Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Seating arrangement...where to set our daughter?

I was just thinking about seating arrangements. My fiance and I have a 1 year old who will be at the reception until just after dinner. I was just curious where we should sit her. I think I want a head table. Should I sit her with us and the bridal party or should I sit her with my parents and fiances parents? If we decided to do a sweetheart should she be with us or our parents? What I am thinking is if shes with us and we have to get up and thank guests she would be left alone at the table or we would have to wait for her to finish eating. I want to make sure we get to thank everyone for coming and we will have about 180 guests. Also, shes a bit of a messy eater on a completely silly note, im afraid shed spill her dinner on my dress!!! lol! Just curious of what others think or would do!! 

Re: Seating arrangement...where to set our daughter?

• Options
    Do you have a trusted baby-sitter that is not family?  I would hire him/her for the day so that she can still be there but you and your family can enjoy the day without having to make sure she is safe and content.

Even if your parents love her to pieces (which I'm sure they do) you will want them to enjoy the day as much as you and FI will.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Options
    petersk09 said:
    We do have a babysitter. She will be at the wedding and then taking her back to the hotel around bed time. I like that idea. Maybe I would sit the babysitter and my daughter at the table with my parents that way my daughter has familiar faces but the babysitter can make sure shes feed and cleaned up. I was thinking of just having the babysitter be a guest until bedtime but it would make since for her to be the one to have eyes on her the majority of the time.  We all love her to pieces and finding the balance between enjoying the day and including her has been tough since she is still so young! 
    I think this is the best option.

My sister, also my Matron of Honor, has three kids (almost 3 and 1 year old twins).  Even though her husband would be there and lots of friends and family willing to cuddle babies I wanted to make sure that my parents and sister were able to enjoy the day without making sure that the kids were not knocking over the cake or playing with the candles.  I told my sister that I would gladly feed anyone she wanted to bring to help with the kids and she had her MIL come and help.

It was the perfect solution for us.  The kids had a familiar face and when it was getting to be nap time (we had a morning ceremony and lunch reception) she was able to take them home before they kicked up a big fuss. Everyone got to see the kids and they were there for the ceremony and family pictures but everyone still had a good time without stressing out.

photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Options
    If I had a child, I would want my child to sit with me.  Actually, I think it would look extremely odd to not have your child with you.  I know someone whose children did not sit with them and people commented about how weird it was. 

Let the babysitter take over after dinner.  I would suggest doing a receiving line so that you get to speak with everyone before dinner.  Then you can still try to be as sociable as possible after dinner once your babysitter takes your daughter.  Your wedding, just like everything else, will be different when you have a kid.  
  • Options
    I think you've found the perfect solution. Have your daughter eat with her grandparents and a trusted babysitter, whether you have a head table or sweetheart table. If she gets restless, the babysitter will be able to entertain her. 

• Options
    I think you've found the perfect solution. Have your daughter eat with her grandparents and a trusted babysitter, whether you have a head table or sweetheart table. If she gets restless, the babysitter will be able to entertain her. 
    Ditto this.  As a grandparent and a MOB I would NOT be happy to spend my DD's wedding dinner feeding a one year old - even if she was my beautiful granddaughter.  The sitter being seated with your parents and feeding your DD is a great solution for all.

If you sit her with you, YOU are going to miss your wedding dinner!
  • Options
    petersk09 said:
    We do have a babysitter. She will be at the wedding and then taking her back to the hotel around bed time. I like that idea. Maybe I would sit the babysitter and my daughter at the table with my parents that way my daughter has familiar faces but the babysitter can make sure shes feed and cleaned up. I was thinking of just having the babysitter be a guest until bedtime but it would make since for her to be the one to have eyes on her the majority of the time.  We all love her to pieces and finding the balance between enjoying the day and including her has been tough since she is still so young! 
    This sounds like the best solution to me.  She'll still be at the wedding under trusted supervision, but you and your parents won't be burdened with her care to the point that you and they can't enjoy yourselves.
  • Options
    I love the idea of having the babysitter with you all day. When everyone is getting ready, your daughter is getting the attention she needs and you can relax and enjoy your day as can both grandparents. Enjoy your day and your beautiful daughter.
  • Options
    I just want to make sure: is the babysitter a guest or is she being paid to do this?

Daisypath Wedding tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards