Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Ivory shirts for men with bride's ivory dress

lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
edited February 2014 in Attire & Accessories Forum
Hey guys, so I've seen a few posts on here saying that ivory men's dress shirts will look dingy.

My sister is wearing an ivory dress, and they bought ivory shirts for the groomsmen (of which my H is one), her FI and my dad.

I sort of tried to tell my sister when she was talking about it with me that ivory shirts might look dingy (I didn't want it to come across wrong), and she just said that it would look better than white next to her dress. I also mentioned it briefly to my mom a few weeks ago (she's helping with wedding planning, and actually ordered the shirts) and she said pretty much the same thing.

Do you really think it will look dingy?  Oh well, I guess.  It's her wedding.

Re: Ivory shirts for men with bride's ivory dress

• Options
    Groomsmen with ivory shirts:
    IPB Image

They don't look bad to me, but since you already said something to her I would leave it be.
  • Options

White shirts do not look dingy next to an ivory dress. As a matter of fact, ivory dress shirts will often look more yellowish/tanish than an ivory wedding gown, and they will look signficantly different next to each other. They would be much better off in crisp white shirts. 

My dress was ivory. My partner's shirt was bright white.   You can't even tell the difference.

• Options
    AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited February 2014
    Since you already said something, I would leave it alone now.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    My son and his groomsmen are wearing ivory shirts because the woman at Mens wearhouse told them they would look better with the brides ivory dress.  I whole heartedly disagreed but no one asked me. I think white shirts would be better. Oh, they are wearing tan suits.  I really hope the shirts are lighter than I am picturing them.
  • Options
    My tux guy was of the opinion that since I was wearing an ivory dress, the men's shirts needed to be ivory as well.  He was of the opinion that bright white shirts would make my ivory dress look dingy.  Now that we have our pictures back, I feel I made the right decision by listening to him.  There are pictures where I'm next to a guest wearing a white shirt and my dress does look more yellowed/dingy than in pictures where I'm near someone wearing ivory.  In the family formals (where all the men were wearing ivory), you'd never know they weren't wearing white.  It's only when ivory and white are next to each other you see the difference.
  • Options
    My son and his groomsmen are wearing ivory shirts because the woman at Mens wearhouse told them they would look better with the brides ivory dress.  I whole heartedly disagreed but no one asked me. I think white shirts would be better. Oh, they are wearing tan suits.  I really hope the shirts are lighter than I am picturing them.
    Yup, they tried to tell me to get ivory too and I fell for it.  Then when I went to try on my wedding dress the consultant educated me on it.  We picked white shirts in the end (and I had an ivory dress) and I was happy.  

I'm not sure why the men's stores insist on ivory shirts.....perhaps they just hear ivory dress and don't know that there's a difference between and ivory wedding dress and an ivory dress shirt?  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards