Honeymoon Discussions

Highway 1 California

I'm looking into driving up highway 1 for my honeymoon and staying in places like Big Sur, Monterey, Santa Cruz, etc. Does anyone have advice about this trip or nice places to stay that are affordable? I feel like this would be more of an adventure and cheaper than Mexico or Carribean since we already live in Cali. Any suggestions/advice is appreciated!! We are planning on going the first week of June :)

Re: Highway 1 California

• We're planning to do this in September! Everything I've read says to head south on the Pacific Coast Highway (Route 1), not north. That way, you'll be on the ocean side the whole way. Here are some suggested itineraries I've bookmarked:

This is one of the most popular road trips in America, so if you just google "Pacific Coast Highway road trip," you'll get tons of information.

The other good advice I read is to plan at least three days for the trip. Technically, it's only about 7 hours to drive between San Francisco and Los Angeles, but PCH is super windy and you'll get worn out. Plus there's so much to see that you wouldn't want to rush!
  • I'm not familiar with the southern end of things, but I am very familiar with the Mendocino area and north of that going through the redwoods and stuff. It's amazing and I think everyone should do it- but bring the dramamine. I do know of a great cheap hotel in Crescent City if you go that far, and some fun stuff around Mendocino. 
  • I did this 30 years ago.  My only suggestion is Carmel.  Its a lovely town.
  • Splash Cafe in Pismo is always something I try to hit up!
  • emmyg65 said:
    We're planning to do this in September! Everything I've read says to head south on the Pacific Coast Highway (Route 1), not north. That way, you'll be on the ocean side the whole way. Here are some suggested itineraries I've bookmarked:

This is one of the most popular road trips in America, so if you just google "Pacific Coast Highway road trip," you'll get tons of information.

The other good advice I read is to plan at least three days for the trip. Technically, it's only about 7 hours to drive between San Francisco and Los Angeles, but PCH is super windy and you'll get worn out. Plus there's so much to see that you wouldn't want to rush!
    Bigfoot discovery museum?  I grew up in Santa Cruz and I've never even heard of it.  If you're (general you) going to hit up a weird site in Santa Cruz County it should be the Mystery Spot. 

OP, from where are you starting, and what time of year are you thinking?  You should definitely spend a day in Santa Cruz and at least half a day in Carmel, and of course do 17 Mile Drive.  Half Moon Bay is a nice place to wander a bit.  I would skip Pescadero, it's not worth the detour. 

If you're going in the summer the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk (California's oldest surviving amusement park) is great fun and right on the ocean, and wandering Pacific Garden Mall is a must-do for seeing the local wildlife (aka Santa Cruz Eccentrics).  If you're going in the fall Highway 1 north of Santa Cruz is riddled with pumpkin farms with mazes and rides and more.  I forget the name of the main walking street in Carmel, but it should be easy to find.  Carmel is not very large, but it is quaint and fun (and the houses don't have addresses!).  Big Sur is definitelu worth a wander too.

I've done the drive north more often than south and I actually prefer that direction, personally.

If you're going as far south as Santa Barbara let me know, I live here now and can recommend some sites and activities. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards