Chit Chat

How many pets do you have?

Okay, so I (well, SO and I) have five pets; a 14 year old corn snake named Cara, a baby (she's only four months old; so cute!) corn snake named Ali, two three year old leopard geckos named Flavius and Lividus, and a one year old Chili Rose Tarantula named Elsa. We were thinking about getting a kitten, by Cara would probably eat it (she roams the house freely when she's not being fed) so we're thinking about getting a rescue cat (fully grown) but apparently that's too many pets.

What do you guys think, is six just too many pets? How many pets have you got?
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: How many pets do you have?

• Oh my goodness! I would never be able to come into your home, I am very scared of snakes and spiders. We have two cats, both girls. One is 2, she's a calico, the other is 1 1/2, she's a tabby. Where we live we are only allowed 2 pets which is fine with me! I am all for you getting a grown cat if you're sure Cara won't eat it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I just have one small dog named Thobias! He is a 6 year old Lhasa Apso, but he has slowly become more my father's dog than mine so after the wedding he will stay dad's lap dog.

My FI's parents have 4 Australian Shepherds, 4 (soon to be 5) horses, 3 birds (they all talk), and an array of chickens! On a 2 acre piece of land considered large by Vegas standards! And yes, I think it is too many pets haha I don't mind the horses because I ride myself, but 4 dogs and birds in the house is a lot to handle, although the dogs are very good dogs, just a lot of large shedding animals.

I'm holding out for 2 corgi pups to start our "family" in Summer 2015 after our wedding :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have 3 cats (2 of those are just adopted kittens) and a black lab.
  • We currently have 1: a mini schnauzer, he's my pal :)

As evidenced by my earlier post, we may or may not be adding another smaller pet for DS :)

• I have one dog.  A boxer named Moose.  I really want another dog, but it would probably stress Moose out- so that's not going to happen while we have him, because that wouldn't be fair to him.  I would love to have a cat too, so I'm trying to sell FI on that idea.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have 1 dog and he is a Jack Russell Terrier mix. His name is Snoopy and he is like 8 years old. He is such an a-hole sometimes but my daughter loves him so darn much. :)
  • FiancBFiancB member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2014
    I have two ferrets and a horse. I desperately want a dog and cat but I'm not supposed to have animals in my apartment. The ferrets are easy to hide and sleep most of the day other than the hour or two they get out and play like crazy, so they've been nice to have while we're pretty busy. 

FI had a cockatiel but once I moved in she decided that she hated me. Birds can be really territorial. She was okay with me when we were dating but when I moved in she started screaming her head off, even covered up, and fucking with me in general. She was making us miserable and clearly pretty miserable herself so his parents took her back. 

In the past my family has had up to 3 dogs, up to 2 cats, up to 4 horses, as well as guinea pigs/rabbits/hamsters/sheep/goats at various times. I don't really think there's such a thing as too many as long as you don't take more than you can handle. I used to show dogs so I know lots of people that have 6+dogs. 
  • 4 kitties, all gray and white- Pepper (manx), Gravy,Tater (Maine Coon), and Biscuit .

• BF and I each have a cat. His cat is 7 years old and my Ellie-belle is 3.
  • @Jells2dot0 I absolutely love their names!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We had to put my dog down in the fall :(

I'm dying to get a Great Dane, but we need to make it through the wedding first.

• We have a dog and a cat.  The cat, Bob, has been with me since I was 12 (I'm 26 now) and she is my best little friend in the world. 

I know how you feel; its really weird Cara is a bloody snake and she is like my best friend. I got her for my thirteenth birthday when she was only the length of my hand and now she's longer than I am tall.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Just one kitty, Java. FI chose his name because I love coffee, but it's extra appropriate because he's super hyper and always seem caffeinated. 
    But he loves to cuddle and is my little snuggle bug. 

• 4 cats we each had two coming into the relationship my cats are bailey and cosmo his are Boo and Darling.

Anniversary

• tcnoble said:
    @Jells2dot0 I absolutely love their names!!
    Thanks! It was fate because I had Pepper and my DH had Gravy before we met :)

• We have 2 kitties - Pesto and Kapuchee. They will be 3 in May and are extremely bratty. 

thelastdreamer - your kitty looks just like my kitty, Pesto! Sooo adorable!
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• We just have one dog. A 2.5 year old yellow lab named Gracie. I know that H would love another dog but we don't have much of a backyard and I think that Gracie would be incredibly jealous.

• We have 2 dogs; Gus the bulldog & Olive the 3-legged monster...

I also brought 2 cats into the family, but FI is verrrrry allergic so they have claimed the basement (finished, don't worry) as their domain.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We have 3 dogs. A 8 year old black lab named Bailey, a 4 year old border collie named Bella and a 3 year old terrier mix named Buddy. Our house is very busy!
  • I would be sort of concerned having a cat and a large, free-roaming snake: if the snake would eat a kitten, would the snake also attempt to eat a full-grown cat?  The number of pets depends more on how much space and energy you have.

We have two cats, Jack and Stella.  We're thinking about also getting a dog, but we both would be working long days and a dog-walker would be extremely expensive around here.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• We have two cats, brothers, who are almost 5.  They're DH's first pets and we've had them since they were about 3 months old.  They totally rule the roost too, especially when it comes to pillows, blankets and potential places to nap.

Anniversary

• We have 3. My cat is about 8, I got her when I was in high school. She is blind in one eye and very small, about 6 lbs, but she is the boss of all the other animals. Then we have Loki, a 3.5 year old bengal cat, and he is H's baby. We got him when we moved in together, and those two just bonded. It's cute. And last but not least Liam, a 1.5 yr old pit bull/boxer mix. He is a great dog, and the biggest baby. He doesn't really understand how big he is (85 lbs) and tries to sit on our laps and wants to be held. Lol
  • The guy in my siggy is our only one.    I wouldn't mind getting another Bulldog in the mean time we will just spoil him.   I'm not really interested in any other pets than dogs.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Okay, so I (well, SO and I) have five pets; a 14 year old corn snake named Cara, a baby (she's only four months old; so cute!) corn snake named Ali, two three year old leopard geckos named Flavius and Lividus, and a one year old Chili Rose Tarantula named Elsa. We were thinking about getting a kitten, by Cara would probably eat it (she roams the house freely when she's not being fed) so we're thinking about getting a rescue cat (fully grown) but apparently that's too many pets.

What do you guys think, is six just too many pets? How many pets have you got?
    I wanna come cuddle all the reptiles! We have a boa that I got FI's son for Christmas, a five year old dog who is perpetually a puppy and a one and a half year old calico who is best friends with the puppy. 
  • lyndausvi said:
    The guy in my siggy is our only one.    I wouldn't mind getting another Bulldog in the mean time we will just spoil him.   I'm not really interested in any other pets than dogs.
    We'll definitely always have a bulldog. Special little dogs. Eerily human-like, and have THEE best personalities ever. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I brought a turtle named Merlin into our relationship but he died last year.  H and I got a miniature schnauzer after we moved in together (H knows his foster father) who is about 3 years old now and his name is Chauncey.  Last summer we brought another rescue home.  He's a pit bull/collie mix and about 2 years old now.  His name is Buddy, but we call him Moose because that's how he acts.

• While the snake may eat a kitten, an adult cat may also eat or try to eat your snake, OP. We had a neighbor cat we fed that would leave "presents" of dead lizards and snakes on out doorstep. :-/
  • How many pets you can/should have really does depend on how much space and energy you have, and also on your municipal by-laws. When I rescued my cat, she was originally supposed to go to another couple, but the husband found out that in their area, a property of the size they had was limited to two animals. So you should check into that if you haven't already.

Anyway, FI and I have two cats. Milla, who is a domestic short hair with some African grey wildcat thrown in, and Peanut, who is just special. We're living with the FILs, who have a Maine coon(-ish) cat called Terabyte, and two border collies called Jessie and Callie. So we have 5 in total at the moment, and FMIL wants to get a puppy because Jessie's old and can't keep up with Callie's needs.
    imageDaisypath Friendship tickers
  • Niccirf said:
    lyndausvi said:
    The guy in my siggy is our only one.    I wouldn't mind getting another Bulldog in the mean time we will just spoil him.   I'm not really interested in any other pets than dogs.
    We'll definitely always have a bulldog. Special little dogs. Eerily human-like, and have THEE best personalities ever. 
    They really do have the best personalities and right eerily human-like.   I swear he knows we are moving again.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I have...
    1 bunny
    2 dogs 
    1 hamster
    1 fish

Used to have a turtle, but a raccoon got to his tank :( 
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
    Funny Awkward animated GIF
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards