Chit Chat
Options

I am side-eyeing the shit out of FI's cousin right now

We got our invitation to his wedding in the mail yesterday, and I am not amused.
*****      sakes, I had to go urban dictionary "OP" because I thought I was getting its definition wrong this whole time.          Damn you OP...makin' me doubt myself n'       ****     .

1 - One invitation, addressed to the FILs and to us. It was nice of them to include us, but we're adults and should get our own invitation.
2 - It looks like a hipster graphic designer threw up on a baroque-inspired pre-cut card. Ew. Hard to read, way too much going on, and just ew.
3 - They are asking for cash. Not even on an insert, right there on the freaking invitation.
4 - Cash bar. Which, by the way, only takes cards not actual cash.
5 - "Regret, no children." Need I say more? I get that the venue they've chosen is a little weird on the kiddie thing, but yuck, yuck, yuck.

Ew Gross

I am so annoyed right now, I don't even know what to do with myself. This is a black tie event, at a venue that is pretty much the pinnacle of SA weddings. It books out years in advance, so either they booked the venue before they got engaged - in which case they had plenty of time to save up and host us properly, or they somehow got themselves bumped up the wait-list - in which case they have plenty of money to host us properly and should just have picked another venue.

From what FI has told me of the family, they are pretentious as, so I guess it's kinda to be expected.

I'm not going, mainly because I'm saving for my own damn wedding, where I intend to host my guests properly, and I can't justify spending money on a dress that I'll never wear again, to travel 5 hours (with all the associated costs) to go to the wedding of two people I have never met and will probably never see again, to fork out more cash as a wedding present, and yet more so I can not die of thirst at their wedding. /rant

Angry Joey

You may also have gathered that I'm more than a little grumpy this morning. I could not fall asleep last night. When I eventually did, I was woken up by stomach cramps that would fell an elephant - too late in the night to get back to sleep properly, and too early to just get up and get started on the day. So I lay in bed imagining all kinds of horrible things, because that's what I do in the dark. I eventually drifted off again, and Peanut pulled over a pile of stuff of one of the chairs next to the bed - including all our personal electronics. So I got up and put everything back in its place, got back into bed, and hadn't even closed my eyes yet when the FILs alarm went off and they started getting up and dressed for work, which they do loudly. FI got up shortly after that, and I attempted to go back to sleep, but Peanut decided to attack my tape measure loudly. So I'm currently operating on about 3 hours sleep in total, and I do not have energy for this day.

Tired

imageDaisypath Friendship tickers

Re: I am side-eyeing the shit out of FI's cousin right now

• Options
    afox007 said:
    I think it stopped being a black tie event when they decided on a cash bar.
    I couldn't agree more.

I'm not sure they even know what black tie actually means though. It seems no one in SA understands that dress codes actually mean things.

FI and I were invited to an event last year and were told that dress was smart casual. So I went in my best long skirt, a nice top (which I bought specially because I didn't have anything smart casual) with a blazer, and a silver scarf because it was the middle of winter. I also wore ballerina flats because all my "good" shoes are in storage, and I nearly froze my feet off. We got there and literally all the girls were dressed like this: image

I'm sorry, but in what universe is THAT smart casual? That's "time for an outride" casual... I could have worn my army boots and been warm!
  • Options
    JMalettasJMalettas member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited February 2014
     The fact that you didn't get your own invitation is annoying. Back a couple of years ago, friends of ours, (that at the time knew my H well, but I'd only met a few times), addressed our invite to my husband + guest. We weren't married at the time, but did live together, and were engaged within 2 months of the invite. Not like a 'casual' or 'just dating' scenario. Needless to say, I found that quite odd. Furthermore, this couple is now good friends to us both. So I have no idea what was going on there. 

I wouldn't have particularly cared what the card looked like, minus the 'cash-bar' & 'cash-gifts' printed directly on the invite! Lmao. *Tacky*! I guess to some extent, I'd rather know it's going to be a cash bar, & be prepared to be forking over w/e it is for a drink-BUT, I'm sure there 'has' to be a classier way to get that msg across. I was talking to someone not that long ago, who had been to a cash bar wedding, where most guests apparently didn't know that it was going to be a cash bar, & he said that people were going back to the cards they gave, & taking back $ for drinks. (*Definitely* not something I would do, but slightly hilarious). We had an open bar at our wedding, but for guests to purchase w/e from the bar, (had they had to), it was over $5/drink. I couldn't imagine hosting an evening, and expecting anyone to pay that. :S 

*J
  • Options
    I didn't really care what the invitation looked like, but it was difficult to read - everything was pulling focus and I found it really difficult to stay on one line. If it's difficult for me to read, as someone who has decent eyesight and deals with graphic design on a daily basis, I wonder what it's like for some of the older family members...

Yeah. Cash bars are tacky, but if there's going to be a cash bar I would much rather know about it beforehand than get caught with no cash. Because really, who takes cash to a wedding unless it's for the B&G or they need to take a cab home?

True story: my matric dance (senior prom-ish thing) had a cash "bar" (soda etc) that literally no one - not even the teachers - knew about until we got there. This after we had to shell out $36 for a ticket, when in previous years the dance was organised and paid for by the Gr 11s. Our Gr 11s organised the party, but were so crap at fundraising they couldn't even pay for balloons to decorate the hall - they had to be donated by the incoming head-girl's mom. When my year hosted, we did a full-on Winter Wonderland theme, complete with an honour guard dressed like something out of Anastasia, there was a limited bar, we gave each of the matric girls a gift, which if I remember correctly was either a mirror or a photo frame that had been laser-engraved, and their dates were given an etched whiskey tumbler. What did we get as our gifts? A bag of musty potpourri and a lipliner pencil in a shade that really didn't flatter anyone, and the guys got peak caps. Anyway, no one at my table had any cash on them. I had some because my then-boyfriend and I were headed straight to the after-party and wouldn't have time to go home and pick up cash, so I ended up paying for everyone's drinks all evening. The really crap part? The school rules were no one could leave until the dance ended at midnight, because of stupid insurance/indemnity issues, so we were all stuck being totally miserable until 12!
  • Options
    urbaneca said:
    afox007 said:
    I couldn't agree more.

I'm not sure they even know what black tie actually means though. It seems no one in SA understands that dress codes actually mean things.

FI and I were invited to an event last year and were told that dress was smart casual. So I went in my best long skirt, a nice top (which I bought specially because I didn't have anything smart casual) with a blazer, and a silver scarf because it was the middle of winter. I also wore ballerina flats because all my "good" shoes are in storage, and I nearly froze my feet off. We got there and literally all the girls were dressed like this: image

I'm sorry, but in what universe is THAT smart casual? That's "time for an outride" casual... I could have worn my army boots and been warm!
    Please clairfy- smart casual? What is that?
  • Options
    urbaneca said:
    afox007 said:
    I couldn't agree more.

I'm not sure they even know what black tie actually means though.
    The problem is that "black tie" is not a dress code, contrary to popular belief ><

In fact, I bet that your cousin's wedding isn't even black tie at all, well I mean I know it isn't because they are having a cash bar. . . they just threw that on the invitation because they wanted people to dress up.

Hugs for @urbaneca.  Good on you for declining!

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    What is SA, btw?  I googled it and the 1st thing that came up was a link to Sexaholic's Anonymous. . .

South Africa?

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    I was thinking San Antonio, TX @PrettyGirlLost.
  • Options
    This is all kinds of wrong. I'm so glad you're not attending.

• Options
    That is the most atrocious peice of shit i have ever as a graphic and web designer laid my eyes on.well at least they didn't use comic sans. Please tell me you burned it at least.I'm going to go hide I'm the corner now.
  • Options
    I was thinking San Antonio, TX @PrettyGirlLost.
    Makes waaaaaay more sense, duh ><

Wow, we have two users who have pumpkins in their SNs?!  Nice!

I want to see the invitation.

• Options
    urbaneca said:
    afox007 said:
    I couldn't agree more.

Ugh I'm so sick of that outfit.  Everywhere I go pretty much every girl is wearing this exact outfit, except with uggs and maybe a north face thing instead of a vest.  I can't wait until spring when everyone is forced to dress differently because it's too warm for uggs and north face.
  • Options
    urbaneca said:
    afox007 said:
    I couldn't agree more.

Ugh I'm so sick of that outfit.  Everywhere I go pretty much every girl is wearing this exact outfit, except with uggs and maybe a north face thing instead of a vest.  I can't wait until spring when everyone is forced to dress differently because it's too warm for uggs and north face.
    So here is where I get uber bitchy and say "Ladies, if you aren't an actual equestrian, quit trying to pass as one by wearing our tall boots.  Thanks."

We don't wear puffy vests like that out East :-P

• Options
    I believe Urbeneca is from South Africa if my TK memory serves me.
  • Options
    OliveOil is right; urbaneca is from South Africa.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    OliveOil is right; urbaneca is from South Africa.
    So I was right with my initial gut feeling?!

• Options
    Yep :) I believe she's used the abbreviation several times. I've always taken it to mean South Africa.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    KytchynWitcheKytchynWitche member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2014
    You could always send them a nice card...full of monopoly money.
    I will definitely suggest this to FI when he wakes up!

ETA 'cause I missed it on my first readthrough: @sarahufl - Smart casual is basically dressing comfortably but "classy". I usually say that smart casual is what business casual becomes after dark. If you would wear it to an interview or business meeting, or to church, chances are you're on the right track. Decent trousers/skirt/dark jeans, a nice top/shirt/blouse, jacket/blazer depending on weather - everything clean and in good condition, obviously. At least that's how it's always been explained to me.
  • Options

I second this! Or you could always get them one of those dirty money things. Its basically just different sex ideas / stuff printed to look like money. A friend of mine got it for her hubby for Valentine's.
  • Options

I second this! Or you could always get them one of those dirty money things. Its basically just different sex ideas / stuff printed to look like money. A friend of mine got it for her hubby for Valentine's.
    I don't think FI knows his cousin well enough to be comfortable doing that, and I certainly don't! I was going to steal that idea for my sister's trainwreck of a wedding, but then I remembered where she met her FI, and I'm thinking they'd probably get a kick out of it instead of being suitably embarrassed. :(
  • Options
    Can I just say, your gifs made me laugh so hard! I feel like posts are always better with reactionary gifs :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards