Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Wax before wedding

So I have planned to get the infamous BRAZILIAN wax.  Im nervous like hell but know FI' will indeed be surprised....Any good or horror stories from your Bridal Wax

Re: Wax before wedding

• I would recommend taking a Motrin before you go for your first time and get it done once or twice before your wedding, just so the hair is softer and the skin is less inflamed. I would definitely invest in an ingrown hair serum to eliminate any of those. I've been going for over a year to the European Wax Center and I love it there. The first time is the worst time, it only gets easier but for me it wasn't AS terrible as I was expecting.
  • Don't let right before your wedding be the FIRST time you get it, you'll be red and sore- the first time is gonna SUCK.  Make appointments to get it done a few times before then, so that by the time your wedding rolls around you and your skin will be used to it!
  • Well thanks ladies im glad i did post before doing it a few day before wedding as I planned. I may start april and may every 30 days up to weddding.
  • You can get lidocaine cream to help numb up the area (you can order 4% or 5% over counter).  Put it on an hour or two before treatment and wash it off about 5 minutes before treatment.  It should help with the pain a little bit. 

• Pardon my ignorance, but the brazillion waxes all "bits", right? As in, not just a bikini wax but rather gets in there and cleans up the whoooole nether region? 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Drewsgirl31Drewsgirl31 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited February 2014
    I tried it once, got one side done and when she got to the top at our special spot my legs snapped closed on her hand/arm. My MIL and SIL had to pry them apart lol my h got a great laugh out of it that night though before I shaved the other side. I would recommend pain pills (tylonal/ibuprofen) or some shots first lol
  • @Niccirf yup all up in thur....( lol thur for a reason)

I was wondering if I should shave down a little before I go out let it just kind of grow out....I know tmi

• @Carters0908 If it's long...then yes...I'd trim the hair down to be between a 1/4 and 1/2. Enough to have something for the wax to grab on to...but not so much that your aesthetician can't work. So if you want to shave fully first and then let it grow out by about a 1/4 inch or 1/2 that'd be fine too.

I've been getting brazilians for over 2 years now and it's the best thing ever. You definitely want to go at least 2 or 3 times before your wedding...although I highly doubt you'll need to go as often as every 30 days. Depending on how fast your hair comes back you'll probably go in about every 5 to 6 weeks. I can stretch my visits up to 8 weeks apart sometimes but I try to keep it between 6 and 7 weeks between waxes. Also, I'd recommend scheduling your last wax before the wedding about 3 or 4 days ahead of time. You don't want to do it the day before. I'm usually pretty sensitive and red sometimes for a day or two after I get waxed and you just don't want to deal with being uncomfortable and sore on your wedding night.

• @carters0908  Yes you should let it grow in a bit before waxing.  The wax needs about 1/4 inch to grab onto...

@niccirf You can request a modified brazilian, and leave a bit of hair up top.  Not everyone wants to look like an eight year old so it's a common request ;)

And don't forget to wear comfy underwear the day of, like boy shorts.  You wouldn't want to put a thong on right afterwards.

• Two pp hit nail on head with length, length of time between waxes and when to go prior to the big day.  I get them done every 6 weeks (for over one year) from this Russian lady who is done is 5 minutes.  Not even kidding, 5 minutes.  It will hurt, but this lady is so fast you don't even have time to think what the heck just happened.  The middle hurts the worst (more than the area you would think hurts like crazy!).   Take motrin before; I think after my first time I also used ice afterwards (bag of peas).  Usually after for 2-3 days I apply neosporin to help as well.  I've heard good things about European Wax Center--they are a chain, so your city may have them.  Good luck and enjoy! :)
  • I kind of want one too for my wedding.  I usually shave it all off but it isn't as smooth as I'd like it to be after a while.
  • Try sugaring too -- I used to get waxed and MUCH prefer sugaring. It's a lot gentler on the skin and I see way better results from it. And I agree with the previous ladies' comments!
  • So ladies I got the Wax and i wont mention the Whoooole spa heard me screaming lol...Not as bad as they hype it up to be I think I was more scared then in pain..
  • PPs have all given wonderful advice. I've been getting brazilians done on and off for years and they're wonderful!  All I have to add is make sure you go to a reputable place and if the room seems at all dirty, leave right away! I know it can be embarrassing, but I'd ask girlfriends where they go; look up reviews. Done by the right person, a brazilian takes 5-8 minutes and the little red bumps leave after about one day. Done wrong, it can take 30 minutes, skin can be ripped off (seriously painful), and take one week to heal. Seriously - find a good person!!!

As for the day of, I'd recommend: trim your pubic hair if needed, wash yourself fully before the appointment (reduces possibility of infections in hair follicles), wear relatively lose cotton underwear, if the esthetician doesn't do it, put almond oil on your parts to help prevent ingrown hairs and rashes. 
  • Oh, I just saw that you went already - maybe advice for next time!!!!! 
  • I definitely would recommend Sugaring over waxing.  For me the Sugaring left my skin smoother and was not as harsh on my skin as the wax.
    ADDITIONALLY - I ALWAYS breakout down there about 1-2 days afterwards up to day 5 or 6.. then things settle down and I'm good.  It was a lot worse when I was getting waxed - from what I understand the wax has a tendency to clog the pores and leave a residue behind that won't rinse off as easily as the sugaring.  Once I go home I rinse with a mild cleanser/water to remove any sugar stickiness left.   
    BUT I definitely recommend having it done about 5-7 days before the big night ... my hair is no where near starting to grow back by then and I'm through the post-breakout period.  Not sure if anyone else experiences this ever? I would think so.  
    GOOD LUCK!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards