Wedding Reception Forum
Options

How to make a standard guest book more interactive?

My fiance, bless his heart, bought me a guest book & personalized pen as one of my Christmas presents. he knows how to handle my anxiety: get things done! Anyway, originally I was going to do a signed photo or whatnot...but am now definitely using this traditional guest book. Now I'm just trying to think of ways to make it more "interactive." 

I thought I could maybe put a question at the top of each page for people to answer, along with their normal entry -- like "love is never having to..." or "a perfect pair or did opposites attract?" that kind of thing. I'm not sure how well it would work. Has anyone ever done anything with instant Polaroids at weddings? I thought I could have that set up next to the guest book and people could put the Polaroid in the book next to their entry... Any other ideas for how to engage people more and make the guest book more personal? 

Thanks!! 

Re: How to make a standard guest book more interactive?

  • Options
    We are planning to do the Polaroid thing. I went to a wedding once where they did that and they had one of their friends walk around and take pictures of guests then the guest glued the picture in the book and wrote a message next to it. It worked out pretty well. You could also have little photobooth props like hats and glasses on the table for people to use for their picture.
  • Options
    Awesome, I'm so glad this has been done before. Do you remember what they had the guests glue them in with? I guess a simple glue stick would work. I kind of like it because it merges the photobooth idea with the guestbook... thank you! 
  • Options
    We made a photo guest book on Shutterfly-- for around $30 we got a hardbound book with large glossy pictures (our engagement photos) and plus room for guests to sign.
  • Options
    Polaroid would be nice, if everyone participated. You would need someone to "man" the station though to instruct guests to get their photo first, then either have supplies available or someone to assist with gluing/taping the photos in. The advice idea is nice too. Perhaps a question on each page, and guests can choose which question to answer. We had a traditional guest book, because the venue offered it. But we also had a photo booth set up during cocktail hour where guests could write a message on a white board (or chalk board) and get a photo with that.
  • Options
    You could stick them with Glue Dots or another quick adhesive from Michael's or Jo Ann's.  I use Glue Dots all the time for scrapbooks and they are a super easy, no-mess adhesive.  Also, sometime's I see them on sale 2/$5.  You might need a few boxes though because you will probably use 3-4/photo.  
  • Options
    You could stick them with Glue Dots or another quick adhesive from Michael's or Jo Ann's.  I use Glue Dots all the time for scrapbooks and they are a super easy, no-mess adhesive.  Also, sometime's I see them on sale 2/$5.  You might need a few boxes though because you will probably use 3-4/photo.  
    I actually just found some polaroid film that is sticky on the back -- so if I can find that on sale (the cheapest polaroid film is about .67 / slide that I can find, and it's not that kind!) that would be the easiest i guess. Fewer steps. Otherwise those glue dots are perfect. Thanks!! 
  • Options
    SP29 said:
    Polaroid would be nice, if everyone participated. You would need someone to "man" the station though to instruct guests to get their photo first, then either have supplies available or someone to assist with gluing/taping the photos in. The advice idea is nice too. Perhaps a question on each page, and guests can choose which question to answer. We had a traditional guest book, because the venue offered it. But we also had a photo booth set up during cocktail hour where guests could write a message on a white board (or chalk board) and get a photo with that.
    I did think about that, re: someone having to encourage full participation... maybe I can get a niece to do that for a time to get it going. 
  • Options
    My fiance manned the polaroids at one wedding. They had a guest book made for polaroids, so you just had to slip the picture in the slots, no gluing. But you really do need an outgoing guest to take the shots, and encourage everyone to get their picture taken for the book. The one tough thing to keep in mind is that people are used to digital film and getting to see the pic, and try again until they get a good one, and get a copy, etc.. With the polaroid it's "one and done"! 

    We're planning to do the "title" at the top of each page with a question/comment to respond to. I believe this is called a "conversation starter guest book". We're also going to get the book printed ourselves with our engagement photos. 



  • Options
    MandyMost said:
    My fiance manned the polaroids at one wedding. They had a guest book made for polaroids, so you just had to slip the picture in the slots, no gluing. But you really do need an outgoing guest to take the shots, and encourage everyone to get their picture taken for the book. The one tough thing to keep in mind is that people are used to digital film and getting to see the pic, and try again until they get a good one, and get a copy, etc.. With the polaroid it's "one and done"! 

    We're planning to do the "title" at the top of each page with a question/comment to respond to. I believe this is called a "conversation starter guest book". We're also going to get the book printed ourselves with our engagement photos. 



    Oh cool, I hadn't heard that there were guest books designed for polaroids. I'll look up the phrase "conversation started guest book" and see if i can come up with more ideas for questions ... I think it's a cute idea! Thanks Mandy. 
  • Options
    mollykmac said:
    MandyMost said:
    My fiance manned the polaroids at one wedding. They had a guest book made for polaroids, so you just had to slip the picture in the slots, no gluing. But you really do need an outgoing guest to take the shots, and encourage everyone to get their picture taken for the book. The one tough thing to keep in mind is that people are used to digital film and getting to see the pic, and try again until they get a good one, and get a copy, etc.. With the polaroid it's "one and done"! 

    We're planning to do the "title" at the top of each page with a question/comment to respond to. I believe this is called a "conversation starter guest book". We're also going to get the book printed ourselves with our engagement photos. 



    Oh cool, I hadn't heard that there were guest books designed for polaroids. I'll look up the phrase "conversation started guest book" and see if i can come up with more ideas for questions ... I think it's a cute idea! Thanks Mandy. 
    I think the polaroid idea is great- I hate no idea they still existed!!  It's like a DIY photobooth. . . are you going to have some fun props?

    I like the conversation guestbooks in theory, but in practice I think that very few ppl actually answer the questions or write out advice.  I know I am guilty of either never signing a standard guestbook or just signing the conversation ones and not actually doing the interactive part ><

    "Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."


  • Options
    Do you want a large crowd of people waiting around trying to figure out how to interact with your guestbook, or people interacting with each other? Take his gift of not having to worry about this and run with it.
  • Options
    Do you want a large crowd of people waiting around trying to figure out how to interact with your guestbook, or people interacting with each other? Take his gift of not having to worry about this and run with it.
    Hmm... well, that is a good point. 

    I have started to think in recent months that maybe I'll break up the polaroid thing and the conversation starter guest book. might reduce the crowding you bring up! People would probably get impatient and move on if it is too involved. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards