June 2014 Weddings
Options

Writing your own vows?

Just curious if you will be writing and/or reading your own vows during the ceremony.

If so, will you edit/look over each other's beforehand or wait for the surprise?

If you have a draft (or final version)--do you care to share?
20130121-125529.jpg 
  Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Writing your own vows?

• Options

I looked on line for vows and ceremonies. I took bits and pieces from different ones and wrote our whole ceremony. Our officiant was a friend and this was her first wedding. Not sure which vows you are looking for so I copied both marriage vows and rind vows. Since DH knew he would ne nervous he did not want to say much so we had the officiant say most of it and us only say a little.

Officiant part: Do you grooms name  take brides name to be your lawfully wedded wife. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Do you vow to love and care for her in the good times and the challenging ones,

for as long as you both shall live.

Forsaking all others will you love only her

with all the passion and caring you have to offer.

Do you take her completely as she is and offer yourself to her as you are

Will you be there for her whenever she needs you

And will you celebrate life with her daily?

Groom’s part:  I do. brides name you are my soul mate and my best friend.

I look forward to spending my life with you..

(Repeat for bride)

(Ring Ceremony VOWS)

Traditionally, the passage to status of husband and wife is marked by the exchange of rings. These rings are a symbol of the unbroken circle of love. Love freely given has no beginning and no end, no giver and no receiver, for each is the giver and each is the receiver. May these rings always remind you of the vows you have taken today.

Grooms name, will you please place the ring on the third finger of brides name's left hand and will you repeat after me:

Brides name, I give you this ring

as a symbol of my love.

As it encircles your finger,

may it remind you always

that you are surrounded by

my enduring love.

Repeat for bride placing ring on grooms hand

• Options
    Not really looking for a reason, only curious what everyone is doing.
    20130121-125529.jpg 
      Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    CheleLynCheleLyn member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited February 2014
    I'm terrible at writing things, but Jason wants to do our own vows. It took me months, but I actually went online and found a bunch of things I liked then put together what I felt fit me and him the best. Here's my vows to him....

I take you, Jason, as my friend and eternal love, beside me and apart from me, in laughter and in tears, in conflict and tranquility, asking that you be no other than yourself, loving what I know of you, trusting what I have yet to learn. I promise to laugh with you when times are good and to stand beside when times are not good. I vow to be your strength and your sanctuary. I will honor you, be faithful to you, take care of you when you are well and when you are ill. But above all, I promise to love you until the end of time.

Eta...we will not be sharing our vows with each other prior to actually saying them during the ceremony.
    ~*~June 21, 2014~*~

• Options
    Those are so beautiful!
    20130121-125529.jpg 
      Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    nope just doing whatever is standard at our church

Anniversary

• Options
    brittanyerinkbrittanyerink member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited February 2014
    I'm with you, @elBecko! I'm super introverted too. I was always set on writing our own, but as it gets closer, I feel like I'll be way too nervous and emotional reading them in front of an audience! So we're also considering writing our own just to read to each other privately (like during the first look before the ceremony), and doing traditional vows for the ceremony itself.
  • Options
    @CheleLyn Those are absolutely beautiful!

DH and I are writing our own. We're not sharing them beforehand. He's always been the type to write me letters, so we felt like writing our own vows was a definite yes. I don't have a draft yet, but I'll be starting them soon.
  • Options

@CheleLyn Those are absolutely beautiful!

DH and I are writing our own. We're not sharing them beforehand. He's always been the type to write me letters, so we felt like writing our own vows was a definite yes. I don't have a draft yet, but I'll be starting them soon.
    ~*~June 21, 2014~*~

• Options
    I won't be saying anything other than, "I do," during my ceremony. We are even requesting to have the "repeat after me" part left out in our ceremony.
  • Options
    Well, I've written a draft of my vows.  They need some polishing, so if you have any suggestions/comments please let me know (I love the feedback):

When we found each other, I realized I had been living in a black and white world, 

It lacked color and depth. 

Living in this new, vibrant world with you, I never want to let it go.  

So I selfishly vow to be with you, 

to hold you in my heart and head when we are together and when we are apart.

To consider you, protect you.

Sing, dance laugh, lament, and cry with you.

Each day, I vow to reflect back the colorful joy in my heart by having you in my life, 

so that you will feel and know my devotion, my happiness.

I just promise to love you, completely and honestly, 

For the person you have been, are today, and will become.

You are amazing, and I am truly honored to become your wife.

20130121-125529.jpg 
      Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @wabanzi Those are beautiful! Very heartfelt.
  • Options
    @wabanzi Those are beautiful! Very heartfelt.
    Oh thanks :-)  I'm still working on them.  I'm completely satisfied with some of my word choices, but they state, pretty much, what I feel.
    20130121-125529.jpg 
      Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @wabanzi Unless you're just adding more to it, I don't think there's really anything you have to work on; They're so beautiful. And yeah, you can definitely tell that they convey your feelings. Congratulations :)
  • Options
    @wabanzi Unless you're just adding more to it, I don't think there's really anything you have to work on; They're so beautiful. And yeah, you can definitely tell that they convey your feelings. Congratulations :)

I don't really want to add any more, I want them short. I just want to make sure they sound OK when I speak the words, so I  need to practice a few times and change words that might trip me up.

Thank you for the nice feedback.  Writing them is difficult.  FI & I are not sharing them beforehand, so it's nice to get some opinions.  I hope FI feels my emotion through them.
    20130121-125529.jpg 
      Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We're writing my own vows and I haven't started yet but my FI is done with his! Can anyone share some websites they used to get ideas for theirs?
  • Options
    My FI and I are writing our vows - in three different languages! We haven't actually started on them yet; but we know we are says individual vows (mine in English and his in Dutch) and we are then saying vows together (not the same ones) in Swedish.
  • Options
    FI and I are writing our own vows.  I'm more into sharing some personal things that I might not be able to find in a traditional vows, like how I love the little scowl he gets when he is perplexed, but no one is looking.  It's not something he can recreate either, it's totally involuntary. :)

He was upset a few months ago because his phone crashed and he lost everything he had written, but hopefully he will be able to remember.  He writes a little each day as he thinks of it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker}
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards