Wedding 911

Can't get a hold of anyone at my reception location!!

KD+ARKD+AR member
5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
edited February 2014 in Wedding 911
Ok I am a bride who REALLY jumped the gun on planning my wedding. I have been planning for nearly 2 years (We aren't good at saving, so we need to plan as we pay... especially with no help from our parents).
Anyway... My fiance and I picked a venue we really liked. We reviewed their website liked their packages and prices. From the pictures we saw we thought it was pretty and suitable for our event. The week before our appointment to walk the venue, there was an electrical fire and it was wrecked. That was February of 2013. It took for ever to rebuild because they have to rewire the whole place, so we never got to see the venue. The planner whom I had been communicating with for a couple weeks wanted to meet with us to see if there was any chance of us still signing. She promised the venue would be open by October, and if we booked then we could get the pre-renovation prices. So we found the perfect menu, and package, signed on and gave her a check for $1000.00. We spoke with her 3 more times fist time was to let her know we were sending in another installment, second time was to meet up and make a game plan of our wedding day and make a payment, and final time was her contacting us to let us know that she has resigned as the even planner and someone else was now in charge.... O.o 
So I call the country club where we are going and can't get a hold of the new guy. Never calls me back but at least someone said the ball room and sittingroom wouldn't be open until December. December comes and its finally opened they have a Christmas party for their patrons at the beginning of the month, then close for 3 weeks for the holidays. Its now February first and I haven't been able to get a hold of anyone. No one answers the phone, or email... and I don't know what to do. My fiance and I still haven't seen the venue... the last time I got a hold of someone the waitress who answered the phone was kind enough to text me a few pictures... but thats it. What makes me nervous is I am 3 months out and our ceremony location fell through and I need to find a way to have my ceremony and reception in the same room... and I have no idea how that is going to happen. Is it normal not to hear back like this? Am I just over reacting? I am just super stressed.. Things haven't gone according to plan so far with a few things and its starting to get me freaked out. 2 bridemaids bailed (my sisters no less), my wedding band comes in 1/4 size too small and I am gaining weight due to stress and poor decisions, and like I said my quaint little town hall built in the 1800s bailed for a ham and bean supper....

Comfort, advice and quit-yer-bitching is welcome.
Thanks

Re: Can't get a hold of anyone at my reception location!!

• Stop calling. GO THERE IN PERSON and demand to see someone. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Thats my plan for Monday if I am not sick. (Woke up with the nastiest cold today) So you would be anxious too?
  • I would be freaking out. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Just wanted to make sure I am not over reacting. I have a tendency to do that- being a control freak and all.. Especially since I have to envision the ceremony in the same room as the reception... Like everyone has to sit at their tables for the ceremony- not what I wanted.
  • Our deposit is paid and for 2 weeks have not been able to get a hold of our "planner" to schedule our tasting and answer a few of our questions. I'm not a happy camper either right now. We are spending a ton of money and can't even get questions answered.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • KD+ARKD+AR member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    edited February 2014
    How far out are you? I need to set a time to do my tasting in the next month or so... the event management changed hands and I miss the woman I was working with. She understood a nervous bride and made me more comfortable with the situation. So now I am playing phone tag with this guy who is completely laid back.... doesn't understand why I am getting anxious. Finally got a hold of them, he told me I had 3 months to "calm Down".

EXCUSE ME! YOU ARE HOLDING $2000.00 OF MY MONEY- PLEASE RESPOND TO MY CORRESPONDENCE!!

ugh.
  • I would speak to whoever is above this planner and let them know how he is treating clients. I emailed my venue frantically about able sizes at 4 months out (not my finest moment) and no one belittled me about "calming down".
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary 
  • I am a control freak.. if I get to know someone that I can relinquish control. I haven't even met this guy and he is telling me to calm down. I was really upset. I understand no one answering the phone if I am calling during a time when they aren't open. but not responding to emails. No excuse... at all.
    I am 3 months out and still haven't seen the place... time is ticking!
  • I'd be showing up there in person when I knew this guy was in. There's no way I'd put up with that kind of nonsense. I'm angry for you. 
  • I showed up today and the event planner wasn't there.. The office manager came down from the office and said that he couldn't make it. Showed me the room and couldn't answer a single question.I was so mad I almost cried. I am so angry. The office manager said she would have him call me.... Really though, I have a job where I can't miss time. I took today off and have to work 10 hours shifts for the rest of the week. I am so mad, the most she could do is show us the room and a couple of the color swatches for napkins.

I don't know what I am going to do.
  • I think you'd better go find some other venue.  I hope you're not locked into a contract with this one.  They've been really unprofessional with you.

• I am locked in a contract, 3 months out and everywhere around me is 2 times the amount.
  • I'm furious for you!! You need a best friend to help you out! Maid of honor, mommy, fiance? To go there for you and get things done for you! And that includes being a bridezilla to the venue manager. 

My venue includes a wedding planner, so I don't know how much they charge, but, maybe finding someone like that is an option? A wedding planner could deal with these unprofessional people for you and set things up for you.

image   image   image

• I can't afford to switch venues or get a wedding planner. The event planner at the venue when we got there was fantastic! She was super accommodating and didn't make me feel bad for having so many questions... Now that we are finally able to see the place there are more questions and little details that weren't thought of before.
  • Take a deep breath.  I know it sucks and it's terribly unprofessional of them.  If your new planner doesn't call you back in 48 hours then I would start calling the facility manager.  Make a written list of your questions if you don't have one already.  Also make a detailed list of the correspondence you've had thusfar (or lack thereof) so you can be ready to explain to the manager exactly how and why this behavior is unacceptable.

Your venue is booked and you've at least seen it now.  If nothing else you can sit the guests at their reception tables and have your ceremony on the dance floor.  It will work out.

After your wedding be sure to leave reviews about the facility, the new event planner, and how they handle your complaints.  It will help future brides to know what they're getting into in regards to this country club.  You shouldn't have to go through this.
    Formerly known as flutterbride2b
  • Thanks for the encouragement. The event planner just called me now, he said he would call the event planner I was speaking with originally and get all the notes from her. There is a meeting now scheduled for this coming Sunday at 7:30.
    phew!
  • I am so glad to hear you finally got in touch with him. On that note, he sounds like a jerk. You are their client and you should be treated much much better than this. I hope when you do meet, that he is able to answer all of your questions. You have every right to be livid with this guy. Hopefully the kinks have been worked out and he is able to step up. I'm sure everything will turn out smoothly and your wedding will be wonderful/beautiful/just as you wanted it. Take a deep breath and feel free to vent to us whenever. That's what were here for! 
  • KD+AR said:
    Thanks for the encouragement. The event planner just called me now, he said he would call the event planner I was speaking with originally and get all the notes from her. There is a meeting now scheduled for this coming Sunday at 7:30.
    phew!
    Be sure to come back and let us know how it went!
  • I just got back from the appointment about 30 minutes ago. He was so apologetic, and was absolutely fantastic! He cut the tasting cost in half and not charging us for the meals of the photographer and the dj. The only problem I have now is listed as a new discussion in Reception Ideas- Title Venue Logistics Problem.
  • KD+AR said:
    I just got back from the appointment about 30 minutes ago. He was so apologetic, and was absolutely fantastic! He cut the tasting cost in half and not charging us for the meals of the photographer and the dj. The only problem I have now is listed as a new discussion in Reception Ideas- Title Venue Logistics Problem.
    Good!  I'm glad he turned a new leaf and is now looking to accommodate you and your needs :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards