New Jersey
Options

CALLING ALL FILIPINA BRIDES

Hello, My name is Cassie and I am a Filipina bride getting married on March 29.  I am incorporating some Filipino traditions into my wedding, but not a lot since my fiance is German/Scottish.  I wanted to post to ask if a few things weren't unheard of for me to do

For example, both my fiance and I are iffy on the money dance idea.  I do not mean this in a disrespectful way, as I do want to represent my Filipino culture somehow.  But would perhaps hiring Tinikling dancers be an alternative to doing the wedding dance?  

Also, we are incorporating the cord and veil during the ceremony.  Anyone have any tips on how to cue the REMOVAL of the cord and veil?  Like, what happens when it is placed, is it just placed then we wait a minute then take it off?  That seems odd to me.  Ideas would be great!

Any other tips you can give me to respect my Filipina culture would be great!

Thanks!
Cassie  

Re: CALLING ALL FILIPINA BRIDES

• Options
    Hello, My name is Cassie and I am a Filipina bride getting married on March 29.  I am incorporating some Filipino traditions into my wedding, but not a lot since my fiance is German/Scottish.  I wanted to post to ask if a few things weren't unheard of for me to do

For example, both my fiance and I are iffy on the money dance idea.  I do not mean this in a disrespectful way, as I do want to represent my Filipino culture somehow.  But would perhaps hiring Tinikling dancers be an alternative to doing the wedding dance?  

Also, we are incorporating the cord and veil during the ceremony.  Anyone have any tips on how to cue the REMOVAL of the cord and veil?  Like, what happens when it is placed, is it just placed then we wait a minute then take it off?  That seems odd to me.  Ideas would be great!

Thanks!
    Cassie  
    Money dances are rude.  Skip it.  You don't even need to replace it.
  • Options
    If you feel uncomfortable with the money dance, then don't do it.  My fiance and I are both Filipino and we're not sure if want to do it either.  We are only considering it because it may give us the chance to dance one-on-one with all of our guests.  You don't have to replace the money dance either... maybe just play a few line dancing songs ;)

regarding the removal of the cord & veil, usually the priest/officiant asks the respective sponsors to remove them after the couple has been blessed.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    sheilax3 said:
    If you feel uncomfortable with the money dance, then don't do it.  My fiance and I are both Filipino and we're not sure if want to do it either.  We are only considering it because it may give us the chance to dance one-on-one with all of our guests.  You don't have to replace the money dance either... maybe just play a few line dancing songs ;)

regarding the removal of the cord & veil, usually the priest/officiant asks the respective sponsors to remove them after the couple has been blessed.
    Can you just call it a "well wishes" dance and not have money involved?
  • Options
    JxSWeddingJxSWedding member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2014
    JoanE2012 said: jademestiza said: Hello, My name is Cassie and I am a Filipina bride getting married on March 29.  I am incorporating some Filipino traditions into my wedding, but not a lot since my fiance is German/Scottish.  I wanted to post to ask if a few things weren't unheard of for me to do
    Thanks!
    Cassie   Money dances are rude.  Skip it.  You don't even need to replace it.

Geez, JoanE you don't need to sugar coat it. Tell her how you really feel. 

Anyways, although I disagree with JoanE's rude delivery, I do agree with her suggestion. I would skip the money dance if especially half of your wedding guests aren't Filipino. I'm not German so I'm know sure what German wedding customs are.  If the money dance is not customary in their culture, they might misunderstand the meaning behind the dance and think it's just the bride and groom begging for more money. I would think of another way to incorporate the Filipino culture into your wedding. Maybe have people wear barong tagalog? If you considering replacing the money dance with another filipino dance, I'd personally do the candle dance instead of the tinikling. It's just prettier in my opinion.  
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Here's a short little explanation of the money dance in Filipino culture before people start screaming at the original poster for even suggesting a money dance. 
    • Philippines
      The wedding money dance, or Saya ng Pera, is almost a requirement at Filipino weddings. To kick off the boisterous peso-pinning party game, which can last for up to three hours in some small villages, a woven lei of money is usually placed around the couple's neck. Although most guests prefer to pin the money to the newlywed couple's garments, it is also common for them to place rolled-up bills or an envelope of cash in the bride's mouth to symbolize good fortune. Most couples opt to play traditional Filipino folk music or popular love songs.

During the bitor, the newlyweds are showered with money and guests toss bills and coins into a plate in exchange for wine that is served by the bride and groom. The change is gathered into a handkerchief then passed to the groom, who ceremoniously hands it over to his bride.
  • Options
    JoanE2012 said:

Thanks!
    Cassie  
    Money dances are rude.  Skip it.  You don't even need to replace it.

Geez, JoanE you don't need to sugar coat it. Tell her how you really feel. 

Anyways, although I disagree with JoanE's rude delivery, I do agree with her suggestion. I would skip the money dance if especially half of your wedding guests aren't Filipino. I'm not German so I'm know sure what German wedding customs are.  If the money dance is not customary in their culture, they might misunderstand the meaning behind the dance and think it's just the bride and groom begging for more money. I would think of another way to incorporate the Filipino culture into your wedding. Maybe have people wear barong tagalog? If you considering replacing the money dance with another filipino dance, I'd personally do the candle dance instead of the tinikling. It's just prettier in my opinion.  
    Oh FFS.   Saying that something is rude and to skip it is not rude delivery. 
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    JoanE2012 It's rude because you probably read up to "money dance" and told her shut down the whole idea without understanding WHY she wants a money dance.  She's asking for advice on how to include Filipino traditions in her wedding and if tinikling is a good replacement for the money dance . Read things all the way through before you start brushing people's traditions off as rude and unnecessary.  If you don't have constructive input on Filipino traditions then don't reply to this post.

jademestiza here's a link to the order of events relating to the coin, cord and veil.  The cord and veil goes on during the offertory and are removed after the nuptial blessing.  I'm sure the priest will ask for the sponsors to come up to put on/remove the cord and veil. No need to stress over this. They'll go over this during the rehearsal. 
  • Options
    JoanE2012 It's rude because you probably read up to "money dance" and told her shut down the whole idea without understanding WHY she wants a money dance.  She's asking for advice on how to include Filipino traditions in her wedding and if tinikling is a good replacement for the money dance . Read things all the way through before you start brushing people's traditions off as rude and unnecessary.  If you don't have constructive input on Filipino traditions then don't reply to this post.

jademestiza here's a link to the order of events relating to the coin, cord and veil.  The cord and veil goes on during the offertory and are removed after the nuptial blessing.  I'm sure the priest will ask for the sponsors to come up to put on/remove the cord and veil. No need to stress over this. They'll go over this during the rehearsal. 
    It's a public message board...you can't dictate how people post.  I will continue to post as I please.  If you don't like it, there's always the ignore button.  Have a splendid day!  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards