Wedding Party
Options

Help! Bridesmaids gifts.

I am planning on taking (and paying) all my girls to an upscale salon to get their hair and make-up done as well as purchasing matching shirts for all of us to wear while getting ready the day of the wedding. My aunt is making handmade jewelry for each of the to wear as well. Am I still expected to purchase them an additional gift or is all that I am already providing enough?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Help! Bridesmaids gifts.

• Options
    Anything related to the wedding to be used or worn the day-of is not considered a gift, it is a uniform. You should tailor the gifts to the individuals like you would shop for their birthday or Christmas. Gift certificates are great if there are stores or restaurants they enjoy, or maybe a bottle of wine/tequila if that is something they enjoy. It is nice for you to provide all of these extras, but they are not necessary, and should not constitute your gift to thank them for being part of your special day.
  • Options
    If you haven't gotten the shirts yet, skip those and spend that money on real gifts. Why would you waste money on something to be worn once? You're never even going to display getting-ready pictures anyway, so there's less than zero point to having everyone be matchy-matchy.
  • Options
    As long as they aren't expected to wear  the jewelry on the wedding day, that can count as your gift. It would be best if the jewelry was made individual to them and not all the same, but it isn't required.

I suggest that you present the jewelry on the night of the rehearsal dinner, separate from the wedding-related things, as they aren't actually gifts.
  • Options
    You aren't really giving them a gift, everything you're doing for them is to be used on the day of your wedding. In all honestly, I would skip the bridal party clothing. To me, it is a waste of money only to be worn one day. Get them each something more personalized to their own tastes as a gift instead.
  • Options
    I am pretty sure I had this exact same post a while ago - so I get how you're feeling right now.  Pretty much all of the weddings most of us go to we are given something to be worn/used the day of the wedding, so we get used to it.

Consider getting them a sweet gift to be used separately.  It doesn't have to be expensive or extravagant.  Some people say you should get them all a different gift, I chose to get them all a very similar gift... As to this you know your girls and you will know if they will all like the same thing or if you will need to get them different gifts.
  • Options
    Skip the "getting ready" clothing.  Many women don't like to be photographed in states of undress while getting ready for a wedding-and even if they wear the outfit and pose for "getting ready" photos, they never wear that outfit again.  And as PPs have said, I'd skip anything to be worn on the wedding day itself because that's not a gift.

I'd give them personalized gifts that fit within your budget.
  • Options
    Jen4948 said:
    Skip the "getting ready" clothing.  Many women don't like to be photographed in states of undress while getting ready for a wedding-and even if they wear the outfit and pose for "getting ready" photos, they never wear that outfit again.  And as PPs have said, I'd skip anything to be worn on the wedding day itself because that's not a gift.

I'd say you can do both.  I have robes for my maids (they wont be photographed in them - it's just better to have robes for hair and makeup rather than a tee shirt) but that's in addition to their gift.  It's FINE to give them stuff for the day of as long as you have something for them in addition to that.

That being said if your pocket book is hurting and you HAVEN'T already purchased the day of stuff then it is safe to skip that.
  • Options
    antoto said:
    Jen4948 said:

I'd say you can do both.  I have robes for my maids (they wont be photographed in them - it's just better to have robes for hair and makeup rather than a tee shirt) but that's in addition to their gift.  It's FINE to give them stuff for the day of as long as you have something for them in addition to that.

That being said if your pocket book is hurting and you HAVEN'T already purchased the day of stuff then it is safe to skip that.
    Most women know not to wear t-shirts that have to be pulled over their heads when they are getting their hair and makeup done.

And even though you are giving me a robe to wear I will most likely still wear a button down shirt or tank top that I can slip down over my butt and legs under it.

• Options
    antoto said:
    Jen4948 said:

Most women know not to wear t-shirts that have to be pulled over their heads when they are getting their hair and makeup done.

And even though you are giving me a robe to wear I will most likely still wear a button down shirt or tank top that I can slip down over my butt and legs under it.
    I fully anticipate one of my BM not wearing a button down.  I love her, but bless her heart she is a hippy.

I am totally fine with them wearing whatever they want - they don't even need to wear the robes at all.  Just a friendly gesture - something I would personally appreciate and think they will as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards