Not Engaged Yet

For the horse girls

I may have finally found a new free lease. I'm meeting with a woman tomorrow who has two Quarter horses in her backyard, one well broke and one more green, that need riding. The well broke mare goes English and Western and the green one can be finished whichever way. I need to pick up some new jeans tomorrow, but I've got my boots in my car. I've also got my own helmet.

What are some good questions I should ask her? I know how to look for healthy horses and good conditions, but what else? Trying to brainstorm everything.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: For the horse girls

• I am SO JEALOUS. I want to do ALL THE RIDING.

I would ask what she expects from you in regards to the green horse - does she just want you to give it some exercise, or does she want you to train it? 

Also, I demand pictures!! :)

*******************************************************************************************

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Haha I'm going to be sure FI takes photos since he's coming with me. I can't believe I finally found something that would be free. 

Another woman contacted me who knows of a mare that needs a quiet rider and maybe some help with board. She gave me a picture though of the horse. She's going to talk to the owner and it'll end up being seeing what horses I connect with. Also Western.

• AWWWW so pretty!! I love love love appaloosas. I learned to ride on a totally bombproof little Arabian mare, but then I spent most of my riding life on a gorgeous appaloosa - we think she was some sort of draft/warmblood cross, she was big, and just the sweetest baby. I did everything with her - jumping, dressage, trail rides, the whole shebang. I miss all my horses now :(

*******************************************************************************************

• @BriSox81, my best friend is saving up to get her own horse at the moment. I'm so jealous!

I learned to ride on Arabians too! All kinds of them though, very stubborn loyal horses.

I haven't ridden many Quarter horses but I love their butts.

• I'm jealous of your friend too! haha!

We had just a mish mosh of everything - The Arabian mare that I learned on; a half-Arab/half-Saddlebred pinto mare; a full Saddlebred gelding (he was my big puppy dog); the Appaloosa; a Quarter Horse mare; another little Arab mare who was just the sweetest little thing - she colicked & had to be put down, it was the saddest thing; a Thoroughbred/Arab mare who was an amazing little dressage horse; and later on they got a Trakhaner gelding who was SO AMAZING to ride. He was a Grand Prix dressage horse, and I learned SO much just from getting on him. 

Now I am dying to find a stable here to ride.

• I'm lucky where I am is a ton of horse country. A lot of my coverage zone for work is rural.

• Same here - it's just that most of the stables I've found only offer lessons. I don't need a lesson, I just want to RIDE. I need to do more research, clearly. 

• Thats so awesome! I'm jealous! Its been years since I've really done any good riding.

I loved riding Quarter Horses though - all the ones I helped with had very smooth gaits. Although that isn't always the case. I learned english and only have limited experience with western - but I miss it so much. Will get back into it eventually . . . . when I have time and money. Just like everything else in my life haha.

Enjoy the time and please post some pictures when you get them!!! 
                                    Daisypath Wedding tickers

• @BriSox81, do you have time to offer barn chores for riding time? A lot of barns will do that.

• Kait said:
    @BriSox81, do you have time to offer barn chores for riding time? A lot of barns will do that.
    I looked into it a while back at a barn, but with my work schedule, I never got over to visit. There are more stables closer to where I live now as opposed to where I used to live (outside the city vs. right in the city), so I'll have to check back! 

• Like Bri said: What is she expecting from you. What does her insurance cover? Are you allowed to take them off the property? Supervised or not? 
    It's hard to think of questions. I've only ever ridden babies and greenies for my trainer, who I've been with for 20+ years now. I know what she expects from me lol
    "Stuart was scared, but he loved Margalo, Mommy. And there is nothing bigger than love." -The Bean
     "His farts smell like Satan's asshole mixed with a skunk's vagina. But it's okay, because I love him." -CSousa

• Also, does your state have an 'inherent risk' policy like VA? Basically says you understand that any activity involving horses includes the inherent risk of damage to property or self and that you have no rights whatsoever should you be hurt. We do, and it's fantastic for the trainers and owners to protect themselves from these fly by night 'cowboys'.

"Stuart was scared, but he loved Margalo, Mommy. And there is nothing bigger than love." -The Bean
     "His farts smell like Satan's asshole mixed with a skunk's vagina. But it's okay, because I love him." -CSousa

• @beanbot2002, we do have the inherent risk policy in CT. Actually, she's a great horse. I'm riding the well broke chestnut mare. Got to ride her yesterday walk/trot because it was snowy and couldn't canter. She's a 15 yr old about 15.2ish hands high. Her name is Cassie.

• However, I spoke with the woman yesterday and she wants $25 a ride or $100 a month to ride Cassie. But if I try Annie, who is the green palomino mare, I could ride for free. I'm going to try her out on Sunday. She goes walk/trot, doesn't bolt or buck, just doesn't know much.

• Is she just wanting someone to put miles on Annie, or is she expecting you to finish her? Personally, and this is with 20+ years of training and riding experience, I don't work with greenies unless I have my trainer on the ground. If you've been out of riding for a while, I'd be hesitant to jump right into a greenie.

• @beanbot2002, really just put miles on her. I think she's been trying to find a home for her and just wanted someone to at least have her somewhat in shape before then.

• Gotcha!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards