Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

On a budget but want good photography

So obviously, as just about everyone on here, I'm on a tight budget when it comes to anything wedding related.

My fiance an I have about $1000 (a bit more but around that amount) to spend on photography.
Now I am kinda picky on that subject because photography IS a hobby/passion/love of mine. But seeing as we our reception is a little complicated, we're kind of forced to limit the amount of money we can spend on other things.

So basically I need an ALL DAY photographer for our wedding, for about that price. Does anyone know of any photographers?
Please help!

Re: On a budget but want good photography

• Options
    You will have better luck posting on your own local board. Since this is an international board, the photographers would be really spread out.
  • Options
    I agree with mrscinema, you should post on your local board.  I can say, from what I've seen $1000.00 isn't going to get you reallllly good photography in most locations.  On my month board, we were all spread out all over the country and in Canada, and photography pricing ranged from $1200.00-5000.00.  The $1200.00 pricing was usually for one photographer, and often, someone just starting out. So may not be as talented and/or experienced. 
  • Options
    My photographer takes beautiful photos, and does have experience, but he isn't really super-established yet. He normally charges $2,100 for his package, which includes all day (8+ hours) coverage and an engagement shoot. I e-mailed him saying that while I loved his photos, he was a little out of my budget, and said we weren't interested in an engagement shoot and only needed him for about 4 hours (we're skipping "getting ready" photos and anything after first dance/cake cutting) and he came back with an offer of $1,000 since it was only a half day and had no engagement shoot. I was floored that he was willing to come down so much in price. I wouldn't suggest haggling like crazy or anything, but if you see a photographer offering packages that are more than what you're looking for, you might contact them and see if they're willing to work with you.
  • Options
    Im not too sure if you will be happy with the quality of your photos if you spend less than 1000.00. You can search for free photography contest or search for a student.
  • Options

Some other wedding photographers in your area may be able to refer you to a intern or someone they know that is just starting out, but even so $1000 for an entire day is probably going to be hard to find. 

• Options
    Shop around, message photographers you like and tell them your budget and see if they can work with you. We found an amazing photographer, who does weddings with his wife so we will have 2 photographers for the whole day and they are charging us $ 1300. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    It really does depend on your location. You probably won't find one if you live in California or New York but you may find one in Utah. Someone commented earlier that unless you can spend over $1000, your only other option is a student or aunt Sue. I fully disagree.
  • Options
    Oh for cryin' out loud, vendors are not allowed DV.  Didn't you read the TOS when you signed up?

• Options
    Hey @JoanE2012 thanks for looking out!!
  • Options
    Im not too sure if you will be happy with the quality of your photos if you spend less than 1000.00. You can search for free photography contest or search for a student.
    It depends. This is definitely a risky budget zone, but everything is possible.
    What do you mean by 'quality of your photos'? - General technical quality or technical quality+style+creativity? 
  • Options
    @sheymyname - what did you end up doing?
  • Options
    aja319aja319 member
    First Anniversary First Comment

I know this thread is a little old but wanted to offer my 2 cents in case anyone else reads it.

We were also on a budget so I posted an ad on Craigslist. We got a ton of responses and then weeded it out to the ones we felt were a good fit.

I ended up with a great photographer who freelances. Her price was under 1k and that includes a second shooter. She told me to not sign a contract with her until we did the engagement shoot and I was happy with those photos. It might take a little work but there are definitely people out there! Good luck.

• Options
    aja319 said:

I know this thread is a little old but wanted to offer my 2 cents in case anyone else reads it.

We were also on a budget so I posted an ad on Craigslist. We got a ton of responses and then weeded it out to the ones we felt were a good fit.

I ended up with a great photographer who freelances. Her price was under 1k and that includes a second shooter. She told me to not sign a contract with her until we did the engagement shoot and I was happy with those photos. It might take a little work but there are definitely people out there! Good luck.

I hope it works out for you.  Under 1k for 2 people just sounds too good to be true.  I would check references, reviews, etc.  The way I see it, if someone is that wonderful, they're going to be charging accordingly.  Doing things really cheap scares me.
  • Options
    You can't advertise here. @KnotPorscha
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards