Wedding Etiquette Forum

Re: For Your Consideration...

• Options
    Emmy1493Emmy1493 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited January 2014
    Agreed. Wish everyone saw it that way and didn't try to justify their dumb PPD. But they're SPESHUL, and their situation makes them SPESHUL and doesn't apply to the etiquette rules that are set there to make sure their wedding is hosted properly, and guests are too. 

P.S That was really an amazing story. Glad they could pull that off. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    *crying in my office on my lunch break*
  • Options
    Gross sobbing in my cubicle. Really reminds you what's important.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Options
    Thank God I'm home right now-tearing up for sure!  Wonderful that she could have her mom there and that they were able to pull that off and have so much support!  Beautiful story.

• Options
    what is this salty watery discharge coming from my eyes?

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    So simply beautiful.
  • Options
    That's so beautiful
  • Options
    And now I'm crying at work...what a beautiful wedding.
  • Options
    That gave me the chills!!! So beautiful!! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    This was so beautiful.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    Oh sweet baby jesus I'm so glad I waited to go home from work to look at this one.
  • Options

I knew after I read the comments that I should have waited....

I wish I could give her the biggest hug.

• Options
    Thank you for sharing this.  So touching.  This couple really knows what's important.  

I hope her mom gets a miracle.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    There is also a link to this on the Chit chat board too!

I think I have lots of dust in my house, Yes that is it, lots of dust!

• Options
    mimiphin said:

Me too.

It may seem "beautiful," but it also means that the couple have to marry before they're ready, just so a dying parent or grandparent's dream of seeing them marry in their lifetimes can come true.  That's a lot of pressure to put on a couple.  It might be "beautiful" if the couple are ready to go ahead and do that, but when I see things like this, it makes me wonder what happens to the marriage after the parent or grandparent dies.
  • Options
    mimiphinmimiphin member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2014
    They were already planning on getting married, they just moved it up by a year or two.
    Jen4948 said:
    mimiphin said:

Me too.

It may seem "beautiful," but it also means that the couple have to marry before they're ready, just so a dying parent or grandparent's dream of seeing them marry in their lifetimes can come true.  That's a lot of pressure to put on a couple.  It might be "beautiful" if the couple are ready to go ahead and do that, but when I see things like this, it makes me wonder what happens to the marriage after the parent or grandparent dies.

• Options

mimiphin said:
    They were already planning on getting married, they just moved it up by a year or two.
    Jen4948 said:
    mimiphin said:

Me too.

I don't know.  This is one I have some trouble with.  I do have sympathy for the parent or grandparent who is dying and may not have an opportunity to see their child or grandchild get married in their lifetimes if the wedding doesn't take place now-but that's a lot of pressure to put on a couple who may not even have been actually engaged and who may not be ready to start their lives now as a married couple, just so a third party's dream can come true.  It's a huge thing to ask of them when they might not be ready, because there's no going back and undoing it.

In this couple's case, since apparently they were engaged and they didn't mind doing this, it is perhaps "beautiful," but I think it's wrong to put that kind of pressure on a couple who hasn't made the decision for themselves that they'd want to go ahead and get married before they were ready.
  • Options
    Jen4948 said:
    mimiphin said:

Me too.

mimiphin brought it up! (I posted it in chit chat)
    Like Mimi stated, all they had to do was move up their date, they were already engaged. FI and I got engaged in September, and we are planning a May 2015 wedding just to save some more money, have time to enjoy the engagement, take engagement pictures, maybe have the pre wedding parties. We know that we would like a bigger wedding and want the time to plan it properly. To be honest, I feel more pressure now, planning the wedding and knowing we will be spending a good amount of money, than if we just did it now. But, we know what we want so we are waiting. If we had to get married tomorrow though, then so be it, tomorrow is my wedding day. Obviously they have a different kind of pressure because of a dying relative, but I don't think that would be detrimental to the marriage itself because they already knew they were getting married. It's not like they got married SOLELY because of the dying relative.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited February 2014
    pinkcow13 said:
    Jen4948 said:
    mimiphin said:

Me too.

mimiphin brought it up! (I posted it in chit chat)
    Like Mimi stated, all they had to do was move up their date, they were already engaged. FI and I got engaged in September, and we are planning a May 2015 wedding just to save some more money, have time to enjoy the engagement, take engagement pictures, maybe have the pre wedding parties. We know that we would like a bigger wedding and want the time to plan it properly. To be honest, I feel more pressure now, planning the wedding and knowing we will be spending a good amount of money, than if we just did it now. But, we know what we want so we are waiting. If we had to get married tomorrow though, then so be it, tomorrow is my wedding day. Obviously they have a different kind of pressure because of a dying relative, but I don't think that would be detrimental to the marriage itself because they already knew they were getting married. It's not like they got married SOLELY because of the dying relative.
    Right.  To get married solely because a dying relative wants it is, I think, marrying for the wrong reason.  It's very sad that otherwise that dying relative won't otherwise get to see them marry. But pressuring a couple to move things up doesn't seem to me like a good idea because it puts them under too much stress to make a life decision that is undoable and not redoable later.  This is not to say that a marriage under such conditions couldn't turn out beautifully-I just think it's a really huge expectation and a burden that shouldn't be put on anyone's shoulders.
  • Options
    Lovely :)
  • Options
    Those pictures are beautiful, and anyone who would not be happy with having those as their wedding photos to look back on would have to be totally heartless.
  • Options
    I agree that someone putting pressure on the couple to marry right away, so that me maw can see her snookims get married before she dies, is wrong. 

In this case though, it was the couple that decided to do it.  

I'm sure that y'all picked up what I was putting down, re: the excuses that people give for their PPDs.

P.S. Artby's kitty tickle gif makes me smile.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards