June 2014 Weddings

Just a little rant...

And the stupidity continues...

My FMIL called FI last night and said she found her dress for the wedding. Of course she picked an all ivory colored dress. FI told her that wasn't appropriate and she said she doesn't see why it would be rude. I don't care that much because I know people will know that I am the bride and she'll come across looking silly but I can't help but shake my head.

I just wish she'd grow up already. Everyone else had been supportive and really happy for us but all she does is find the negatives in everything. There's a reason we don't include her in anything wedding related (she's not paying anything anyways). Just...ugh!!!

Re: Just a little rant...

• kmj500 said:

And the stupidity continues...

My FMIL called FI last night and said she found her dress for the wedding. Of course she picked an all ivory colored dress. FI told her that wasn't appropriate and she said she doesn't see why it would be rude. I don't care that much because I know people will know that I am the bride and she'll come across looking silly but I can't help but shake my head.

I just wish she'd grow up already. Everyone else had been supportive and really happy for us but all she does is find the negatives in everything. There's a reason we don't include her in anything wedding related (she's not paying anything anyways). Just...ugh!!!

@kmj500

I am sorry that your FMIL is acting like a child. Any chance she was fibbing about the dress (at least the color) just to try and get a reaction? If she isn't / wasn't, you're right that she will come off looking like the silly one.
  • I feel your pain! While we were all at the store picking out the bridesmaids dresses, my FMIL decided to try a dress on, which she bought. My bridesmaids are wearing eggplant dresses with silver shoes and she bought a dark purple dress and is wearing silver shoes. I'm trying not to let it bother me because I know she can wear whatever she wants but I do find it a bit weird because it's not like she wasn't there and didn't see the dresses we picked out for the girls! I'm sorry to hear that she is wearing ivory, I definitely think that is overstepping boundaries.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My FMIL thought at first that she is supposed to match my mom too! If that was a tradition, I'd never heard of it before she brought it up.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I know she's just trying to get a reaction out of me but I've gotten pretty good at bean dipping her, which I know drives her up the wall even more lol.

It's not a surprise she's overstepping her boundaries. FI has tried to set them with her numerous times but she just ignores him and acts like she did nothing wrong when FI calls her on it. She's the type of person you could beat over the head with "our finances/careers/general way we live our lives is none of your business" and the next thing she'd say is, "you really don't have the money to buy _____". It's incredibly annoying that she makes all these assumptions about our lives up in her head based on zero information and then tries to tell us that she knows more about our lives than we do.

Oh well, it was nice to rant and it makes it a little easier knowing that people will be giving her side eye :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards