chews with his mouth wide open.  This guy is 32 years old and eats like a 3 year old who is just trying to piss Mom and Dad off.  He also coughs up loogies and belches loudly no matter where he is.  And he wonders why he can't find a girlfriend.

She does this, too!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • This pains me as well. I used to have a coworker that would slurp everything including bananas and it made me twitchy.
  • This pains me as well. I used to have a coworker that would slurp everything including bananas and it made me twitchy.

*stuck in the damn box*

How on earth does one slurp a banana?!

• PolarBearFitzPolarBearFitz member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2014
    ckel24 said:

This pains me as well. I used to have a coworker that would slurp everything including bananas and it made me twitchy.

*stuck in the damn box*

It truly boggles the mind but slurping and smacking a banana is one of the grossest things I have ever witnessed. He smacked and slurped EVERYTHING he ate and it drove me up a wall. I had to leave my desk when he was eating which was all the damn time.

Captain Mcsmacky Slurperson was an awful cube neighbor.
  • A share an office with a guy who constantly eats with his mouth open (gross!) and always eats really loud crunchy foods. I'll be honest, I've snapped at him a few times. I really have trouble handling listening to people chew, it drives me absolutely insane! It's to the point where my SO will go to a different room to snack on crunchy foods.

• ckel24 said:

This pains me as well. I used to have a coworker that would slurp everything including bananas and it made me twitchy.

*stuck in the damn box*

It truly boggles the mind but slurping and smacking a banana is one of the grossest things I have ever witnessed. He smacked and slurped EVERYTHING he ate and it drove me up a wall. I had to leave my desk when he was eating which was all the damn time.

Captain Mcsmacky Slurperson was an awful cube neighbor.

*stuck in the box AGAIN*

Man, and I thought FI was bad! Though, he does lick his plate or bowl whenever he's done eating and that noise is like nails on a chalkboard. Glad that you don't have to listen to your coworker slurp everything he eats anymore!

edited January 2014
    Oh BTW everyone the psychological disorder for all of us who hate loud chewers (or other irritating noises) is Misophonia.
  • Oh BTW everyone the psychological disorder for all of us who hate loud chewers (or other irritating noises) is Misophonia.
    Good to know because I also hate when people yawn.  Yes, that is a dumb thing to hate, but when I was a Junior in HS there was this guy in my trig class who would yawn so fucking loudly.  He did it all the freaking time and I think he mainly did it to annoy the teacher.  Ever since then nobody can yawn around me or I will internally flip out.  There is a few people at work that will yawn loudly and then try and talk through it.  Ugh, it make me want to throw my stapler at them.

edited January 2014
    Oh BTW everyone the psychological disorder for all of us who hate loud chewers (or other irritating noises) is Misophonia.
    Good to know because I also hate when people yawn.  Yes, that is a dumb thing to hate, but when I was a Junior in HS there was this guy in my trig class who would yawn so fucking loudly.  He did it all the freaking time and I think he mainly did it to annoy the teacher.  Ever since then nobody can yawn around me or I will internally flip out.  There is a few people at work that will yawn loudly and then try and talk through it.  Ugh, it make me want to throw my stapler at them.
    LOL When people try to attempt words to me while they are yawning, I always tell them 'I'm sorry I don't speak yawnish...what was that again?'

Some lady in the office bathroom today was, what I am calling, 'scream sneezing.' I think I lost an ear drum in there. I think anytime someone is overly and unnecessarily loud is annoying (like your yawn story). My hearing is also really sensitive so I'm probably just a baby about it.
  • Loud chewing never bothered me, until...

My freshman year roommate.  She would chew SO LOUDLY.  It sounded like whatever she was eating came back to life, and she was trying to re-kill it.

And I swear the way she swallowed, you could ear food move through her esophagus.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Oh BTW everyone the psychological disorder for all of us who hate loud chewers (or other irritating noises) is Misophonia.
    LOL When people try to attempt words to me while they are yawning, I always tell them 'I'm sorry I don't speak yawnish...what was that again?'

Some lady in the office bathroom today was, what I am calling, 'scream sneezing.' I think I lost an ear drum in there. I think anytime someone is overly and unnecessarily loud is annoying (like your yawn story). My hearing is also really sensitive so I'm probably just a baby about it.
    I scream-sneeze and I hereby apologize to the world for it. I can't sneeze quietly - can't physically, I really do try to.
  • Also lip smackers. Cannot deal.

And people with persistent coughs who clearly have done nothing to remedy them. Like my coworker who has had a hacking cough (and hacks up gross stuff in the office bathroom sink) since I joined the office....a year ago.
  • ok i'm sorry for being a loud chewer! i try very hard but for some odd reason i can never be fully quite. i've learned to avoid eating chips, which makes me very sad.
  • I used to work with several gum snappers. All day long, you'd hear gum snapping from all directions. It got to the point where I would hear the sound ALL THE TIME, even away from work, because my brain was so messed up from hearing it so much.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• edited February 2014
    FI is a loud chewer/lip smacker, but only when we're at home. It drives me mental because it's like, if you can chew quietly and politely when we're in public or at someone else's home, why can't you do it in our home???

Edited: spelling

• I lose my appetite on the daily basis because of the people who sit in the cubes around me. I can hear it through the dividers. Turns my stomach.
  • The guy in the cube next to me has been slurping mini candy canes since before Christmas. The worst part is he then crunches them super loud to finish. Also, does anyone else hate it when people constantly sniffle? Drives me crazy!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yes! I hate sniffers, lip-smackers, see-food chewers, and slurpers... It makes me want to beat them. How hard is it to a) get a tissue, b) close your mouth, or c) chew quietly? I can't eat with them around... makes me nauseous.
  • OH MY GOSH YES. My coworker doesn't smack his lips, and he keeps his mouth shut, but its like he's trying to play freaking drums with his teeth. I'm at least 10 feet away and can hear his teeth clamping together. UGH. It's nauseating. I have to put headphones in just so I don't have to hear it. And it's with any food! He even does it with soup. I'm like...why do you need to be smashing your teeth together for soup?! So yes. I feel your pain.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards