Chit Chat

Surreal Moment

I'm thrilled when I think that I will soon be the wife of a man that is amazing to me. I never think of getting married as just the wedding day.

Still, for some reason, I just got this surreal feeling when I realized that my June wedding is not so far away anymore. I am getting so close to being a wife. Does anyone else get this way sometimes? Or did you if you are already married?

Last night, I was remembering when we first got together. My God, we were awkward. It was bad. We would barely look at each other while we were out with our mutual friends or at a show somewhere. I was 19 and he was 26 when we met. We weren't each other's first relationship, but still. Awkward City. I'm so glad that is over. I'm thrilled that it's 5 1/2 years later, and I am more comfortable around him than I am with anyone else on earth.

I am posting this here, because it needs to stay off Facebook. A sweet friend of mine just had her wedding (scheduled very soon) called off. I don't want to be inconsiderate and talk about my relationship. Not that I do it much anyway on Facebook.

Please tell me about any moments you had when you felt like, "Woah, this is real."

Re: Surreal Moment

• Awww, that is really sweet! The beginning of your relationship sounds really cute. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding, it will be here before you know it! 

I have those moments myself. Right now, it is more that sometimes I forget I am engaged. Just for a bit and I think of my fiance as my boyfriend and then I'm like whoa, wait! He is my fiance! And it feels so surreal to me because it makes me so happy. I knew that he was the one that I wanted to marry, and we were together a looong time before becoming engaged recently, so I will admit that there were points when I wondered when it was that we would become engaged. Or sometimes we will just be sitting on the couch, me reading or watching Madmen (my latest obsession), him playing on his ipad, my feet curled up on him and I just think, this is awesome. He is my fiance and one day we will be married. And I get a little burst of happiness inside :)
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• My wedding is in 2 weeks 5 days and I definitely had that moment today. I just can't believe it's really here!
  • Sometimes I feel a little bad reading some of this stuff. When I first got engaged I was so excited but a few things happened and we postponed twice, so five years later the excitement of being engaged has worn off and I probably won't feel like the wedding is actually happening until the day of and the ceremony has started.
  • Now 6 months out, all I can think about is "can't wait until September!!!!"
    We just moved in together, so now it feels way more real :)
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I thought being engaged would be a really happy, amazing time of my life, but actually for me it's just been like being in limbo. I just want the day to get here already and then I can just relax with my FH and not worry about what is getting done on the checklist.
  • kns1988kns1988 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited February 2014
    Your post is sweet! I love reading people's stories. I had a moment after we got engaged and all the initial craziness died down... I was in my car driving home from work, looked at my ring, and burst into happy tears. It was the first time it really hit me that we were actually getting married.

Then when we went to look at the chapel, I cried again. I'm not even a big crier usually! 

(edited for typo)
  • I've been married for six months and sometimes I still can't believe it! We found each other very unexpectedly, against several odds, and it just feels like such a crazy stroke of luck.
  • I feel this way almost every day. The fun of "planning" has worn off; now it is more of a chore that needs to be done. I am so ready for the MARRIAGE to start. He makes me so happy, and I keep daydreaming of the life we will have once we're married. Granted, most things won't change, but we'll be buying a house soon after and probably shortly starting a family, so I get excited about those things. The more I spend time with him, the more I realize the wedding day is just a day, and I get to spend my whole life with this wonderful man. I think it's great you feel that way!
  • I'm a little over 3 months out and I can't believe it's actually going to happen we are going to get married.  I can't wait for the day and I can't wait to be FI's wife and call him my husband!

Anniversary

• Mine's in September too! Since it's a 18 month engagement, I haven't had too many of those moments as it's not "whirlwind".  I had those moments of realness when we put down a deposit on a venue, and just the other day when we purchased our honeymoon tickets.

We don't live together yet and that's planned for a few weeks from now. OMG! But, a few weekends ago, I'd stayed overnight at his place and in the morning we were sitting on the couch, drinking coffee, joking around... all while in crappy pajamas and messy hair.  That's when I got a, "this is real life, and it's great" kind of warm-fuzzy. 

• Blergbot said:
    I thought being engaged would be a really happy, amazing time of my life, but actually for me it's just been like being in limbo. I just want the day to get here already and then I can just relax with my FH and not worry about what is getting done on the checklist.
    I switch back and forth between feeling in limbo and just feeling ridiculously excited. We aren't living together until we're married though, so it will be a huge change when we get married and I'm so excited. I can't wait to wake up next to him in the mornings :)
  • We are 33 days out and I can't wait.  It seems like it's been forever that we've been engaged but only a year. And the year has gone by so fast!   I logged into TK today with a one year badge, lol.  I always tell my FI how lucky I am to have him.  He is one of those sweet sentimental types that randomly posts something on Facebook declaring his love for me (that's so cheesy but I don't know how else to explain it).  I can't wait to become Mrs. FI.  I used to feel as if my career was everything but I'd give up anything to be with FI.  I've posted before that we were going to have a long distance marriage until he retires with the AF in three years because of logical things (good job, house here) but now I don't give a rats ass anymore.  I don't want to delay my life with him because of logic. 
  • I look at my ring daily, but since he's deployed, I think that it'll feel more "real" once he's back here and we move in together in early summer. Although then other times it hits me that I'm finally getting married!!!!  (in a year and 2 months, that is)  :D:D  It's also hard to believe that I get to marry this amazing man.  I want to be his wife, but then again, I don't want to rush the day too much - I want to enjoy it. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards