Ohio-Columbus

DJ Help

I'm looking for a DJ on 9/13/2014 from 5PM to 11PM. 

I have spoken with Rob from Columbus Pro DJ and Patrick from Team DJ and both are very nice and seem to fit what I'm looking for.  Both are $745 for the 6 hours.  Does anyone have any experience with either of these two DJs that can help me narrow it down or have another DJ to recommend in the same price range?  I don't know how to decide when even the price is the same! Thanks :)

Re: DJ Help

• donethatdonethat member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited January 2014
    Two great sources for DJ referrals are your photographer (they see everyone, bands and DJs) and the venue/caterer.  So - see if they have anyone they love working with, or if they have had personal experience with the guys you're talking to.  Also, if you have time to schedule an in person meeting, that would be a good idea, and probably help you decide.  

As far as choosing, read online reviews (here at The Wedding Channel and Wedding Wire) check the DJs you're considering websites or facebooks to see if there is anything awesome or red-flag-like to tell them apart.  

And finally, some other DJs that I have seen in action, or friends have had good experiences with:

Capitol City Sound
    Mark Dantzer
    Buckeye Sounds
    Night Music
    Matt Ryan

I feel pretty strongly about the DJ because they have so much power (Microphone!  Music choices!) at your reception.   
  • We used Night Music and would highly recommend them. Our DJ bailed on us two weeks before our wedding our photographer recommended Night Music and luckily for us they were available. We had tons of compliments about how great they were and how in tune with our guests and with the flow of the entire day. Jodi was absolutely amazing.
  • Capitol City Sounds is $1025
    Mark Dantzer was booked but one of his DJ's, PJ, is $1050
    Buckeye Entertainment was booked
    Night Music is $1095
    Matt Ryan was booked

Also recently talked to Audio Pro Mobile DJ (Ryan Keller) and he is $995.

I thought about Chris @ Mega Beat DJ but they use crappy speakers. 

Is the extra money really worth it for these other guys? Is there a reason why Columbus Pro DJs and Team DJ are much cheaper? I have met with both Patrick and Rob and enjoyed them both.
  • Both Chris(es) were booked from Capitol City Sound were booked or I would have used them in a heartbeat. I have been to 3 weddings that used them I really liked them. They do a great job with MCing and keep the dance floor going without being in your face or cheesy. They are my favorite Cbus DJs. I used BE, bc the price was the best if I couldn't get CCS…but that doesn't hop you, sorry.

I stayed away from Team DJ bc some of them are known for speaker dancing, break dancing, in your face, in the crowd type of DJ style and DH did not want that. Not sure if Patrick is one of those types…or if that is your thing, it just wasn't DH's :)
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Capitol City Sound uses Bose, which, quite frankly, are crappy.  Denon, Odyssey, Sony, Panasonic, and Yamaha make MUCH higher quality sound.

Bose has crappy sound systems and speakers. Bose favors an odd sound profile that does not segregate the sound well to the speakers and basically forces every speaker to be the same.  Even if they use Bose sound system and high end speakers, it would not help because the sound system makes the decisions on how to power the speakers. 
  • edited February 2014
    I think you should pick the dj you like best of the ones that meet your equipment requirements, given your knowledge it appears sound quality is your top priority and if both these guys meet it then pick the guy you think would be the one you would invite as a guest (if he's wasn't a vendor) bc he'd add something to the party :) GL!

• I talked with Steve at Night Music and felt really great about it.  He seems to be exactly what I am looking for.  However, it is $1095 and he suggests an additional speaker at my venue which is an extra $75.

It's quite a bit of extra money over the other two.  Columbus Pro DJ and Team DJ all have great reviews.  However, since they have so many DJs, it's hard to get a good feel for your DJ (Patrick or Rob in this case).  I'm sure they are also great, but you get a better warm/fuzzy feeling when it's a family owned small company that has been doing this a long time. 

The question is ---- is that worth $350? 
  • edited February 2014
    Personally, I'd say no. But I'm not a sound expert and music wasn't a priority - well after I couldn't get the band I wanted, it wasn't a priority. $350 is a lot of money to me. But I've never seen any of them in action so I'm not a good judge of if it would be worth it, sorry.

So personally I'd pick one of the cheaper ones - but then I picked the cheapest DJ I could find :) As long as you think you'll be happy with the sound quality I think you'll be fine, but it's really a personal decision you can make. If you feel great about him, he might be worthy he extra money - but he'd have to be fan-freaking-tastic for me to pay that much more.

GL! :)

• First question - can you afford it/is it in your budget?
    Second question - what are your priorities?

I look at cars, and think "that's crazy" when a friend buys a car that is twice as much as my car. To me, it is simply not a priority to have the newest/best/foreign/coolest car with all of the bells and whistles.  I have a "seasoned" car, and it (usually) gets me from point a to point b.  WHY in heaven's name is that other car SO much more?  And why does it matter so much to my friend. Again, not my priority.  

But, as my screen name suggests, I have been around and seen some things.  I won't buy into the "DJ can make or break" scenario, because there are lots of other factors at play in this game.. but I've seen some sketchy things and some things that could've been a little or a lot better. 

In the grand scheme of things (and because it really does seem to matter a lot to you)  how does the overall $ fit into your entire budget?  How does it break down "per person" for the outcome you want?  (Great sound, perfect reception flow, good music choices, professional help with timeline and suggestions, and a person you like and can depend on representing you and your DH in person and on the mic).

As I said before (as opposed to darling @Photokitty who knows I think she's wise and wonderful) DJ/entertainment is a big priority because of the music choice power, working with other vendor power, and power of the microphone.  So - that's just me, but I would vote to spend what you can on what you want.  

• edited February 2014

I totally agree and get what you are saying. I also think the person the mic is super important, but I wasn't concerned with speakers and input/outputs. I went with someone I felt comfortable with who other brides on here were endorsing and I had seen him in action at a wedding. I was sort of down playing the importance bc $350 is a lot for me and I really,
    really, really want the Conspricay Band but couldn't get them for my date. So it was a priority and I was willing to drop some major cash, but it didm' work out.

I feel for you OP, since most of us on here right know seem to be Buckeye Entertainment brides. And the ones donethat are recommending are booked except for the extra $350 guy. I think she's the only one you're going to get any personal experience from. Have you checked their raying on wedding wire in addition to the knot?
    donethat said:
    First question - can you afford it/is it in your budget?
    Second question - what are your priorities?

I look at cars, and think "that's crazy" when a friend buys a car that is twice as much as my car. To me, it is simply not a priority to have the newest/best/foreign/coolest car with all of the bells and whistles.  I have a "seasoned" car, and it (usually) gets me from point a to point b.  WHY in heaven's name is that other car SO much more?  And why does it matter so much to my friend. Again, not my priority.  

But, as my screen name suggests, I have been around and seen some things.  I won't buy into the "DJ can make or break" scenario, because there are lots of other factors at play in this game.. but I've seen some sketchy things and some things that could've been a little or a lot better. 

In the grand scheme of things (and because it really does seem to matter a lot to you)  how does the overall $ fit into your entire budget?  How does it break down "per person" for the outcome you want?  (Great sound, perfect reception flow, good music choices, professional help with timeline and suggestions, and a person you like and can depend on representing you and your DH in person and on the mic).

As I said before (as opposed to darling @Photokitty who knows I think she's wise and wonderful) DJ/entertainment is a big priority because of the music choice power, working with other vendor power, and power of the microphone.  So - that's just me, but I would vote to spend what you can on what you want.  

eta stupid quote boxes grrrrr

• Patrick from Team DJ, Rob from Columbus Pro DJ, and Steve from Night Music all use about equal sound equipment so that does not matter.

I don't want to have a night club type of party.  I want everyone (all ages) to have FUN and be out on the dance floor dancing and having a good time! I want the right music played and I want a DJ who has the experience to know when to play what music to keep people out on the dance floor.  I also like a DJ who is relatively removed.  I want someone who can make the announcements, make sure everyone is present for the big stuff and everyone knows what is going on, but you tend to forget he's there because the music is great all the time and you're too busy having fun!
  • Ahh! I forgot Jon from Encore Entertainment as well!! Anyone use him? 
  • Awesome! Thanks for all the help.  I heard back from my photographer since he's worked with so many DJs.  He said:

Rob @ Columbus Pro DJ is good and I have worked with him two or three times.  Also good at Columbus Pro DJ is Mike, Jeff and Ken.

Patrick @ Team DJ is good as well, but their best is Todd, but he is usually booked well in advance being the owner. 

Steve @ Night Music - never worked with him, so I'm not sure of his style.

Jon @ Encore - would be a no :-)

I guess that solves it! 
  • Yes!!. At least it was for us. I would pick Night Music if I had to do it all over again.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards