Chit Chat

NWR: Seriously?

So have you all heard about Olive Garden's new sad flailing attempt to stay afloat? Apparently now, the company will provide free child care for customers. How sad is that? And what parent would trust their child to a stranger? No way! I'm sorry, but the despicable burgers and fries attempt to compete with McDonalds was bad enough!

If you want to get repeat business maybe serve good food! If the food wasn't all canned, pre-made frozen, and microwaved crap maybe people would be interested in your over priced portions.

It drives me crazy the levels companies will stoop to just for that extra buck. I can see so many problems with this free kiddy care... Lawsuits waiting to happen...

What do you think?

Re: NWR: Seriously?

• I don't think it's a good idea, but I actually like Olive Garden. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • In theory, I get why they want to test it out.  You might be surprised how many people go away and get babysitters from hotels.  Many people leave their kids at gyms while they workout.  Kind-of the same thing.

However in real life I think it will be a big fail.

As far as Olive Garden, well I'm somewhat of a restaurant snob and haven't been in 20 years.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • The Olive Garden near me always has long wait whenever we go so I guess they are doing something right. And honestly if you can give me good ravioli, some warm breadsticks and some yummy dressing to put on lettuce then I am happy. But then again I don't have the most refined palette.

• I love Olive Garden actually lol even though I have had better, it's still the spot we choose to go to girls night lol However, my kids would either go and eat with us or I'd get someone I trust to watch them. Have any of you worked in a restaurant? No way in hell I'd leave them with someone I didn't know there. *note: Not everyone in restaurants do drugs but a very large majority do.
  • I haven't seen anything about this! The commercials here are always just about their never ending pasta bowls.

Olive Garden has never been my favorite, but I can't say that I've ever been disappointed.

Unfortunately, though, the only restaurants that exist here are chain restaurants like Olive Garden. It's really upsetting after living in Los Angeles proper for so long and having so many FANTASTIC non-chain joints.
  • Ever since I was young, I have always ordered the same exact thing every time from OG: fettucini alfredo with salad.  And their breadsticks are amazing.  
    But I would not trust employees of a restaurant like that to watch children, especially considering two employees under me a few years ago worked a second job at OG.  They were just trashy young girls who thought they were hot shit and could barely show up to work, yet alone pay attention to a child.  If it were a responsible adult, that might be different, but you can't generalize all restaurant employees to be the same.  Some might be great at their job and terrible with kids.  Some might be great with kids and great at their job.  Case in point: my mother is a chef and very responsible adult.  The waitresses at her restaurant?  Meh: some aren't the brightest, some are awesome, some are just plain stupid.  Child care should be left to child care providers IMO.

• They aren't just openly paying for any babysitters.  They will pay for your kids to go to "My Gym", while you eat.  You have to make a reservation at the gym, then you pay a deposit when you drop off your kid.  If you have an Olive Garden receipt when you come back to pick up your kid, they will return your deposit.  So, it's more like dropping your kids off at daycare, rather than a babysitting service. It provides a marketing opportunity for both Olive Garden and My Gym and I'm sure they are each covering a share of the cost.

• nicoann said:
    They aren't just openly paying for any babysitters.  They will pay for your kids to go to "My Gym", while you eat.  You have to make a reservation at the gym, then you pay a deposit when you drop off your kid.  If you have an Olive Garden receipt when you come back to pick up your kid, they will return your deposit.  So, it's more like dropping your kids off at daycare, rather than a babysitting service. It provides a marketing opportunity for both Olive Garden and My Gym and I'm sure they are each covering a share of the cost.
    This makes much more sense to me.  I hadn't heard about this before, but if it's like a daycare service, that sounds normal.

• nicoann said:
    They aren't just openly paying for any babysitters.  They will pay for your kids to go to "My Gym", while you eat.  You have to make a reservation at the gym, then you pay a deposit when you drop off your kid.  If you have an Olive Garden receipt when you come back to pick up your kid, they will return your deposit.  So, it's more like dropping your kids off at daycare, rather than a babysitting service. It provides a marketing opportunity for both Olive Garden and My Gym and I'm sure they are each covering a share of the cost.
    That makes a lot more sense. Yeah I've worked at restaurants and I wouldn't let a kid out of my sight for 5 mins lol. But I'm sure a lot of people would.

I think Olive Garden is super overrated but they are popular. There's been a huge wait anytime I've gone into one.
  • bummer, H & I love Olive Garden (and now I am craving it!!)   I would never let a random person watch my children at a restaurant though.  I may like Olive Garden but not my idea of a romantic dinner sans kids.

Anniversary
  • I fairly snobby about food, but I can't lie - I have a thing for their breadsticks. Same with Red Lobster's Cheddar Bay Biscuits. I have no idea WHY, but at least it means I have something that I can tolerate eating when we end up in areas with limited restaurant options.
    ~*~*~*~*~

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards