Chit Chat
Options

Paris PPD

pinkcow13pinkcow13 member
First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
edited February 2014 in Chit Chat
So my friend told me how her BFF was getting married in Paris this spring. Neither she not her Fiancé are French,nor do they have any ties there. Her Fiancé has a couple of cousins who happen to live there, but that's about it. My friend was annoyed because obviously that would be an expensive trip to take, and she was (at the time) planning on getting married this October. But whatever, to each their own, nothing wrong with getting married in France if you want.

Fast forward a few months later and it is their birthday week. I went out for my friends bday and the BFF was there- they tend to have joint parties. Well I find out that the BFF got married earlier that day, they went to City Hall, and my friend was a witness. So I'm thinking awesome, the chick came to her senses! She told me that She was losing her health insurance, and their daughter is under hers, therefore they got married so that she could go under his insurance, or something along those lines.

So a few days later I'm talking to my friend and come to find out- they are still planning on having their "wedding" in Paris!!!! They have a wedding website that my friend showed me with the information. They were kind enough to put flight price info- at the time, a few weeks ago, round trip tickets from NYC to Paris were $1,500.00. They are also staying there for about 3 weeks and are planning to go to other parts of France, I think Spain, and then Florida before coming home. They have an itinerary in case guests want to join.

My friend doesn't think she can go and was asking me if I thought it would be wrong on her part not to attend. I told her that she already went to their wedding, was a part of it, and that it would be ridiculous to go to Paris for their "party."

Now, I know all the close friends know because they were all celebrating that night at the party. But this chicks relationship status still says "engaged" on FB, and the day before she got married she posted some crap about her fab life and family, how she said yes to the dress (this one was a different status actually, but whatever), and that she's so excited to be planning her "dream wedding to the man I adore next year."

Um NO. You had your wedding in November, yet you refuse to acknowledge it publicly. No pictures, statuses, nothing. And you're making your friends and family travel thousands of miles and pay thousands of dollars on a flight to watch you and your husband put on this elaborate performance. No, just NO.

Anniversary
imageimageimage

Re: Paris PPD

• Options
    pinkcow13pinkcow13 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2014
    @JCBride 2014 - Haha, I LOVE Paris too and I really want to go out there - it is on my vacation list, but I have to work on FI. He has like no interest in Paris. He's all " I don't want to go to boring museums, I want a beach!" Le Sigh. 

But exactly -  I am NOT going to go to Paris to watch a fake fucking wedding. You're freaking married, and you're seriously asking pple to spend thousands of dollars on this shit show? No thanks!! I wonder how the guests that show up that DON'T know the are already married will feel once they found out they've been duped like that.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Options
    @hisgirlfriday13 - I had no idea that France requires a 90 day residency.This makes me think that they always knew it was going to be a PPD and never had intentions on actually marrying in Paris. Wow, it just gets classier.

That story is ridiculous. I would be LIVID if I flew out anywhere for a fake destination wedding. And to spend $4,500.00 on nonsense like a fake wedding? Seriously, that's horrible. All so that Bride could have her "dream wedding." And it's so shitty that they lied to everyone like that. She probably lost a few friends, herself.

Definitely true - your friends will care about your PPD, especially when they spend thousands of dollars, and use valuable vacation time to fly out to yours.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Options
    Also -- even if they had wanted to, they couldn't get married in Paris. France requires a 90-day residency period for marriage licence applicants. 

But yes, I agree that a PPD is rude, as always.

My cousin and her DH spent $4500 to fly to Turks and Caicos for the wedding of one of his best friends. She was pregnant, so they REALLY had better things to be spending that kind of money on.

About a month after they got back, their friends invited them to a "reception" for their wedding. They were like, 'Well, OK, whatevs.' They went -- found out the friends had gotten married by a JOP THAT DAY and this party was to celebrate their "marriage."

My cousin and her husband left the party, furious. The groom reached out to him several times and was like, "Dude, what's wrong?" Cousin's husband said, "You lied to me; clearly our friendship means nothing to you." Groom hemmed and hawed and finally threw Bride under the bus, saying SHE wouldn't let him tell everyone it was fake because she wanted her "dream wedding" and nothing was going to ruin that.

Cousin's husband no longer speaks to his friend, other friends found out and have dropped this couple, and the couple are now having trouble because Groom is pissed that Bride's actions cost them so many friends. 

Cautionary tale --- you think your friends won't care about your PPD, but they will.
    A pre-wedding PPD?  Wow.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    Also -- even if they had wanted to, they couldn't get married in Paris. France requires a 90-day residency period for marriage licence applicants. 

My cousin and her DH spent $4500 to fly to Turks and Caicos for the wedding of one of his best friends. She was pregnant, so they REALLY had better things to be spending that kind of money on.

About a month after they got back, their friends invited them to a "reception" for their wedding. They were like, 'Well, OK, whatevs.' They went -- found out the friends had gotten married by a JOP THAT DAY and this party was to celebrate their "marriage."

My cousin and her husband left the party, furious. The groom reached out to him several times and was like, "Dude, what's wrong?" Cousin's husband said, "You lied to me; clearly our friendship means nothing to you." Groom hemmed and hawed and finally threw Bride under the bus, saying SHE wouldn't let him tell everyone it was fake because she wanted her "dream wedding" and nothing was going to ruin that.

Cousin's husband no longer speaks to his friend, other friends found out and have dropped this couple, and the couple are now having trouble because Groom is pissed that Bride's actions cost them so many friends. 

Cautionary tale --- you think your friends won't care about your PPD, but they will.
    A pre-wedding PPD?  Wow.
    Because they'd already booked their tickets and had passports in her maiden name, apparently. 

But I didn't legally change my name for like, three weeks, after we got married, just because I had to wait for the paperwork and whatever, so it's not like they couldn't have done it the other way, but it's still rude.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    That's really freaking rude and ridiculous.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Options

A pre-wedding PPD?  Wow.
    Because they'd already booked their tickets and had passports in her maiden name, apparently. 

But I didn't legally change my name for like, three weeks, after we got married, just because I had to wait for the paperwork and whatever, so it's not like they couldn't have done it the other way, but it's still rude.
    wow.  Interesting story.   The passport thing makes zero sense though.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    @jellys2dot0 - I was thinking the exact same thing about Kim and Kanye.  Ha.

I sent in for my new passport about a month after the wedding (Oct) because it was still slow season on the boat and I didn't need it.  If I missed that window I would have had to wait until the following Sept because I used my passport a few times a week.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Jells2dot0lyndausvi - LMAO - I have not even thought about Kim and Kanye. So they are essentially having a televised PPD, wonderful. I highly doubt the French want them there for 90 days lol.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Options
    I think  Kayne owns a place in Paris (or somewhere else in France).  I'm not sure how that might plays out with their plans.

• Options
    lyndausvi said:
    I think  Kayne owns a place in Paris (or somewhere else in France).  I'm not sure how that might plays out with their plans.
    I did think of that, but I also remembered that when they usually go there, they stay in a hotel. Yep, my life is sad because I know that.

• Options
    I don't understand why they wouldn't just use Paris and all as their honeymoon. Why make everyone trek out there for their facade? That sounds incredibly and elaborately stupid.

• Options
    lyndausvi said:
    I did think of that, but I also remembered that when they usually go there, they stay in a hotel. Yep, my life is sad because I know that.
    Well, I just did a quick Google search, and according to what I read, the couple needs to live in France for at least 40 consecutive days prior to the wedding, and they have to provide proof in the form of some sort of utility bill. Not sure how that works if someone owns property there since they will always continue to receive bills.

PolarBearFitz - I know right? In fact, I brought that up. I mean since they are already married, why not turn this into the honeymoon? But no, she has to have her Dream Wedding, dammit! And it just has to be in Paris, and everyone has to basically pay thousands of dollars to watch this elaborate thing unfold. Apparently a bunch of their friends are supposedly going.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Options
    I don't understand why they wouldn't just use Paris and all as their honeymoon. Why make everyone trek out there for their facade? That sounds incredibly and elaborately stupid.

Agreed! The planned trip would be a lovely honeymoon!

• Options

Agreed! The planned trip would be a lovely honeymoon!
    @pinkcow13 and @jells2dot0 -  Exactly. I wouldn't be going if it were my friend. Why would I waste a trip to Paris by sitting through a fake wedding? No thanks.

• Options
    The PPD I went to in Austria was their Catholic wedding. Austria does not recognize religious ceremonies as legal, so you have to have 2 anyway.  I don't think it's considered a convalidation over there though since everyone has to do it that way.  Anyway, the bride is from Austria so it made prefect since for them to have the wedding/PPD over there.   We happily went to that wedding with since there was full discloser.

However, I doubt very much I would fly out to Paris to witness a couple repeating their vows at some random place in Paris just because they like Paris.    Plus I've been there 3 times already, DH once.   No real incentive for us to go since we have been before.  There are other places I would like to travel to before returning to Paris again.

• Options
    lyndausvi said:
    The PPD I went to in Austria was their Catholic wedding. Austria does not recognize religious ceremonies as legal, so you have to have 2 anyway.  I don't think it's considered a convalidation over there though since everyone has to do it that way.  Anyway, the bride is from Austria so it made prefect since for them to have the wedding/PPD over there.   We happily went to that wedding with since there was full discloser.

However, I doubt very much I would fly out to Paris to witness a couple repeating their vows at some random place in Paris just because they like Paris.    Plus I've been there 3 times already, DH once.   No real incentive for us to go since we have been before.  There are other places I would like to travel to before returning to Paris again.
    I have never been to Paris so I would be pretty annoyed that I flew out there to witness a fake wedding. If I knew beforehand, I definitely would not go. I would plan my Paris trip at a different time, especially since I really want to go to Paris. I'm curious to see how this PPD turns out to be.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Options
    I think the bride threw that excuse up in a half-hearted attempt to make people not hate her, because it makes NO sense. Hell, my passport is still in my maiden name, almost four months after my marriage. (I am lazy and cheap and I'm not changing that until I have to).

Cousin said her DH is so hurt, though. He was Groom's BM at the fake ceremony in T&C.

Isn't Kim still married? Wouldn't they be having a PPD no matter what? Or did her divorce come through?
    Anniversary

• Options
    I think the bride threw that excuse up in a half-hearted attempt to make people not hate her, because it makes NO sense. Hell, my passport is still in my maiden name, almost four months after my marriage. (I am lazy and cheap and I'm not changing that until I have to). Cousin said her DH is so hurt, though. He was Groom's BM at the fake ceremony in T&C. Isn't Kim still married? Wouldn't they be having a PPD no matter what? Or did her divorce come through?
    No, they are divorced. She pushed everything through so that the father of the baby would not be listed as Kris. Apparently, it's automatic in CA to list the spouse as the father when a child is born.

• Options
    I think the bride threw that excuse up in a half-hearted attempt to make people not hate her, because it makes NO sense. Hell, my passport is still in my maiden name, almost four months after my marriage. (I am lazy and cheap and I'm not changing that until I have to). Cousin said her DH is so hurt, though. He was Groom's BM at the fake ceremony in T&C. Isn't Kim still married? Wouldn't they be having a PPD no matter what? Or did her divorce come through?
    My passport expires the day after we return from our honeymoon, so I have no choice but to renew it under my maiden name ahead of time -- joy.

I don't think I could stand another 5 years with my maiden name while married, and all of my ID has to match, sooo... I get to suck up the cost of 2 renewals in one year, plus whatever it's going to cost to change over all of my ID and process the legal name change.

• Options
    My passport expires the day after we return from our honeymoon, so I have no choice but to renew it under my maiden name ahead of time -- joy.

I don't think I could stand another 5 years with my maiden name while married, and all of my ID has to match, sooo... I get to suck up the cost of 2 renewals in one year, plus whatever it's going to cost to change over all of my ID and process the legal name change.
    @pumpkinsandturkeys If you renew your passport under your maiden and if you get married and change your name within a year, you don't have to pay to change your name on your passport. I just read that yesterday.

Name Changes

If your name has legally changed through marriage, divorce, or a court ordered change of name, you will need to apply for a new passport. The process and cost depend on how long it has been since your passport was issued.

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/services/correction.html

If less than one year has passed since your passport was issued:

• You will not have to pay any passport or processing fees, unless you request Expedited Service.
    • Submit Form DS-5504 by mail with your current passport, your name change document, and a color passport photo. You may:
      • Use our online guide to fill out and print Form DS-5504; or
      • Print Form DS-5504 and complete by hand.

Wedding Black & White, Sepia
  • Options
    debmonn said:

@pumpkinsandturkeys If you renew your passport under your maiden and if you get married and change your name within a year, you don't have to pay to change your name on your passport. I just read that yesterday.

Name Changes

If your name has legally changed through marriage, divorce, or a court ordered change of name, you will need to apply for a new passport. The process and cost depend on how long it has been since your passport was issued.

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/services/correction.html

If less than one year has passed since your passport was issued:

• You will not have to pay any passport or processing fees, unless you request Expedited Service.
    • Submit Form DS-5504 by mail with your current passport, your name change document, and a color passport photo. You may:
      • Use our online guide to fill out and print Form DS-5504; or
      • Print Form DS-5504 and complete by hand.
    Sadly, I'm in Canada, so the above does not apply.
    I am going to check with Passport Canada and see what my options are, though, because they JUST hiked our renewal fees, too.

• Options
    No, they are divorced. She pushed everything through so that the father of the baby would not be listed as Kris. Apparently, it's automatic in CA to list the spouse as the father when a child is born.
    Also true in PA, I happen to know. The assumption is the child is the product of the marriage unless proven otherwise. 

@pumpkinsandturkeys -- right now, my SS card has my real, legal name on it; my DL is half-right (I hate DMV);my passport is (a) expired and (b) in my maiden name; my voter ID is in my maiden name; and my car insurance is in my maiden name. My goal is to get this all sorted out by the end of the month.
    Anniversary

• Options
    @pumpkinsandturkeys -- right now, my SS card has my real, legal name on it; my DL is half-right (I hate DMV);my passport is (a) expired and (b) in my maiden name; my voter ID is in my maiden name; and my car insurance is in my maiden name. My goal is to get this all sorted out by the end of the month.
    @HisGirlFriday13 -- Ugh, what a pain. Been there, done that. I legally changed my surname at 12 to my (step)dad's last name, and it was the biggest PITA. Changing Social Insurance, Provincial Health Card, reissuing my birth certificate... Yuck.

I still have issues at times with this. When I was 18, I had to confirm my identity to claim my government student loan. I brought my Change of Name certificate and all of my other forms of ID, and sat across from some 80-year-old woman who kept asking me why I changed my name. Why? Why does it matter? I tried telling her it was personal, and she kept pushing, and then asked if I got married. Ha -- no. Definitely did not get married at 18. She didn't believe me, and even told one of the other elderly loan officers that I was 18 and married and that's why I changed my name. I wanted to strangle her.

• Options
    @pumpkinsandturkeys -- OMG I would have wanted to, too!

Also, as much more obnoxious teenager than I am adult, I would have demanded to see her manager.
    Anniversary

• Options
    @pumpkinsandturkeys -- OMG I would have wanted to, too!

Also, as much more obnoxious teenager than I am adult, I would have demanded to see her manager.
    Sadly, there was no manager. Just a room full of really old government officials who set up shop in an empty classroom at our university for one week each year. And if she didn't approve it, I would've gone without a loan for the year.

There is a number you can call for them if you have issues, but they're notoriously difficult to deal with. You wouldn't believe the number of horror stories that come from this stupid loan program.

• Options
    This topic is interesting.

A bartender I know eloped in Paris with her now-husband. They have a lovely story of how they were chased out of the museum (that they were saying their vows in) by a security guard.

I'm wondering how that worked out for her (it was a couple of years ago), and as it was just her, H, and BiL I doubt it was a planned PPD. Maybe they went to JoP in US? But then it seems unlike her to go through the hassle of doing it over again. Hrm.
  • Options
    So, I'm catching up on Teen Mom 2 because one of the other threads made me want to get back into shaking my head at the drama, and Leah and her fiancé just discussed getting married at a courthouse so they can get a mortgage, and then have their "ceremony and real wedding" in June.

Stop with the freaking PPDs, people!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards